Peoples Disgusting Habits

troutman62

Whilst enjoying a pleasant week (mainly fishing ) in a property near summercraft boatyard , we have observed on a daily basis  a gentleman in a nearby private property who has two dogs.

I find it apalling that he throws all the dog faeces straight into the dyke.As an angler i appreciate that the rivers arent very clean at the best of times but this is disgusting. Dirty s..

Interesting one this. I will neither condemn nor condone the gentleman's actions but will put to all readers the question of where lines should be drawn.

My mooring is ….. shall we say "rich in the leavings of geese". Would it be unreasonable of me were I to kick these into the water, and if not, what is the difference?

Back in the day, on the canal network, it was common practice to empty portaloos in a hole one dug just away from the towpath, covering the contents cat like, with the soil one had dug out. (remembering not to 'pat it down' too hard). I understand that this is no longer considered acceptable practice and more facilities are now available.

These days it is not unheard of to find human waste on some wild moorings. This I find unacceptable, yet had the 'doner' buried said detritus I would have thought it fine.

As I said, the question is, where do we draw the line?

When we used to moor on the Ely Ouse some years ago we were moored for a couple of days at Littleport and observed a man walking 2 Bearded Collies 3 times a day each time allowing them to foul the footpath without making any attempt to remove the mess. We pointed out to him what an antisocial  thing he was doing and his response was  to say he would keep right on doing it and if we didn't like, too bad! Now that was truly disgusting

Carole

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Smoggy said:

Stick and flick beats the idiots that leave bags in trees any day, the river is tidal and turds are natural.

Just enjoy your swim, a d don't eat the fish.....

When walking in popular dog walking areas the pungent aroma of dog excrement on a warm day highlights why stick & flick is a very bad idea.  Its just storing up a hidden mess that will probably have to be dealt with in the future, or maybe some exploring children will find it first.......

The difference between the mess ducks swans geese and dogs leave is one is a bonafide meat eater and the others tend to be vegetarian.  

If i had seen this dog excrement being lobbed in the water, Id be saying something.  If the practice was acceptable we wouldn't be fitting boats with holding tanks (most) would we. 

If people cant be bothered to responsibly dispose of the dogs mess, don't get the dog.  Better in a plastic bag in land fill than a bush or the river. 

If you are in a suitable area like the middle of knowhere stick and flick is the best method, I would'nt do it in a park or popular dog walking area so use plastic bags.  Sadly plastic is casuing far more problems than dog poop, the so called bio degradable bags are even worse as most just degrade to smaller pieces of plastic !

Most of the smelly poo in our area comes from foxes, sadly our dog has a liking for rolling in it !! :facepalm:

• Like 1

Just a couple of things.

The Forestry Commission encourage stick it and flick it - its better than having the woods littered with plastic bags.

And there is no way dog poo is comparable to goose poo - geese are generally herbivores and that is certainly less noxious than that produced by dogs! 

4 minutes ago, marshman said:

Just a couple of things.

The Forestry Commission encourage stick it and flick it - its better than having the woods littered with plastic bags.

And there is no way dog poo is comparable to goose poo - geese are generally herbivores and that is certainly less noxious than that produced by dogs! 

Goose vs Dogs - Entirely my point when it comes to flicking it in the water....

The best option is to bag it and bin it, then when it reaches landfill its all in one place and in the meantime rather than having dog do flicked into the nearest bush....where anyone might one day go its more hygienic.  

Stick & Flick should not be being cited as a better option than chucking plastic bags full of crud all over the countryside because nobody should be doing this to start with.  Fox poo and other wildlife accepted..... they are wild! 

If humans went about the place doing there business on the ground and flicking it in to the long grass where would we be?  Why should dog mess be treated any differently. 

Again, if you don't want to buy dog poo bags your better off not being a dog owner. 

If I walked a big dog the same route every day and each time flicked its mess into the bushes....how long would it take before the place reeks....

This is just another daft practice being “recommended” by those that should know better. 

At least its in a hole....where nobody will ever go and if its remained inside the bag on its journey all the better.  Does dog poo biodegrade in weeks? Theres piles of it on the verges round here that have been there months!!  Along with our local so called country park....its everywhere.

I used to enjoy walking round the field tracks behind Norwich Airport on the Runway approach.....now a no go zone due to the stick it (and not even bother to flick it society). 

I do not subscribe to this plastic-less society.  There are inevitable consequences to our existence on this planet, yes we can minimise our uses of plastics but that aside we just have to be careful how we dispose of our waste.  

I would far sooner put dog mess in a plastic bag and in a bin tied up safely rather than leave it anywhere else for an unsuspecting person to end up getting covered in. 

34 minutes ago, Gretzky said:

We moored on one of our favorite wild moorings on the Ant a couple of years ago only to find toilet paper and... well number 2's all over. what is wrong with some people! They could have at least dug a hole and covered it up.

At least train toilets that deposit their contents onto the track should be a thing of the past soon.

Wouldn't be so bad if people remembered/could be bothered not to flush them when in a station.

39 minutes ago, Gretzky said:

We moored on one of our favorite wild moorings on the Ant a couple of years ago only to find toilet paper and... well number 2's all over. what is wrong with some people! They could have at least dug a hole and covered it up.

Day boat hirers have been known to have been caught short. No toilets, not even a bucket on a day boat and hirers without a clue as to what to expect when they hire a boat and set off on their adventure. We mustn't be too harsh.

3 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Day boat hirers have been known to have been caught short. No toilets, not even a bucket on a day boat and hirers without a clue as to what to expect when they hire a boat and set off on their adventure. We mustn't be too harsh.

That was certainly a challenge day-boating on the upper Shannon. Not that many moorings, and even fewer with toilets.

We spent some time wandering round one small village in search of a loo, finally finding one in the church.

5 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

That was a shock at the next christening! That was a font!

Was once doing a restroom refurb for a small office block, despite the door being locked somebody once used a brand new toilet pan which was in the middle of the room unconnected to anything and being installed the next day!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, dnks34 said:

The difference between the mess ducks swans geese and dogs leave is one is a bonafide meat eater and the others tend to be vegetarian.  

That’s the difference between wildlife and domestic pets. Goose poo is a real nuisance but only natural. Dogs on the other hand can lead to infections and disease. (Not sure geese go around sniffing each other’s bottoms!) I would far rather use a plastic poo bag for our dogs (and some are now biodegradable - bags not dogs) and dispose of it considerately than leave it anywhere public. That includes woods, fields, tracks and footpaths. No chance of children finding it then. It’s an interesting topic with the different views, particularly with the ‘then and now’ aspects. 

• Like 2

The trouble is bags are often NOT disposed of considerately - they are hung on branches, bushes and within Forest up north, it was the grit bin that was full of bags. The Forests just do not have enough staff to look after the trees these days, let alone go dog poo picking!

A number of companies are now using cornstarch degradable posting bags - these seem to have less issues as they are made from vegetables rather than oil.