The Scroat's That Did It Need Stringing

I didn't want to hijack "The Q'"s thread regarding model railways, so have started this one.

Those that have read that thread will be aware of a really bad occurrence of vandalism, and I have plagiarized one of the responses as the title here.

The question I'd like to put to you dear reader, is what punishment actually fits the crime, and do any members have any ideas fore new punishments that are, in particular, appropriate for the younger generation.

One reason I ask this is that I have an idea, dependent on modern technology. Would it be possible to develop a transmitter that has a range of no more than 12 inches that blocks the radio waves from (or to) cordless devices. This device to be worn as a bracelet like a watch. It's purpose would be to remove the ability to use mobile phones. The only internet available to them would then only be corded internet computers.

• Like 2

Sounds like a good punishment although I fear that for every clever electronic device there is someone with an even cleverer hack to sell.

I would like to see as part of any sentence some lessons in simple empathy. Whether it's mindless vandalism or serious assault the perpetrators seem to have no connection or care about how their victims are affected, often for the rest of their lives.

Best way would be for all the perpetrators worldly goods, laid out on a long length of steel girder. The owner of the goods wrecked by the perpetrator then appears, with a big hammer and then smashes the worldly goods to smithereens.

• Like 1

I see the perceived "revenge value" of that FTM, but sentimental value is something that one develops over the years. Youngsters have little or no understanding of it. To hit their "Oh no, that's not fair" button will take the removal of something they really value. Access to facebook, twitter and the rest of the mobile social network, seems to me to be the one thing treasured by the vandal age group.

Closing down and deleting the history of their accounts might work if my "invention" is unviable 

• Like 2

A fitting punishment would be for the “scum” to be dressed in bright orange boiler suits (as in some US states) and have to spend every weekend for a year performing tasks such as cleaning hedgerows of rubbish , sanding and painting of railings in public parks , removing gum from the pavements and whatever other tasks that would keep them in the public eye until they felt a modicum of shame and regret for their senseless actions .

the added bonus of this would be a financial benefit to the local council and allowing the council workers who normally do these menial jobs to concentrate their skills where best needed 

• Like 4

On my way home from work by bus, I use the bus from the station about  10 minutes. Often full of kids. Aged from 6/7 to 16+.They think the bell's a toy shout taking up all the seats.Make them walk exercise will do them good.Introduce them to a football/cricket bat.

39 minutes ago, Paws said:

Put them in the army for two years like we did it didn't do us any harm only good 

Bring back National Service!   

We did 34 years between us (Army and Wraf) and as you say was all to the good.  Plus we got a pension each out of it!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think all youngsters should have to give a year  of compulsory national civilian service. This would help them grow up, teach them respect for others - people and property, help to integrate them with the rest of society and get them used to working. It would also provide a useful source of low-cost labour for everything from caring for the elderly, to fruit and veg picking, recycling, cleaning dirty road signs, cleaning beaches and keeping our streets clean.  What about their human rights? Human rights should be earned and should be coupled with human responsibilities. Eligibility for any and all benefits should be predicated on people completing their national service. Timing should be after leaving school and before taking up full time work or further education. I'm not saying it would stop all the nastiness that is going on at the moment, but it would go a long way towards it. There should also be a military option for those youngsters interested in later pursuing a career in the armed forces.

• Like 5

There is one consolation in all of this.   They will all grow up and all this namby pamby pc nonsense will come back and bite them all on the bum.  Shame I personally wont be around to see it.   Bet discipline in schools and the home will come back toot sweet as soon as it affects them.     Bit like the bosses at work,  if it affected them , something was done about it.

• Like 1

I think a suitable punishment might be to make them attend the meetings of the club and assist in the repair of the damage they caused, then they would get to know the people they have caused suffering to, they will gain an insight into the amount of work that goes in to a model railway layout, and on top of that they may also gain a new interest that would keep them off the streets.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Lets hope the judge is a model railway enthusiast.

I know this won't happen but I'd like to see all their tech,I.e. PlayStation,Xbox, mobile, bedroom tv and laptops sold at auction, with them watching so they see how little they will fetch, and then, after commission of cause, made to hand over the money to the club at one of the meets.

These kids lack values and ambition. Everything they have comes ready to use strait from the box once plugged in. No effort required.

I was lucky enough to have a father teach me how to tap a thread, cut a tenon and solder a joint when about ten. Later to watch him scratch build a 5" gauge Britania class live steam loco.

Sadly, I doubt, the parents of these lower life forms will be able to pass on anything of value and the social worker will say it's because they come from a deprived background.

Deprived, my ar5e.

Bring back borstal

Colin :default_drinks:

• Like 4

I personally think whoever is responsible for this carnage is unlikely to ever learn much respect for other people or property period.  

They have got very serious issues going on inside their head.  

No doubt their actions may try to be excused by some event they might have been exposed to at some point in their life/lives but I think it boils down to the fact that some people are just born bad and not worth any time or effort being spent trying to rehabilitate them.  

I wouldn't waste any time on them other than what it takes to give them a good hiding.  

Thats the problem nowadays, whats for troublemakers to fear?

• Like 5

On 21/05/2019 at 13:47, Hylander said:

What I would do is unprintable.  This country has got to stop being so darn soft on the criminals.

Best answer so far, and one i totally agree with.

As someone posted above about putting all there personal and prized possessions on an iron girder, i would put put their hands and wedding tackle on the girder and hit them with a sledge hammer, several times as well.

• Like 1