Face Coverings.

1 hour ago, Timbo said:

I was very recently advised to wash my new face covering regularly. This is causing me a few problems. I'm putting it on a hot wash and a 1600 spin in my Miele washing machine and I'm using Persil Biological Liquid as the detergent. I've noticed that I am finding it difficult to breath in my mask, I'm getting a red rash all over my head and a severe pain in my neck and lower extremities I wondered if it could be the wash cycle I'was using, so I chose the quick cycle, but at forty five minutes duration, breathing was still really difficult.  Now, I am a light and restless sleeper so I do roll over quite a lot in bed but even still, I can't seem to keep up with such an aggressive spin cycle, would it matter if I reduced the RPM to nine or even four hundred? After some research online I did find reference to people getting a skin rash when using various different brands of detergent, although I have a sneaking suspicion that the redness on my skin is more a result of the temperature of the water. Any help and advice much appreciated.

Hi Tim,

Try a cool wash, it may sort out all your problems, failing that maybe a snorkel might help.

Regards

Alan

47 minutes ago, Wussername said:

But are they as efficient as a mask. Should you wear both?

As I understand it they are just as good, also bear in mind they are not to protect the wearer but others around you. Having said that I can't help but think that a visor must be at least a little protective of the wearer too!

• Like 1

I do understand. However is it not beyond the wit of man to make a mask that not only protect others from your exhaled virus, germs, whatever, as well as that which is exhaled by others to your disadvantage.

At a realistic and affordable price.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Wussername said:

At a realistic and affordable price

I think that is the problem plus that these frontline protections are still in high demand literally on the frontline around the world.

Hopefully if or when this sort of thing happens again then economy of scale will make them available and affordable for all.

It just struck me that every man, woman and child had a gas mask in the 1940s, quite an achievement considering all the other obvious demands on production/distribution!

• Like 2

I think we will. 
As for face coverings, there is some evidence that they also protect the wearer. Check Dr Jon Campbell’s blogs on YouTube for clear, carefully researched info.

I think I am up to about 120 masks now for family and friends. 
I use the Olsen mask pattern which is comfortable and close fitting. I think they will be a feature of life for a long time to come.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Wussername said:

Then Ray, perhaps this is a matter, an issue, which should be addressed not only for the now but for the future varients of this virus which inevitably will befall us and hopefully we will be better prepared.

I believe so and hope it will be. There will be huge budgetary pressures ahead but I hope that for once lessons will not only be learnt but applied!

1 minute ago, Polly said:

I think we will. 
As for face coverings, there is some evidence that they also protect the wearer. Check Dr Jon Campbell’s blogs on YouTube for clear, carefully researched info.

I think I am up to about 120 masks now for family and friends. 
I use the Olsen mask pattern which is comfortable and close fitting. 

That's a really impressive number! 120 masks, statistically I imagine you have saved lives! 👍

Not being able to find masks that fit properly, I decided to see if I could get a printable file for one, and yes, the instructions said I might need to scale it up or down by 5% - 10% to get a good fit, I printed it scaled up 25% and while it is tight in 2 areas, otherwise it fits, no wonder none of the commercial available masks fit. I have been experimenting with filter material, I dissected a filter from an industrial ppe mask, and this contains 5 different layers, two are just the covering, but of the 3 filter layers, I can manage to breathe using the thinnest of these filter layers.

Where there is a will there is a way. Now all I need is some knicker elastic for the straps.

IMG_20200805_055736.jpg

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, grendel said:

Not being able to find masks that fit properly, I decided to see if I could get a printable file for one, and yes, the instructions said I might need to scale it up or down by 5% - 10% to get a good fit, I printed it scaled up 25% and while it is tight in 2 areas, otherwise it fits, no wonder none of the commercial available masks fit. I have been experimenting with filter material, I dissected a filter from an industrial ppe mask, and this contains 5 different layers, two are just the covering, but of the 3 filter layers, I can manage to breathe using the thinnest of these filter layers.

Where there is a will there is a way. Now all I need is some knicker elastic for the straps.

IMG_20200805_055736.jpg

grendel - dont mention knicker elastic to some of the old boys at this time of the morning.  They will be all of a twitter.:default_icon_rolleyes:

Yesterday I ventured out.    Firstly went to the Post Office and while in the queue everyone was wearing masks except for one young lady , I would have said 18 ish.      Went onto Morrisons,  first time since March,   felt terrified quite frankly.    All was better than expected , managed to actually get some Homepride Self Raising Flour and chocolate chunks.    Now I can make my chocolate cakes.   The only downside to it all was we had to queue for the tills along a very narrow isle , we never moved for a good 3 minutes, and then the queue started to shift.     I was assured by others in the queue that it is not normally like that, which if so , is good.  Came home exhausted from just the stress of it all and worrying , have I caught it.        Saying that I will go again and as advised by the 'font of all wisdom' who I happened to be behind in the queue ,  go about 10.30,  it is never like this.    So as I always do as I am told,  10.30 it is next time.

If you go on line and search "quiet time Morrison's " plus your branch location,  it may well come up with a chart showing when it's busy,  I've used that for BQ and Tescos,  and just checked it worked for Morrison's GY. 

We went into GY early Monday, the wearing of masks in most stores was surprisingly good,  only one customer not wearing a mask, however towards the end of the visit, all the grokles started appearing and it was getting crowded on the streets, so we then started wearing the masks outside as well.

The place to avoid were the market food / coffee stands,  neither staff nor customers wearing masks,  many customers leaning on counters and definitely not distancing.. 

Officials want you to wear masks to not infect others,  however if you are breathing in,  through a mask,  any airborne particle must stand a chance of being captured by the cloth,  especially since the virus is carried by the damp breath of the exhaler. 

We use the so called disposable masks,  however they are disposable because that's what the NHS do as its cheaper than washing them.  We have several each they are stored on the car dashboard between uses.  By the time they are needed again for the next weeks shopping the will be clear of any virus.  After a couple of uses they get thrown in with the wash.  They won't last many washes  but it extends their life. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

When working nightingale we where told face shields protect the eyes and we had to wear masks as well. 
we now ware a kind of snood or tube of material that’s close fitting and as a bonus can be turned to keep it fresh. 
and no to drying out masks on dashboard. You will encourage mould you can’t see to grow causing more problems.