No More Gardening Or Diy!

Paul

According to this mornings newspaper Doctor's are now telling us not to undertake any gardening or DIY during lock down in case we injure ourselves and need help from the NHS. I'm just wondering if I dare take the risk of climbing the stairs to take a leak or should I just take aim at the window?

There are two things that come to mind here,

Given the reliability of our press is this for real? 

Surely "doctors" should not be giving instructions for lock down, let government do that and provide one voice, especially as government have already stated that gardening and allotments are an ideal form of lock down exercise

• Like 5

If this is what it comes to, the mental health of the nation will be at an all time low very quickly. To take it one step further, no using sharp knives in the kitchen or using saucepans of boiling water. And certainly no chip pans! I hope the vast majority of us can be trusted to use common sense and perhaps take just a little more care than usual. 

• Like 3

Perhaps they are just trying to make everyone think about what they are doing. 

Personally I'm concerned about the amount of online shopping ads that constantly come up on my FB newsfeed and in my emails. In my book we should only be ordering essentials online as every item has to be picked, packed and delivered. Shouldn't online operations for non-essentials have been shut down? It's not work you can do from home and therefore aren't you needlessly putting lives at risk?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FairTmiddlin said:

As this from NHS states in 2019 there were 4800 cases at A & E just from DIYer's using drills, possibly a good call

https://www.england.nhs.uk/2019/04/nhs-on-hand-this-bank-holiday-as-diy-injuries-increase/

Beat me to it. Sundays used to be a busy day in A&E due to diyers and sport injuries.

2 hours ago, ChrisB said:

I am not using my chain saw.

I do actually mean it. You have an accident with a chain or band saw and it is usually serious. I have alot of chain saw work to do this spring but I will just have to improve my upper body strength.

11 minutes ago, ranworthbreeze said:

Tan would not allow me to use a chainsaw! After I have seen the outcome of protective work-cloths that should be worn when using a chainsaw I can understand the need for them and recommend anyone intending to use one to get all the gear.

Regards

Alan

It's the one notable absentee from my shed too, I've used one once and I'm not embarrassed to say it scared the hoolies out of me. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ranworthbreeze said:

Tan would not allow me to use a chainsaw! After I have seen the outcome of protective work-cloths that should be worn when using a chainsaw I can understand the need for them and recommend anyone intending to use one to get all the gear.

Regards

Alan

I have all the gear inc the trousers that shred and stall it, helmet visor etc. But at the end of the day they are a very dangerous unforgiving  bit of kit and protective clothing helps but does not make a chain saw safe.

In my days at school we were taught carpentry and basics of practical household maintenance. Boys only school so I I'm not sure what the girls were taught, necessary skills like washing up, cooking and ironing I suspect! A Mr Field was my carpentry teacher, so much of what he taught me, accurate hand cut joints for example, have stayed with me to this day. He must have taught me well, I still have all six fingers!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

Sundays used to be a busy day in A&E due to diyers and sport injuries.

Here its said the waiting rooms at othopedic Drs. are full on a Monday morning with people who fell off their horse over the weekend.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JennyMorgan said:

In my days at school we were taught carpentry

I actually got "O" level woodwork!
Came in handy many years later building a set of very stable shelves in the cellar of the house we were moving into.
Some of the skill helped in the years of aeromodelling.

and basics of practical household maintenance

Totally missing at school.

Boys only school

Same here - its now a co-educational Grammar School

2 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

In my days at school we were taught carpentry and basics of practical household maintenance. Boys only school so I I'm not sure what the girls were taught, necessary skills like washing up, cooking and ironing I suspect! A Mr Field was my carpentry teacher, so much of what he taught me, accurate hand cut joints for example, have stayed with me to this day. He must have taught me well, I still have all six fingers!

Mmm.... I think they learned how to remember things that may have happened years and years ago that you had no memory of 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Guest Jayfire
7 hours ago, MotorBoater said:

Another excuse for me to sit at the window looking at the garden instead of getting on with it. 

Well you just remember that if you see this wheely bin floating, you have been in the house looking out of the window way too long, as it is just a wet spot on the pavement :default_smiley-angelic002:

FB_IMG_1586029344706.thumb.jpg.5be005254bf8dc8c3edc25ad01e33842.jpg