Car Talk

LondonRascal

1 hour ago, BroadAmbition said:

Zebedee - Spare key procurement - Yesterday did not go well

Got to the dealership, out he came with new key, which did open the door, but it doesn't have the capability of disabling the alarm & immobiliser and as a result won't start the engine either!  About as much use as a chocolate fireguard

So, he said he would look into it and ring me in due course which he did later on in the day.  The upshot of their research is that they can no longer provide one.  2023 and BMW can't provide a spare key for one of their own marques - Sheesh (Or stronger words to that effect)  A full refund was offered and accepted but doesn't solve the issue

I have used my circle of contacts and have a number to ring going down the non dealership route - We will see

Griff

On your age of BMW the key holds all the service data and mileage , I thought when you said the price it was very cheap the key they gave you is a basic key without the chip. These are available, a channel I watch called salvage rebuilds often get cars without keys but they normally pay around £200 for a chipped one. Must be someone close who can program one for you. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BrundallNavy said:

. These are available, a channel I watch called salvage rebuilds often get cars without keys but they normally pay around £200 for a chipped one. Must be someone close who can program one for you. 

Doug don't forget, they always say " We are trade and Liam always looks after us", As they put lots of customer to him through their association with him.

Zebedee spare key - Result

A self employed vehicle locksmith came out to our hovel earlier today.

He had to remove a box from inside. Opened up read the chip, coded and cut a new key, this time with buttons on it.  Put the box and trim back as he found it.  All to he good.  Whilst he was at it sorted out MrsG's spare key for her Q5 that had stopped working.  Job lot done and sorted for £120:00  Well worth it for peace of mind too :default_beerchug:

Griff

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Just recently renewed Trevor Transit annual insurance.

Rant time:-

I have an SP30 points makes prizes.

Dec 22 it went past the three year mark - Good (Now lets keep it clean for once Griffin)

However it stops on ones licence at DVLA for four years - Crazy - Why?

However my chosen insurance Co (And the other two I contacted) both ask for any motoring convictions with in the last FIVE years then load the premium accordingly

Another example of Rip-off-Britain

Griff

• Like 1

On 07/01/2023 at 12:22, BrundallNavy said:

On your age of BMW the key holds all the service data and mileage , I thought when you said the price it was very cheap the key they gave you is a basic key without the chip. These are available, a channel I watch called salvage rebuilds often get cars without keys but they normally pay around £200 for a chipped one. Must be someone close who can program one for you. 

I've watched Salvage Rebuilds for a couple of years now, two very able guys. 🙂

• 2 weeks later...

Ad Blue - Trevor Transit doesn't use it - Thank goodness

However MrsG's Q5 does and so does Daughters Q7 and her fiancés huge Merc thing.  I have two 10 x Litre containers that I replenish and keep full for each household.  I buy it from one of my farmer mates who has it stocked in 1000 x Litres containers for some of the more modern farm machinery

Price to me 50p a Litre.  I was told t'other day there than some outlets are charging up to £1:50 a litre - Wow that's some impressive profit

Griff

On 19/01/2023 at 21:50, BroadAmbition said:

Just recently renewed Trevor Transit annual insurance.

Rant time:-

I have an SP30 points makes prizes.

Dec 22 it went past the three year mark - Good (Now lets keep it clean for once Griffin)

However it stops on ones licence at DVLA for four years - Crazy - Why?

However my chosen insurance Co (And the other two I contacted) both ask for any motoring convictions with in the last FIVE years then load the premium accordingly

Another example of Rip-off-Britain

Griff

It's always been like that with points - Valid for 3 years, removed from your licence after 4

And insurance has always asked for convictions in last 5 years, even though your licence is technically 'clean'

But often they only want to know about accidents in the last 3 years

So you could be smashing every 3 years, and actually costing them loads of money ... and that is OK

But have points, that are almost unavoidable these days and haven't cost them anything, and oh no ... premium though the roof !

• Sad 1

Today I at last had some time to devote to Zebedee.

Out with the air box assembly and traditional paper air filter.

In with the the K&N induction kit.

Improved pick up, improved mpg and of course no longer having to shell out on a replacement air filter every service

Easy job, now for a test run

Next upgrade will be to do away with the huge noisy belt driven viscous cooling fan and replace it with an electric unit.  That'll save about 5hp

Griff

BA NBN 1224.jpg

BA NBN 1225.jpg

BA NBN 1226.jpg

• Like 1

On 03/02/2023 at 08:22, BroadAmbition said:

Ad Blue - Trevor Transit doesn't use it - Thank goodness

However MrsG's Q5 does and so does Daughters Q7 and her fiancés huge Merc thing.  I have two 10 x Litre containers that I replenish and keep full for each household.  I buy it from one of my farmer mates who has it stocked in 1000 x Litres containers for some of the more modern farm machinery

Price to me 50p a Litre.  I was told t'other day there than some outlets are charging up to £1:50 a litre - Wow that's some impressive profit

Griff

I just bought 10 ltrs of Redex Ad Blue from Screwfix for £22.60. Our local Shell garage has Ad Blue at £23.80 for 10 ltrs. Taking the P… or what.

• 3 weeks later...

Zebedee - Yesterday and today I got another upgrade ticked off the ‘To Do’ list.

I removed that huge heavy noisy viscous fan assembly along with the cowling.

