Life Vests/jackets

We are seeking advice and hopefully pointing in the right direction on what are good quality life vests/jackets to purchase and if members have any links to the sites selling them

We recently bought shares in Moonlight Shadow and our first outing is 7th December so we have started seeking out essential items which will go in MS holdalls to take with us on each occasion so any advice on these or other items would be greatly appreciated

Hi.  We bought our life jackets from the chandlery at Wroxham.  They are self inflating, and have recently been rearmed.  They were bought when we bought into MS on 2011.  After 7 years enjoyment sold our shares last year.   Sue

PS, we retrofitted a crotch strap on one of them after watching a similar video as mentioned.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would recommend Sea Safe Systems life jackets. For two main reasons. Firstly they are  bespoke and British made but secondly and most importantly when it comes to servicing you just drop then off at Brundall Bay Marina ( as can any life jacket ) and they are then returned there.

By bespoke there is a good choice of cover material ( I have a tweed one for fishing and shooting ) and they also offer an embroidery service for crew name, boat name etc.

I am unable to post a link at present but just googleSea Safe Systems.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, ChrisB said:

I would recommend Sea Safe Systems life jackets. For two main reasons. Firstly they are  bespoke and British made but secondly and most importantly when it comes to servicing you just drop then off at Brundall Bay Marina ( as can any life jacket ) and they are then returned there.

By bespoke there is a good choice of cover material ( I have a tweed one for fishing and shooting ) and they also offer an embroidery service for crew name, boat name etc.

I am unable to post a link at present but just googleSea Safe Systems.

Thanks for this 

I am on the website now https://www.seasafe.co.uk/shop/ct/lifejackets/170n-i-zip-leisure-life-jackets and really do like the idea of regular servicing as to be fair it was something I hadnt even considered before.

We always supply our own on Lightning, though do have some for children on the boat, though these are only the bouyancy aid types. 

Seeing as you`re in Brundall, visit Brian Wards beside the railway crossing, and make sure you buy the right size and weight. It`s no good having a life jacket for someone who`s 10 stone, yet you weigh 14. Also, ensure they have crotch straps, and they are auto inflate, and always ensure the auto inflate gas canister is within its service time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, SueH said:

Hello Alan.  I don't know why Shadow hadn't gone this route.  Perhaps the current owners ought to bring it up?  Jay, as Chairman, perhaps could get them to discuss.  Sue

Hi Sue.  We discussed the fact that many of the cupboards on MS are full of ‘toot’ at the AGM this year.  Although there are theoretically only two double beds, we have accumulated seven double duvets and sufficient pillows for every bed.  There is a fishing box under the settee in the saloon (not even Colin, Cav or Geoff know who it used to belong to) and an old tv.  Cupboards and drawers are all full too, to the extent that one sometimes struggles to find space for your own belongings.  It has been agreed that we will meet on board at some point soon to go through everything and clear out some of the duplicated equipment - do we really need four frying pans?
With that in mind, do we really need to store six life jackets, when for the majority of the time, there would only be two people on board?  Maintaining them would also add to the annual costs, which have increased substantially since you sold you shares.  We have agreed to invest in repairing the sliding canopy over the winter, which obviously has been ignored for too long by previous members, as it has jammed regularly over the summer, incurring additional costs.  As a syndicate, I think the last thing we need at the moment, is the expense of buying and maintaining life jackets.

My opinion obviously, but as a current syndicate member with a 12% share, I think I’m entitled to express it.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

Hi Sue.  We discussed the fact that many of the cupboards on MS are full of ‘toot’ at the AGM this year.  Although there are theoretically only two double beds, we have accumulated seven double duvets and sufficient pillows for every bed.  There is a fishing box under the settee in the saloon (not even Colin, Cav or Geoff know who it used to belong to) and an old tv.  Cupboards and drawers are all full too, to the extent that one sometimes struggles to find space for your own belongings.  It has been agreed that we will meet on board at some point soon to go through everything and clear out some of the duplicated equipment - do we really need four frying pans?
With that in mind, do we really need to store six life jackets, when for the majority of the time, there would only be two people on board?  Maintaining them would also add to the annual costs, which have increased substantially since you sold you shares.  We have agreed to invest in repairing the sliding canopy over the winter, which obviously has been ignored for too long by previous members, as it has jammed regularly over the summer, incurring additional costs.  As a syndicate, I think the last thing we need at the moment, is the expense of buying and maintaining life jackets.

My opinion obviously, but as a current syndicate member with a 12% share, I think I’m entitled to express it.

Personally I would rather Julie and I have our own life jackets which we take with us and not use syndicate ones stored on MS, as I am then personally responsible for their maintenance and obviously our safety

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Mouldy said:

Hi Malcolm,

We had the same problem with Lightning.We had far too much clutter, of which people said "some people use them". My opinion is for things like games, captains hats, books etc etc, rather than clutter the boat with things most people don`t use, we decided to have a major de-clutter, it was surprising how much crap we got rid of. At our AGM last month, we decided to go a bit further and get rid of yet more little or unused clutter. 

It`s also worth remembering that it gives a much better impression to potential share owners when they look over a nice clean tidy and uncluttered boat.

