Coronavirus And The Broads

BroadsAuthority

47 minutes ago, grendel said:

I do phone regularly asking if they need anything, but they keep saying they dont (you know what some older folk are like, fiercely independent).

I will give them a ring and ask what their stocks are like, if they are getting low I will pop over and either get some shopping for them or take my dad shopping (as he insists I cant choose the right bag of porridge oats from a stack of 50 bags).

Not sure if this has been mentioned on here (and I'm not about to check!:default_icon_e_smile:) but as an added precaution we always wipe over everything with anti bacterial wipes. that includes all shopping, parcels and post.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, chameleon said:

peter, ask yourself 2 questions

1, without your help can the old couple get the help they need?

2, are you able to live with yourself if things go pear shaped through lack of help?

if the answer is no you need to get there asap

the answer to both of those is my sister lives just round the corner and is but a phone call away (plus I think she pops by and shouts at them through the porch) so I am happy they can get help if they need to.

i wouldnt be able to live with myself if things went wrong, but neither would I if I passed the virus to them trying to help.

i am keeping in touch with my sister regularly too, so she will inform me if I am needed, the wish to check on them is really just that a wish and not a necessity as such, I am here if any help is required.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, grendel said:

i wouldnt be able to live with myself if things went wrong, but neither would I if I passed the virus to them trying to help.

Hence if you (or anyone) helps they must keep a social distance.. Kinda the most important advise being given.. and why you can't get close to your parents.. we may not know if we have it and it will only stop through transmission.. Not sure why people still aren't understanding this.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, JawsOrca said:

Hence if you (or anyone) helps they must keep a social distance.. Kinda the most important advise being given.. and why you can't get close to your parents.. we may not know if we have it and it will only stop through transmission.. Not sure why people still aren't understanding this.

The virus doesn't move, people move it.

We stop moving the virus stops moving.

The virus dies!

Its that simple really.

• Like 6
  • Love 1

Peter, I'm sure that you'll be wary of direct contact. Why I say that is because I'm aware of two old folk locally who have recently died yet they have been in isolation. With the best will in the world the local authorities have organised carers. The probability is that untested carers have taken the virus into their client's home. It's so easy, tragic. Worryingly one lived about three hundred yards away from my front door. Better that you help rather than an untested stranger.

Dump the stuff in the porch or by the front door and back off. Arrange for your sister to help the old folk lift their goodies into the house, what could be safer. As for the travel, surely that is entirely reasonable by any standard. As has been said, do what you feel is right.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

Peter, I'm sure that you'll be wary of direct contact. Why I say that is because I'm aware of two old folk locally who have recently died yet they have been in isolation. With the best will in the world the local authorities have organised carers. The probability is that untested carers have taken the virus into their client's home. It's so easy, tragic. Worryingly one lived about three hundred yards away from my front door. Better that you help rather than an untested stranger.

Dump the stuff in the porch or by the front door and back off. Arrange for your sister to help the old folk lift their goodies into the house, what could be safer. As for the travel, surely that is entirely reasonable by any standard. As has been said, do what you feel is right.

Wise words.      Our first thoughts and responsibilities are to our own folk and keeping them safe and so it should be.  Sorry but that is the way I feel about it.    I see nothing wrong with you taking your parents what they require because of their advancing ages.  You will be distancing yourself from them.   You are doing exactly what we have been advised to do to protect ourselves.    You are not travelling that short distance to play golf or go to the beach as some have , and at the end of the day these 'rules' are not written in Law ,  they are merely advice.   Anyone knows different please put me straight.  

3 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

The probability is that untested carers have taken the virus into their client's home.

And this is probably what has happened in umpteen care homes up and down the country. It does seem to me now that we ‘shut the doors’ too late in the UK, in fact I think some windows have never been shut! This virus emanated from far away from us and I don’t think many people took it very seriously at first, we just couldn’t imagine it taking hold across the globe the way it has done. Now we do know how deadly it is and exactly what we have to do to stay safe.

• Like 2

Excuse me, but could I suggest a point of order?

This thread is called "Coronavirus and the Broads" and the O.P. is the Broads Authority.

Coronavirus and its impact on family life can be discussed on one or more alternative threads.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

As far as care homes are concerned the folk living there were and are trapped with no way of escape, no where to hide. They are wholly dependent on those caring for them. It was a time bomb waiting to go off. Locally to me care homes were well advised and even trained by the NHS but the weakest links are the carers themselves and the inevitable has happened. 

• Sad 1

15 hours ago, Vaughan said:

Excuse me, but could I suggest a point of order?

This thread is called "Coronavirus and the Broads" and the O.P. is the Broads Authority.

Coronavirus and its impact on family life can be discussed on one or more alternative threads.

ooops!!!  Are we all in the naughty corner AGAIN???   Sorry.    .:default_norty:     Social distancing of course.

