Grendels Deferred May Broads Holiday

grendel

2 hours ago, Polly said:

You lot have got no poetry in your souls!😋

What has a hazlenut in every bite,
Smooth milk chocolate for your delight,
Nougat and caramel golden light,
And don't forget the hazelnut in every bite?

2 hours ago, Polly said:

You lot have got no poetry in your souls!😋

I used to have poetry alive in my soul,

but it upped and went, just leaving a hole.

So rather like Grendel, I looked to the stars

but my view had been b******d by street lights and cars

So Polly, I tell you, though this isn't news

You never need poems if you've got plenty of booze.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Love 1

i obvigsously havent been posting enough, i have just moored up for the night at womack dyke moorings, i had just passed a boat that waved at me and asked me how i was, and i spotted a jayne sized hole. 

prior to that i had had a busy day, at 8am i started the engine and thought, where will i go today, so i headed back towards Marthams, not too far, as i hung a left at meadow dyke and headed for horsey mere. on arrival i moored up at the mill moorings for an hour for a coffee and a bite to eat. an hour later i turned jayne at the corner and headed back out, beware, if you skirt the edge of horsey mere, you will get weed around the prop, i went right round, looked at waxham cut and decided against it, as i needed to clear the weeds off the prop again.

back down meadow dyke, where i met everyone and their neighbours coming the other way, one trip boat 2 sailies one of those was goosewinged and filling the entire dyke, i nudged into the reeds and he took his boom in just enough, day boats, cruisers, paddle boards and kayaks.

at the end i took another left, down candle dyke and left again to west somerton, i had checked the situation re the weeds down here and they said it was fine an, well so it was because the weed cutter was operating down there, weeds were floating away downstream, i also passed an old chap who waved and yelled, its a bit full down there, when i arrived it dawned on  me that he meant with weeds (i did wonder why he was rowing when he had a perfectly good outboard) anyway, the quay was empty. another bite to eat, toilet break and coffee (not necessarily in that order) and it was time to leave, i had determined that 1pm was when i needed to depart an hour and a half later, i reached potter heigham bridge, popped into lathams for some cooking oil to cook my tea tonight, then called the boatyard. one of their staff was soon at hand to take me through, and he hopped off at the first convenient boat the other side, on i went, through potter heigham, there was a space at the quiet moorings, but i thought no, so i headed for womak thinking to look for robins wild mooring, this was not to be as i was spotted by friends, and found a gap at womak dyke moorings.

• Like 10

We encountered the fishermen with mega rods between Martham Ferry and West Somerton some years ago.  You can't see the fisherman as he is hidden in the reed bed and then all of sudden you see this gigantic pole ...................

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ooh, a busy Meadow Dyke, that was unlucky, we usually find it fairly peaceful. Good call not going down Waxham Cut, we tried that a few years back on a rowing dinghy and soon gave up. What happened to the wild mooring on Womack Dyke? I could swear to it, but I got the impression a couple of weeks back that the same boat was on it most of the week. 

Guest Jayfire

I rowed down Waxham Cut last year to the moorings Helen, never give up :1350_muscle_tone1:

:default_biggrin:

Lovely stretch of stream it is too and lovely to just lay back and enjoy the sunshine after all your work relaxing at the bridge

20200713_165946.thumb.jpg.9b6e9df3aa40182dde139a9086b426f3.jpg

2 hours ago, w-album said:

We encountered the fishermen with mega rods between Martham Ferry and West Somerton some years ago.  You can't see the fisherman as he is hidden in the reed bed and then all of sudden you see this gigantic pole ...................

Many (like 50) years ago my brother & I sailed a Martham half-decker from Martham to Martham Broad & back.  the wind was such that we didnt't need to tack (not realy practical tacking there).  As we shot along the reeds at fairly high speed the well-hidden fishermen were most upset...

• Like 3

Have a week booked for September 18th on Pacific Diamond, Spoke to Fiona yesterday about making the final payment, She told me to hold off until the middle of August as they have no confidence that the Virus will be gone, Was sound advice and demonstrated the sensible attitude to our ears.

• Like 3

good morning everyone, i type this from Womack dyke, and its glorious outside, last night the boat moored behind me departed at about 6pm, so i thought well thats good at least there is a small space available, sure enough late yesterday evening (about 9.45, still just about light two private boats with a group of youngsters turn up, one slots into the gap behind me and very quickly shuts its engine down, the second double moors next to it and also shuts down quite rapidly, very considerate considering the late hour, and no fuss.

still i had a good night sleep and am awake, drinking my morning tot of rum with coffee, posting on the forum and about to start cooking breakfast.

• Like 9

I have been running webcams front and rear most of yesterday, though having filled one 32Gb memory card already, and presumably over half filled the 64Gb card in the other, I can see i will have to be more selective over which sections of river I record, yesterdays was mostly the rivers above Potter heigham, I think I will film a section up to dilham, and another to coltishall, my 3 main planned destinations for this holiday, i do have 2 spare 32Gb cards and the 4 8Gb ones that came with the cameras to spare, i do hope you lot are prepared for the hours of cruising videos when I get back

• Like 5