• Like 2

If there is one thing you will need to know it is the rating of the jacket. At least 150  Newtons. Anything less is a bouancy aid.

If you are planning to go out in the big blue, Look for 250 Newtons.  Auto inflate or manual is your choice. I also carry a spares kit for mine (in the boat). They should have a whistle inside and I have added a torch.

Clive.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, SueH said:

Perhaps the current owners ought to bring it up?  Jay, as Chairman, perhaps could get them to discuss

Hi Sue

As always, anything is up for discussion in our group, however my personal opinion being someone used to having to take responsibility for one's own PPE, is that I wouldn't ever be satisfied by taking a lifejacket that I had not been completely personally responsible for, and should it not be fit for purpose then I know I am responsible.

Servicing is one thing, but care and consideration is another with regards to what happens to it between services is quite another. 

3 hours ago, Mouldy said:

We discussed the fact that many of the cupboards on MS are full of ‘toot’ at the AGM this year.  Although there are theoretically only two double beds, we have accumulated seven double duvets and sufficient pillows for every bed. There is a fishing box under the settee in the saloon (not even Colin, Cav or Geoff know who it used to belong to) and an old tv. Cupboards and drawers are all full too, to the extent that one sometimes struggles to find space for your own belongings.  It has been agreed that we will meet on board at some point soon to go through everything and clear out some of the duplicated equipment - do we really need four frying pans?

Toot :default_biggrin:

The toot isn't taking up space since I was last on board I hasten to add :default_norty:

2 hours ago, Tempest said:

Personally I would rather Julie and I have our own life jackets which we take with us and not use syndicate ones stored on MS, as I am then personally responsible for their maintenance and obviously our safety

Agree completely my friend :default_smile:

Auto inflate is always good but there are different versions, the regular auto ones can go off in the bag if stored a bit damp and then no good when you need them, the hammar auto ones need to be immersed  by 6" or so before the water gets into the auto bit and triggers (the auto bit is usually just a spring and rice paper) so will only trigger when dropped into the river.

I would always prefer to have my own LJ and know the service history and if lacking it's no-ones fault but mine, if getting an auto of any type make sure it can take a manual trigger and have one as a backup otherwise if you have a minor mishap you spend the rest of your time without an LJ or looking for a new trigger, the manual triggers do not go out of date and are very cheap.

With all of the above said I rarely wear my LJ on the rivers anyway but it's there if I feel the risks are higher than usual, at sea in good conditions it's usually over the back of my seat for quick fitting as a triggered LJ inside a  boat is a hinderance not a help, it's like liferafts should only ever be stepped up into never down, a sinking boat is better than a liferaft untill last minute (a burning boat is another matter).

Check an LJ once a year for air tightness but with a pump not breath or the cylinder starts to corrode from condensation.

• Like 1

We cull all items that are not part of the boats itinerary at the season start. Space is always a problem on any boat, you have to balance what is necessary and what is overkill and leave other items as part of the owners boat kit that they bring with them and take away at the end of their allocation.

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jayfire said:

. . . . . Toot :default_biggrin:

The toot isn't taking up space since I was last on board I hasten to add :default_norty: . . . . . 

Very pleased to hear it Jay and thanks.  Not before time tbh.  I didn’t want to dive in and start emptying bits and pieces, without establishing whether they were of sentimental value to other syndicate members.  

Well said PW!!!

Everyone goes on endlessly about life jackets and yet I was advised by a leading body of safety examiners for water based activities to seriously consider ditching the auto inflates we use, for  safety vests!

Now I know many will think I am making it up, but remember most life jackets are designed to work at sea and yet with the exception of Breydon on a very rough day, we have calm waters and access to a bank, mostly, within 20 metres. For what its worth, their advice is that a well fitting vest will provide sufficient buoyancy without the problems of the auto inflates. You should for example check an auto inflate EVERY time you use it to ensure the gas bottle is tight - it is really quite common for these to work loose and I have found them missing altogether. Some people also find the auto inflates difficult to adjust, and as you have to adjust them for every piece of clothing you add, or talk off this can be a nuisance - they also have to be fitted carefully and I guess, at least 50% of those I see fitted, are just not tight enough in the first instance. Some may find vests easier

This is not to say I do not advocate NOT wearing an auto inflate, but you should try and fit a vest before deciding finally - they may not turn you up the right way but unless you knock yourself out, that is not really an issue and they will never not fire for several reasons!!

• Thanks 1

I do wear a vest, not that I have had to rely on it, yet. I can swim whilst wearing it and I can put a coat or smock on on top of it. I can also throw it to someone in the water. It also serves as a cushion! The main thing is that I can store it afloat and I know that I can grab it and rely on it, even in the dark.

Hi Tempist I found that one year i went to boat show and bought a couple of life jackets fortunately i tried them on, several makes i found the straps aren't long enough, it ended up a matter of not what make was best deal but what what make fitted, you need to try on with cold weather gear being worn as not all makes have long enough straps, do try on before you buy otherwise when you go to wear it it might not fit comfortably and then you wont wear it and can't take it back. John

• Like 1