Coronavirus And The Broads

BroadsAuthority

3 minutes ago, EastCoastIPA said:

Lies, damned lies and statistics springs to mind here. 2018 a normal year for road traffic, rush hour traffic and no stay at home lock down.

How many of those deaths and injuries were caused due to the over crowding on the roads, that shouldn't exist currently due to so many people staying at home?

So I can't have a borrow of your lycra then ? :default_norty:

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, EastCoastIPA said:

How many of those deaths and injuries were caused due to the over crowding on the roads, that shouldn't exist currently due to so many people staying at home?

How many were caused by cyclists riding on the road instead of in cycle lanes, riding on pavements or cycling through red traffic lights? 

• Like 5

Cyclists are allowed to ride in the road and don't have to use cycle lanes. Riding on pavements is a real bug bear of mine and even worse is cycling across pedestrian crossing and expecting me to stop! Cycling thru red lights should be ok now there is less traffic on the road :default_rofl:

1 minute ago, EastCoastIPA said:

Cyclists are allowed to ride in the road and don't have to use cycle lanes. Riding on pavements is a real bug bear of mine and even worse is cycling across pedestrian crossing and expecting me to stop! Cycling thru red lights should be ok now there is less traffic on the road :default_rofl:

Then why are we spending literally millions on providing a facility that cyclists don't want - and refuse to us ?  Where lanes ar provided it should be unlawful for them to be on the road !

• Like 7

The increase in people using pushbikes is staggering. Where I live (in the middle of nowhere) the area is very popular with cyclists, and always has been, but now it's pretty non stop.

I would suggest that the increase in cyclists could indicate an increase in anglers when it's allowed. That should be fun! ! ! ! 

• Haha 1

Just now, MauriceMynah said:

The increase in people using pushbikes is staggering. Where I live (in the middle of nowhere) the area is very popular with cyclists, and always has been, but now it's pretty non stop.

I would suggest that the increase in cyclists could indicate an increase in anglers when it's allowed. That should be fun! ! ! ! 

That's a non sequitur if ever I saw one !

Just now, Poppy said:

Then why are we spending literally millions on providing a facility that cyclists don't want - and refuse to us ?  Where lanes ar provided it should be unlawful for them to be on the road !

I don't disagree with that, but was merely correcting the assumption that cyclists had to use them rather than the road. It drives my brother absolutely mad that there is a cycle lane down both sides of the Epping Forest New Road, yet very few cyclists use it, preferring to cycle outside the marking on the road. This currently is not illegal. However if you look at that particular stretch of road the cars effectively sweep the leaves and twigs to the side into the cycle lane. The local council hasn't repaired it for ages and there is pot holes everywhere and the general debris where it hasn't been road swept makes it a death trap.

Provide cycle lanes. Sweep and maintain them and then make it the law that they must be used where available.

7 minutes ago, EastCoastIPA said:

I don't disagree with that, but was merely correcting the assumption that cyclists had to use them rather than the road. It drives my brother absolutely mad that there is a cycle lane down both sides of the Epping Forest New Road, yet very few cyclists use it, preferring to cycle outside the marking on the road. This currently is not illegal. However if you look at that particular stretch of road the cars effectively sweep the leaves and twigs to the side into the cycle lane. The local council hasn't repaired it for ages and there is pot holes everywhere and the general debris where it hasn't been road swept makes it a death trap.

Provide cycle lanes. Sweep and maintain them and then make it the law that they must be used where available.

Chicken and the egg.. If it was used.....

10 minutes ago, EastCoastIPA said:

I don't disagree with that, but was merely correcting the assumption that cyclists had to use them rather than the road.

In my post I didn't say that cyclists had to use the cycle lanes.

2 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

It will be! Angling allowed whilst boating is not, uncluttered 24hr moorings, bonus! 

3 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

It will be! Angling allowed whilst boating is not, uncluttered 24hr moorings, bonus! 

Or if we are allowed boating by the 16th June, every mooring full of boats with no room for anglers. Who knows, I might even take my boat out of storage if that happens. :default_norty:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

ECIPA - now I am going to be a little contentious as I reckon you could see the Broads reopening in bits?

How about local people first so we don't put a strain on the emergency services? My 5 miles is less of a strain than someone driving 50 miles, and then next stage moving it out to say, 250 miles? Reduces the risk all round and at the same time begins to get things on the move again?

Now no shouting and no capital letters please but comments welcomed!!:default_2gunsfiring_v1::default_2gunsfiring_v1:

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, marshman said:

ECIPA - now I am going to be a little contentious as I reckon you could see the Broads reopening in bits?

How about local people first so we don't put a strain on the emergency services? My 5 miles is less of a strain than someone driving 50 miles, and then next stage moving it out to say, 250 miles? Reduces the risk all round and at the same time begins to get things on the move again?

Now no shouting and no capital letters please but comments welcomed!!:default_2gunsfiring_v1::default_2gunsfiring_v1:

Gets my vote! It's possible that's purely for selfish reasons!

Here we go with a potential loophole, are we talking as the crow flies or actual distance traveled?

I ask because about 20 miles of my journey to the Broads doesn't actually get me any closer, it just gets me around the river Stour...

51 minutes ago, marshman said:

ok let's be contentious, as long as you don't expect the visitors to come flocking back to support the pubs and local economy once you deem it safe! Might be easier for some to have the boat lifted out of the water and write this year off. With trips abroad off the cards for at least this year it is looking like the time is right to explore the many other lovely welcoming places around these fair isles. :6973434b8b31cd5effed88c7cbb2f1149d4af7_t:

Actually thinking about this a little more, how about restrict the use of the Broads to the visitors as they will bring money into the local economy and help the local businesses out. To avoid the moorings being too crowded and the rivers too busy, anyone with a local post code who could enjoy the rivers more frequently should be banned initially.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1