I have replaced it with an electric 16” slimline fan.  Removing the viscous fan and cowling was simple.  Getting the electric fan mounted was not, try as I did I ended up having to remove the radiator completely consequently losing some engine coolant which is a bugger as I wasn't sure which type was in the cooling system (They mustn't be mixed) I replaced the lost stuff with universal coolant, this means that sometime soon I will now have to flush the whole cooling system out and refill with proper stuff - Sodding Typical

There is about 10mm clearance between the fan pulley and the electric fan motor

I also noticed that the ribbed serpentine drive belt for the water pump / alternator is starting to degrade / perish

I have ordered a replacement along with the aircon drivebelt too and will fit them both at the same time asap

Wiring the fan, thermostat and relay was straight forward.  Finding an ignition switched live in the main fusebox under the fuses was a right faf.

Getting the lid off in the first place was awkward and underneath it? - It’s a proper vipers nest under there with restricted access but find a suitable supply I did.  I even managed to get new electric fan power cable through the rubber loom housing fitting which I was chuffed with

Now need to fit an in-line 10amp fuse, you would have thought they would have supplied one with the electric fan cooling kit as it states one should be fitted but no and could I hellers like find one in my garage – Ordered one.  Which means of course after it has arrived I’ll then come across one in my garage – Sods law to the front as per the norm

I’ve bled the cooling system, set the automatic thermostat, then gone out for a road test – Much better.

The audible noisy fan is no more.  I have gained 5bhp which will aid acceleration and improve mpg

The engine now reaches operating temperature much quicker too

Onwards and upwards to the next issue which is a queue jumping flushing  / changing the coolant and two drive belts,

Griff

BA NBN 1229.jpg

BA NBN 1230.jpg

BA NBN 1231.jpg

BA NBN 1232.jpg

BA NBN 1233.jpg

BA NBN 1234.jpg

• Like 4

I was gonna get all sorts done on Zebedee today, however the Wx wasn't playing ball, rain showers on and off and a max temp of 6c So it can wait till tomorrow when hopefully it'll be a bit warmer and drier. I reckon I'm getting nesh in my dotage

What I did get sorted is a tonneau cover for the hood when it's folded down - given to me as a free gift from a shooting mate - Proper lucky and a fabric mesh wind deflector both second hand in good condition and genuine BMW items. the wind deflector has faded slightly so I have ordered some black spray dye to freshen it up. Apparently these wind deflectors are like hens teeth.

Then Grandson number three insisted on being chauffer driven for a mini ride out.

Sigh - Oh go on then, If I must!

Griff

BA NBN 1235.jpg

BA NBN 1236.jpg

BA NBN 1237.jpg

• Like 5

Really impressed with the wind deflector in my soft top. 👍

Can go to around 80 ish (not specifying what units 🫣) without undue wind in the hair and I stand , or rather sit, at 5'10" .

No good for the Hooligan in the back as we have to remove it though and stick to 70 and just have to see his ears flapping in the wind 😁 

No good for Zebedee I suppose as no back seats for children with no legs, unlike mine 😫

Zebedee:-

That's the in line fuse for the electric fan fitted.

Changed over both serpentine poly v drive belts, access was somewhat awkward but I suspect easier now the belt driven fan is no longer in place. The smaller a/c belt was fine only one tiny split on the inside, had miles n miles left in it. The main drive belt however had thousands of tiny splits. As a matter of course I changed them both, the smaller one has to come off anyroadup to get the bigger one off

I couldn't flush the cooling system and replace the coolant because like a proper twerp I have forgotten to purchase some deionised water so that'll have to wait for another weekend. I did however have the forethought to purchase a new thermostat gasket. Now I'm thinking seeing as I intend removing the thermostat housing as part of the flushing process I might as well renew the thermostat as I have no idea how long the present one has been installed. Another trip to BMW dealers this week then.

Now where oh where is the block coolant drain plug situated? Does it even have one?

Answers on a postcard (Replying in here would be even better)

Now, seeing as the sun is shining and its a balmy 9C, top down and off for the obligatory test drive - Any excuse as if I needed one

Griff

BA NBN 1238.jpg

• Like 2

No, we don't have a condenser drier, even if we did I doubt it would keep up with your beer intake :default_norty:

What was not as cheap as chips was a visit to my local BMW dealership to order a thermostat.  Only you can't, you have to order the thermostat complete with housing and gasket £98:00 + vat

As we say in Gods Country - HOW MUCH?  :default_icon_e_surprised:

Griff

• Haha 1

You could try a motor factor for a after market one, BMW dont make them they get them from a after market supplier in a BMW box and price them higher. If you look on your old one it will have the manufactures stamp on it somewhere. When they do fail they fail in the open position so they dont over heat the engine, it then takes longer to heat up or runs at a cooler temperature. John

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If it's not overheating don't change it, if it ain't broke and all that....

Which is a school of thought that I subscribe to.  However the thermostat presently fitted could be twenty years old with 73'000m under it.  Seeing as I have to remove it to enable a proper and thorough coolant flush out it kinda made sense to change it whilst I'm at it, that means at least a new gasket, at least the replacement thermostat / housing comes with a gasket

You could try a motor factor for an after market one.

I have and no joy, must have looked at over twenty of em from different suppliers on Ebay, none of them fitted my model

In this case I have decided to bite the bullet - The genuine Bmw one is ordered, collect Thursday.  Coolant flush planned for Saturday afternoon, Wx permitting

Griff