As I've said before lets wait and see what is purposed to in affect returning to work and leasure. A GP this morning said those at high risk will have to stay at home now until the end of June.Thats news to me.In all honesty I would  return  to work tomorrow  go up to the boat and get back to Normal. We must take very seriously this disease, it will affect all of us for quite some time.probley until a vaccine is available. So we need to take small steps.Theres no quick fix.Lets not do what's happening in some parts of the USA,where they appear to disregard advice. 

38 minutes ago, Poppy said:

Surely to goodness 99.99999999 % of those travelling know full well that social distancing is impossible on a plane, as it is in Poppy's cabin! As for the BBC's pictures, it appears that all the folk travelling were adults, presumably equipped with a brain and having the privilege of being able to say 'no'.

5 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Surely to goodness 99.99999999 % of those travelling know full well that social distancing is impossible on a plane, as it is in Poppy's cabin! As for the BBC's pictures, it appears that all the folk travelling were adults, presumably equipped with a brain and having the privilege of being able to say 'no'.

The issue as far as I am concerned isn't that they know what they were doing, rather why is it allowed at all ?

• Like 2

If planes were to stop flying we would all find out just how much cargo goes into the holds of passenger planes which is why 10% of flights are still flying out of Heathrow. Once you put passengers on a plane it is impossible to socially distance them. If you stop people using the middle seat in a row the distance between the window and aisle seat is about 2.5 feet. Add in the recirculated air and distance makes little difference anyway.

The real issue is that the airline industry need to find a way of safely screening passengers before, or as they arrive at the airport. Once clear, then they could fly as normal.

It's an inconvenient truth that this small over populated island only produces about 50% of it's own food. A lot of the foodstuffs, especially short life fresh food that we have come to rely on all year around is flown in the holds of passenger planes. Remove the passengers and the price of that food will rocket. Let's not forget the essential medicines that are also flown in and all those cheap Chinese gadgets we all like so much.

I believe a member here has the signature...

" Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity "

How that flight was permitted and by whom, and what that "whom" was told, I have no idea. Suffice to say, whilst rules, laws and advice is given, there will always be those who will choose to ignore it/them. Perhaps if the individuals on that flight were fined for breaking the rules, there would be a backlash that would find the appropriate target.

7 minutes ago, EastCoastIPA said:

The real issue is that the airline industry need to find a way of safely screening passengers before, or as they arrive at the airport. Once clear, then they could fly as normal.

Seemingly, it can be done if there's a will:
https://www.emirates.com/media-centre/emirates-becomes-first-airline-to-conduct-on-site-rapid-covid-19-tests-for-passengers/

3 minutes ago, EastCoastIPA said:

If planes were to stop flying we would all find out just how much cargo goes into the holds of passenger planes which is why 10% of flights are still flying out of Heathrow. Once you put passengers on a plane it is impossible to socially distance them. If you stop people using the middle seat in a row the distance between the window and aisle seat is about 2.5 feet. Add in the recirculated air and distance makes little difference anyway.

It's an inconvenient truth that this small over populated island only produces about 50% of it's own food. A lot of the foodstuffs, especially short life fresh food that we have come to rely on all year around is flown in the holds of passenger planes. Remove the passengers and the price of that food will rocket. Let's not forget the essential medicines that are also flown in and all those cheap Chinese gadgets we all like so much.

The World needs to find a way of safely screening people !  It's reported that on average someone can be asymptomatic but infectious for up to seven days before symptoms are developed.

3 minutes ago, DAVIDH said:

But whilst the 'way' might be there , the undeliverable would appear to be the capacity . With an Emirates A380 seating typically 525 passengers, where will the testing be carried out at, say Heathrow ?   Already Heathrow bosses have said there is not enough room for 2m social distancing . Other airports are bound to have similar issues.

13 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

The space between the seats in a cattle-class low cost aircraft is not enough for a human being anyway!

But the problem is that people want to pay £9.99 for their flight and then moan about the plastic seats, having to pay for an expensive sandwich and coffee, being crammed in like cattle and having to pay £5 for the privilege of reserving their chosen seat so they can all be seated together.

Off course the other option is to pay more in the first place and fly with the likes of BA, although unfortunately in an effort to compete even BA are doing their best to make flying not as pleasant as it once was, especially on the more competitive short European flights.

• Like 1

As for flying in food from abroad, how much of that is 'luxury' or unseasonable food that is largely unnecessary, especially for the obese among us. Once this is all over we shall have to adopt to change, why should that change exclude food? Do we really need strawberries for twelve months of the year, for example?

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, DAVIDH said:

This is what is needed.

The business model of flying half empty planes will not work. Planes need to be full of people who have been tested and confirmed as non- contagious. So the passengers and crew fly in the knowledge it is safe to do so and the plane has a fighting chance of paying it's way.

• Like 1