Coronavirus And The Broads

BroadsAuthority

On 03/05/2020 at 07:00, grendel said:

you have obviously never been on lads week where drinking starts at morning coffee. to my knowledge i have never seen a carelessly discarded bottle or cap or can while on lads week, and having taken the rubbish bags to the disposal point, i can attest to the fact that all of those bottles caps and cans are disposed of properly.

How can your lads week compare to the thousand of boozy holiday makers on the broads? You cannot oversea people you don't know!

Another Broads sailor sadly lost. Not a friend although I did know him to talk to, we both belonged to the same sailing club.Β His mum-in-law lived opposite to us, good friend to my wife, she was so proud of her son-in-law & the family often stayed over whilst dad was away. It wasn't uncommon for Concord to fly overhead but probably with passengers aboard so it was generally a sedate fly pass so to speak, just to say hi to his family I suppose! There is mention of two flights over Oulton Broad in the articleΒ but there was a third that I don't think included the sailing club and that was when Concord did what I believe to have been theΒ final flight around Britain. I just happened to be in the garden when she came in low and slow, along our road so to speak before heading upwards over Mum in Law's house,Β Β massive power on, memorable!Β 

https://www.lowestoftjournal.co.uk/news/concorde-captain-from-norfolk-dies-from-coronavirus-1-6637861

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, EastCoastIPA said:

Actually thinking about this a little more, how about restrict the use of the Broads to the visitors as they will bring money into the local economy and help the local businesses out. To avoid the moorings being too crowded and the rivers too busy, anyone with a local post code who could enjoy the rivers more frequently should be banned initially.

Do you like hospital food?Β  Β  Β  Β There is an expression to reply toΒ your last paragraph and it starts with B.gger off , we live locally and have had our holidays cancelled as well as the rest of the country ,Β  so no I dont agree with you.Β  Β :default_gbxhmm:Β Β :default_norty::default_hiding:Β  Β Β :default_coat:

Β 

Β 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

There may well be more clarity on Sunday. When the PM let's us know how the country will start to come out of this.

Like many I'm concerned about work,Β  holidays and day to day life.It seems clear life will returnΒ  to normal very slowly. The lights were turned off quickly. Turning them back on will take alot longer.Β 

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

There may well be more clarity on Sunday. When the PM let's us know how the country will start to come out of this.

Like many I'm concerned about work,Β  holidays and day to day life.It seems clear life will returnΒ  to normal very slowly. The lights were turned off quickly. Turning them back on will take alot longer.Β 

I agree and the slower the better.Β  Β Encouraging all this nonsense about friends gathering is very low down the list of priorities in my opinion.Β  Β  Β  Safety for all at work is paramount otherwise we will all be back in lock down again.

Β 

Β 

• Like 5

I would welcome a relaxation of the restrictions, if only to drive the 15 miles to visit my parents who are both in their eighties now, and make sure they have everything then need. I am fortunate that my sister lives in the same road as them, but she doesnt have a car, so isnt able to do a heavy shop. the last time we managed to do a heavy shop (all the things too heavy to carry without a car) was the weekend before lockdown, so they are probably down to reserves now (they had a reasonable stock of most things as they stock up for winter in case they cant get out for a month or two.)

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, grendel said:

I would welcome a relaxation of the restrictions, if only to drive the 15 miles to visit my parents who are both in their eighties now, and make sure they have everything then need. I am fortunate that my sister lives in the same road as them, but she doesnt have a car, so isnt able to do a heavy shop. the last time we managed to do a heavy shop (all the things too heavy to carry without a car) was the weekend before lockdown, so they are probably down to reserves now (they had a reasonable stock of most things as they stock up for winter in case they cant get out for a month or two.)

Grendel - pm sent.

29 minutes ago, chameleon said:

surely that comes under essential travel now

it could be argued that it is, but with my sister just around the corner - ??

Though she is already doing some shopping for them and several other elderly neighbours, so cant always carry the heavier bits.

36 minutes ago, grendel said:

As Chameleon says, that's essential travel. We do that for my parents in law, not 15 miles but they can't get out and since the nearest sister caught the virus it's down to us. We use the front porch like a submarine air lock.Β 

1 hour ago, Hylander said:

Do you like hospital food?Β  Β  Β  Β There is an expression to reply toΒ your last paragraph and it starts with B.gger off , we live locally and have had our holidays cancelled as well as the rest of the country ,Β  so no I dont agree with you.Β  Β :default_gbxhmm:Β Β :default_norty::default_hiding:Β  Β Β :default_coat:

Β 

Β 

As it happens I don't agree with it either so let me explain why I posted it.

On a couple of posts I have emphasised a point I felt strongly about by using capital letters. Ever since marshman has been like a :55c8f94984577_default_AnimatedGifDogs(127):with a bone. Yesterday he aimed a post at me and stated he was going to be "a little contentious" so I just played along with the silly ole fool. :default_2gunsfiring_v1::default_2gunsfiring_v1:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, grendel said:

it could be argued that it is, but with my sister just around the corner - ??

Though she is already doing some shopping for them and several other elderly neighbours, so cant always carry the heavier bits.

Grendel without any doubt you can go and do this, shopping is essential and moreso if it's for vulnerable people. Obviously leave the shopping on the doorstep though and keep your distance from them to continue shielding them.Β  If you are stopped by the police just be honest..the police don't know (and it wouldn't matter as you have transport) about your sister.Β 

I do phone regularly asking if they need anything, but they keep saying they dont (you know what some older folk are like, fiercely independent).

I will give them a ring and ask what their stocks are like, if they are getting low I will pop over and either get some shopping for them or take my dad shopping (as he insists I cant choose the right bag of porridge oats from a stack of 50 bags).

• Like 1

To be perfectly honest, I think as long as social distancing is respected and all possible precautions taken, nobody should be taken to task for behaving in a caring way. Particularly where elderly parents are concerned. 15 miles is not a great distance, some people travel that sort of mileage to do their shopping anyway!

• Like 1

peter, ask yourself 2 questions

1, without your help can the old couple get the help they need?

2, are you able to live with yourself if things go pear shaped through lack of help?

if the answer is no you need to get there asap

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, chameleon said:

peter, ask yourself 2 questions

1, without your help can the old couple get the help they need?

2, are you able to live with yourself if things go pear shaped through lack of help?

if the answer is no you need to get there asap

Alternatively ask yourself what Robert Jenrick would do in your situation. I believe his parents are 40 miles from his house.

Personally I believe you should do what feels right for you and your parents.

• Like 4