Coronavirus And The Broads

BroadsAuthority

I normally avoid these nightly TV briefings but I have just sat through tonight's, for what it was worth.
I think the obvious answer is that I should contact the Broads Authority and re-register my motor cruiser as a "support bubble".

Travel from France and quarantine for 14 days on board.......

Sent from my iPhone using Norfolk Broads Network

21 minutes ago, Bexs said:

Ahh so the second household can be of any size, got it!

having listened to the speech i was under the impression both households had to be a single adult

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, grendel said:

having listened to the speech i was under the impression both households had to be a single adult

Which only supports my view that the U.K. gov needs to be much clearer in how they present these measures to the public .

The new ruling states that two households can in effect merge into one “support bubble” but only if at least ONE of the households is comprised of a single adult or a single parent with young children , there has been no maximum number given to the 2nd household size

I did too!

But CambridgeCabby and the BBC website, and made it clearer.

but i am sure if you listen to the questions after it was clarified that if your partner lived alone in another house and you were alone too  you could get together, in fact i thought one of the advisors reminded boris that you both had to be single adult households.

It  states that at least ONE of the households has to be either a single adult living alone or a single parent with children and the other household can be a complete family unit provided they all live together contact must be limited between these two units only as the single individual or single parent with children will effectively become an addition to the other household and they must not add any others to their support bubble.

it has been worded as a typical political paper and not explained for “normal” people to understand easily 

It is really quite simple - either two singles living alone can form one bubble or one single living alone can form a bubble with one other family of as many as you like. Isn't that what it says? 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51506729

And ECIPA remember there are 69m people in the UK and not all went on the marches. Any one seen an estimate of the total marching?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Matt said:

Travel from France and quarantine for 14 days on board.......

At the moment that would be our only option but I rather doubt we would get away with it!

Especially as the Portsmouth ferries are only carrying freight.

14 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

At the moment that would be our only option but I rather doubt we would get away with it!

Especially as the Portsmouth ferries are only carrying freight.

From where you are over to the Rhone, chose your route to Calais, Dover or Ramsgate, then coast hop up the East Anglian rivers and havens having crossed the Estuary.

By the time you reach Great Yarmouth or Lowestoft you will be struck down with severe "Cabin Fever" and will probably be OK to form whatever bubbles are then available as you will want a break from boats.

breil-guides-map-750x662.jpg.6139042ffd7e6ef22a145ca84b85ebe5.jpg

• Like 1

I have several friends who have done that and always wanted to myself.  It takes a minimum two weeks to get to Calais or preferably, Ostend.  If you have a serious sea boat you can also get out on the Somme, via Amiens.

Would that count as isolation, I wonder?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

I have several friends who have done that and always wanted to myself.  It takes a minimum two weeks to get to Calais or preferably, Ostend.  If you have a serious sea boat you can also get out on the Somme, via Amiens.

Would that count as isolation, I wonder?

Judith and I had that dream, but North to South. I have just been for a root in my office, and Yes! I still have the book that became our planning bible in the ealy 70's but children and work got in the way.

I remember getting the book from Capt. O.M. Watts shop in Albemarle Sreet and it being a lot of money for us then. It contains many photographs of the french and Spanish Med Coast taken in the 60's. To look at them then, pine down to empty beaches, and see what progress has done to them now could make you weep.

20200611_060442.thumb.jpg.d7c33a80ca11f6198052104169408437.jpg

• Like 1

We were however to have two sailing holidays in the South of France, firstly in a Fairey Atalanta and later in an Essex Smack around isles d'hyeres. But went down by car.

I think I have already mentioned that I was to find out later that the smack was built by Martham.

Both boats were loaned to us by an old school friend who was my "best man"  all his family were in the film industry and he was to die young like his famous father. Due to their habitual heavy smoking.

• Like 1

Excuse us for the thread drift :default_coat: but I feel very lucky, looking at that map. In my job, I think I have cruised around two thirds of the rivers and canals shown, as well as in Belgium and Holland.

I assume the map comes from the Guides Vagnon?

• Love 1

Oh yes!  Must be a different edition- I didn't recognise it.  The owner of Editions du Breil (the village near Castelnaudary where he lives) is John Riddel, who was the managing director and one of the founders of Blue Line.  My old boss and a very good friend.

He is also still known in local folklore, as the man who saved the Canal du Midi from closure.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

olivier.thumb.jpeg.07b7c560097c4ae1f39d21e74da2dcd9.jpeg

Sorry again for the drift but worth mentioning Olivier Chauvin.

He worked for John Riddel before he became manager of the Crown base at Jarnac on the Charente.  He is the one who assembled all the cruising information and detail for the du Breil maps, by travelling all over France on a moped.

He, like John and myself, was later forced out by company age-ism after the yuppies took over, but he still writes regular articles for "Fluvial" magazine.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I am pondering, day boat hire could well be classified as an Outdoor Attraction, so now allowed to open?

I imagine there is some frantic scrabbling going on behind the scenes. With many businesses now trying to figure out if they can fit under that banner...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bexs said:

I am pondering, day boat hire could well be classified as an Outdoor Attraction, so now allowed to open?

I imagine there is some frantic scrabbling going on behind the scenes. With many businesses now trying to figure out if they can fit under that banner...

Only if they take the canvas hood  off, and take a chainsaw to the solid roofing bits..