Face Coverings.

3 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

Wikipedia in not one of those sources.

Nor is it mine.

The reference I quoted (which I happened to see quoted on Wikipedia) was from the WHO.

Or are you saying we should not believe them either? If so, you are simply proving my point.

Do you trust, without question quotes in Wikipedia to be accurate quotes?

I would trust the WHO, but not necessarily reported quotes from Wikipedia. Who wrote those quotes you found there?

Wikipedia is made from comments and quotes from the general public. So, it is quite possible that the quote you read was attributed to the WHO by somebody who had read it in the Daily Mail, in an article written by the same person who had written it in Wikipedia.

3 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

I would trust the WHO

Whilst I would trust the WHO not to knowingly circulate false information the frequency with which their advice has changed during this pandemic demonstrates that they know very little more than the rest of us. 

They gather data which is in itself subject to the vagaries of the national organisations compiling it, and they use that to make informed assumptions. Many of those assumptions have been shown to be partly or wholly inaccurate. 

I'm not having a go at them, they make the best calls they can in a very difficult situation, but what they say today is different to what they said last week, and next week it will no doubt be different again. Such is the nature of a pandemic. 

It quite ironic that nurses on the front line could not get a test unless they had symptoms a few weeks past and it seems now that the anti-body test is the way the NHS is moving forwards within 

I have two nieces ,the first niece was working Red ward - her anti body test was negative

the second niece ,high dependency nurse - her anti body test was positive - she had had covid and did not even know as a result her family have had both tests - all negative 

how do you work that one out ??

finny

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

Permit me to rephrase then, I trust the WHO more than I trust the Daily mail, the EDP and the Beano. (though the Beano isn't so far off the mark)

I enjoyed their recent articles on the Abyssinian Wire Haired Tripe Hound. I'd even go so far as to say 'Blamtastic!' 

• Haha 2

As the issue around the wearing of face masks continues, I found this youtube effort. The message is pretty clear and is a good way of re-enforcing the message. Howevere, The language is somewhat fruity so the Mods may well wish to move it to the members section. I would mprefer it to be seen by as many as possible because of the importance of the message.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZQkBHysrig&feature=youtu.be

• Like 1

the only issue i have with that video is that it tells people that if they cant wear a mask, then they should wear a mask, it neatly sidesteps the issue of those with exemptions, and then proceeds to reinforce the message that anyone not wearing a face covering is a selfish idiot. 

This is the part of the message that i take issue over, there are people out there (as we know more than just a few on this forum alone) that for medical reasons find they cannot wear a mask.

these are the people the government has failed. by making no clear cut policy over what those who cannot wear masks must do, by allowing social media to take over and vilify any individual not wearing a mask, those who cannot wear them and are exempt are being mistreated by others. this video typifies that reaction.

now i am not saying that the message to wear a mask is wrong, it clearly isnt, but dont make those who are exempt scapegoats, rather than those who are not wearing them purely because they dont feel they have to.

I think the problem isn't the government message, it is quite clear that there are exceptions, the problems lay with 'vigilantes' who think they know better and probably have a very limited understanding of the word ' exceptions'.

Or as i tend to think of them,

Facebook dwelling knuckle draggers.

It is only the police who can enforce this requirement and to some extent, retailers, if they wish to.

• Like 1

I recognise that very clearly Peter and agree very much, being one of the very folk who need a vaiation. My face shield arrived this morning and are a heck of a lot easier to deal with. I just think the main problem is actually making sure folk who are obviously well must wear a mask. A lot of those mwho don"t are the brash arrogant, I"m allright jack types. This is aimed at those!

• Like 5

On 24/07/2020 at 11:05, Hylander said:

If this is of any help to you.   I have order two full face shields.   I ordered them from Primatel.co.uk with the code MAIL7PPE30.

We went to Homebase in Lowestoft this morning (resisted the temptation to knock on Hoseasons front door) and it was fine.    Everyone wearing face masks that I saw , everyone avoiding like the plague everyone else.     No one stood on the door being self righteous.  

Face Shield.jpg

I speak as I find.   My order arrived yesterday very promptly,  good quality items.    Would order again with them.

• Like 1

I was very recently advised to wash my new face covering regularly. This is causing me a few problems. I'm putting it on a hot wash and a 1600 spin in my Miele washing machine and I'm using Persil Biological Liquid as the detergent. I've noticed that I am finding it difficult to breath in my mask, I'm getting a red rash all over my head and a severe pain in my neck and lower extremities I wondered if it could be the wash cycle I'was using, so I chose the quick cycle, but at forty five minutes duration, breathing was still really difficult.  Now, I am a light and restless sleeper so I do roll over quite a lot in bed but even still, I can't seem to keep up with such an aggressive spin cycle, would it matter if I reduced the RPM to nine or even four hundred? After some research online I did find reference to people getting a skin rash when using various different brands of detergent, although I have a sneaking suspicion that the redness on my skin is more a result of the temperature of the water. Any help and advice much appreciated.

• Haha 5

7 minutes ago, Timbo said:

I was very recently advised to wash my new face covering regularly. This is causing me a few problems. I'm putting it on a hot wash and a 1600 spin in my Miele washing machine and I'm using Persil Biological Liquid as the detergent. I've noticed that I am finding it difficult to breath in my mask, I'm getting a red rash all over my head and a severe pain in my neck and lower extremities I wondered if it could be the wash cycle I'was using, so I chose the quick cycle, but at forty five minutes duration, breathing was still really difficult.  Now, I am a light and restless sleeper so I do roll over quite a lot in bed but even still, I can't seem to keep up with such an aggressive spin cycle, would it matter if I reduced the RPM to nine or even four hundred? After some research online I did find reference to people getting a skin rash when using various different brands of detergent, although I have a sneaking suspicion that the redness on my skin is more a result of the temperature of the water. Any help and advice much appreciated.

I would suggest taking if off before you wash it! :default_rofl::default_beerchug:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Timbo said:

What do the Beagle brothers say?

Perhaps it is hand wash only and you hanging upside down outside to air dry might help.  If all fails consult with the manufacture. I take it that it had the CE kite mark.

The attempts at humour on here sometimes leave me wondering what is genuine and what is not.

For the record, I discovered I'm allergic to bio washing powders and liquids when they first came out. I suggest you try non-bio, which usually means Persil non-bio. Not always easy to find but usually on the shop shelves somewhere.

• Like 1

Ok now that is too much! Mods please take note that I have been misrepresented on the Forum.

Was Timbo told to use a hot wash? He was not. Tepid water would have been fine. Persil Bio? No!! Non biological from Waitrose was the advice, it may be available from less discerning outlets, I believe. 
No doubt any rash is more likely to have been occasioned by the scuba gear he was wearing, or possibly through , shall we say, poor lifestyle choices.

Humph outraged of Tunbridge Wells.

• Haha 4