Another Scam

Telephone this time. Two calls concerning the Government funded insulation installed (which is news to me of course!). Problems have occurred and the loft needs to be surveyed. This is clearly an attempt to gain access to the property, maybe to identify work that needs doing urgently (yeah right!) or worse, for criminal purposes. Once challenged, the phone call is terminated pronto. It would be all too easy for an elderly person living alone to be caught out here, particularly if they had by chance had government funded insulation installed. These people are just b******s. 
Please excuse my french!

• Like 4

Have answer phone on three rings.As soon as they hear the lady they ring of .If genuine  I pickup phone or call them back people who know me wait for me to pickup phone works for me.

• Like 1

Got another call yesterday purporting to be from Amazon joining me to their prime scheme I put  the phone down after about 3 seconds of listening to the recording,  Checked my account and it's  still saying I am not enrolled in  the Prime Scheme. The odd thing is that each time I  have received one of these calls  I have had a parcel delivered from Amazon that same day. Not a coincidence I think.

Carole

17 minutes ago, addicted said:

Got another call yesterday purporting to be from Amazon joining me to their prime scheme I put  the phone down after about 3 seconds of listening to the recording,  Checked my account and it's  still saying I am not enrolled in  the Prime Scheme. The odd thing is that each time I  have received one of these calls  I have had a parcel delivered from Amazon that same day. Not a coincidence I think.

Carole

I get these callswith monotonous regularity, I don't have an Amazon a/c of any sort and go out of my way to avoid ever using them.

We have a phone with a call blocking facility, I always block these but they still get through. Each time it's a different number!

I's additionally frustrating that it's a recording, it denys the opportunity to tell them to ***k off !

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Poppy said:

I get these callswith monotonous regularity, I don't have an Amazon a/c of any sort and go out of my way to avoid ever using them.

We have a phone with a call blocking facility, I always block these but they still get through. Each time it's a different number!

I's additionally frustrating that it's a recording, it denys the opportunity to tell them to ***k off !

Me too, about twice a day at the moment. They have a the ability to "hijack" a local or mobile number and keep changing them. The recorded lady tells me she is going to renew Amazon Prime for £79 something and if I don't want to, to press "1". Of course I don't but I do always wait until the end of the recording to see if anyone takes up the call, then I can tell that person to ***k off! They don't take up the call unfortunately.

My kids bought me an oversized desk bell for a laugh some time ago and my wife often gives these rogue callers an earfull of that. They usually hang up afterwards which is very rude in my opinion.:default_dry:

• Haha 2

I suspect that with people at home due to lockdown, the scammers will have had not just a field day, but a golden year. I have had so many via e-mail and phone that it is hard to remember them all. The usual suspects (Talk-Talk, Microsoft, "your ISP" etc) but also a number of e-mail scammers alleging payment problems with Amazon and PayPal. Fortunately I have a background in cyber-security and they are very easy to spot. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, colino said:

my one you credit card has been used for 600£

Yep, had that one as well.

Just put the phone down from a chancer who wanted me to renew my washing machine cover, which was about to expire.  

Only problem is, we don't have washing machine cover......

1 hour ago, Poppy said:

Yep, had that one as well.

Just put the phone down from a chancer who wanted me to renew my washing machine cover, which was about to expire.  

Only problem is, we don't have washing machine cover......

An elderly friend now deceased I found to have 4 companies covering her items over & over. One I rang & they demanded £100 to cancel as per contract & kept ringing her with threats of prosecution  Following other problems the Fraud team at her bank became involved & they could find no legitimate details of the company! We stopped all of the Direct Debits & the only one to make contact was the legitimate one who simply thanked her for using them & hoped she would use them again should the need arise. A TV repair contractor made one visit then abandoned her with a broken set which she had to replace but carried on charging her.

• 2 weeks later...

the latest attempted scam  today

We have received your order 5490 , you order will be shipped today before 5 PM .

Order Amount : 1996.58 $ Paid (Automatic payment by bank)

Please find attached Invoice , and check your shipping address if it is correct , before we ship your items.

HQ Store.

it came with an excel attachment I wont be opening, the originating email was 'support' (which translated as it@htmlpro.net), 

Dont forget that a virus can be embedded into a spreadsheet or other document  quite easily, and set to run if you open the document.

I was just going to start typing in my thread about the Denham Owl when the phone rang. It was a pre-recorded message claimed to be from BT. There has been some dodgy traffic on my broadband and they want investigate so I have to press 1 or they'll cut me off.

The only dodgy traffic has been on this forum....:default_norty:

I didn't press 1 by the way.

24 minutes ago, Hylander said:

We had some chaps knock the door this afternoon reckoned they were something from the Government doing a health check.   Anyone else know anything about this.    We just listened and they left.

Hylander - do you have a dog? There has been cold-calling round Suffolk and Norfolk using various excuses and if a dog is seen a discrete chalk mark is left nearby,they later come back with a van and lift the dog or dogs. There have been warnings on Suffolk police pages for a week or so. A mate in a village just out of town had a visit a week ago,c/w chalk mark!