2nd Day

PaulMargaret

Hi all we picked our boat up yesterday from stalham stayed overnight in Sutton we are now moored on the island at Salhouse broad island.

having trouble mooring there is only 2 of us and trying to get the boat in neutral when I pull along side is very difficult to pull the gear lever out.

When will we need water and a pump out ?

we will also need food supplies but I am terrified of mooring near other boats thats why I have moored here today because no other boats here yet

Thanks mate upto now this holiday has been very stressful I've been shaking we are here for two weeks.

We was thinking of going into Wroxham first thing and hope we can get passed the bridge and moor easily.

Then we was going to go to colitshall for the evening any advise would be greatly appreciated I will probably have a sleepless night just thinking about it 

26 minutes ago, PaulMargaret said:

we will also need food supplies but I am terrified of mooring near other boats thats why I have moored here today because no other boats here yet

Refill whenever you can when it`s not raining as a short refill takes less time. Pump out varies on how many people and how often, did the yard not say anything? Can always give them a call to refresh.

Re mooring, watch and learn Paul, watch and learn. :default_biggrin:

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, PaulMargaret said:

Thanks mate upto now this holiday has been very stressful I've been shaking we are here for two weeks.

We was thinking of going into Wroxham first thing and hope we can get passed the bridge and moor easily.

Then we was going to go to colitshall for the evening any advise would be greatly appreciated I will probably have a sleepless night just thinking about it 

Don’t stress , just take things slow and easy and relax , best to ring the pilot with your boat details to confirm the height of the bridge will permit you to pass under and the best time to do so.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, PaulMargaret said:

difficult to pull the gear lever out.

there is no need to pull the gear lever out,  neutral is midway between forward and reverse,  you only need to pull the lever out when starting

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, PaulMargaret said:

Thanks for the replies were do I get the pilots number from and what time do I ring him?

The numbers are on here.

https://www.richardsonsboatingholidays.co.uk/first-timers/norfolk-broads-bridges/

With the weather we've been having, it might be worth giving him a bell before you set off to make sure your boat will go through. Tides are all over the place so clearance hasn't been all that much.

• Thanks 1

Guest Jayfire

Hi Paul And Margaret 

First of all, do not go stressing and losing sleep. You are on holiday and you're there to enjoy and relax in the wonderful Broadland surroundings.

1 hour ago, PaulMargaret said:

Having trouble mooring there is only 2 of us and trying to get the boat in neutral when I pull along side is very difficult to pull the gear lever out.

2 is plenty, I and many others helm all alone so don't think you need a whole crew in order to safely get secured up.

With regards to mooring near other boats, just take your time, go nice and slow and if there isn't a mooring that looks comfortably spacious for you then just move on to somewhere else.

You have 2 weeks to stop where you wish and if somewhere is busy today, then tomorrow it may be half empty.

If possible moor between 2 hire boats rather than somebodies own pride and joy, the boatyards can then deal with any knocks if you happen to get it a little wrong rather than someone's own personal insurance claim, but if you keep it slow, getting it wrong will just cause a little nudge which can easily be apologised for when safely secured up. Don't panic but DO wear a lifejacket

Remember approach slow against the tide, using astern to slow as required, if you need to turn then a quick blip of forward throttle with the wheel turned will soon have you changing course without an increase in speed

Try and fill with water whenever the facility is available, dependent on your usage you will have a few days but best to have a full tank before departing a mooring with the facility, all boatyards will have water for you too

With the water levels currently, and your state of mind, could I politely suggest maybe leaving Wroxham for a later date. It is one of the busiest spots on the Broads and you may feel a little more comfortable there once you have grown more confident with the boat.

On the other hand why not moor in NBD to the left of the bridge, fill with water, get some shopping and then phone the bridge pilot later, or the following morning who may well be happy to take you through the bridge from your boatyard mooring, saving you heading over to the pilot's mooring spot and getting moored there beside the bridge. I know they have done so before

Finally once again, please try and relax and enjoy. You'll be absolutely fine in a day or two and wonder what you were stressing over. Relax and enjoy, you're in a wonderful place and soon you'll be calm enough to appreciate it. Just cut yourself some slack, you'll do fine

As Jay said, two on board is plenty. If you moor side on, do so against the tide - the main thing then is for your crew member to secure you bow rope, the tide should then ensure that your stern is pushed onto the mooring.

I found this website gives very clear instructions on mooring

https://www.mynorfolkbroadsboating.co.uk/mooring up.html

and also for leaving the mooring

https://www.mynorfolkbroadsboating.co.uk/leaving moorings.html
Just make sure that your crew member knows what you want them to do. Even though we’ve been on lots of trips now, I still tell my husband how I’m intending to do and which rope I’d like him to cast off/secure first. Communication is key!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

mooring with two is fairly easy, one person on the helm, one on the ropes. I generally manage quite well enough when going solo, where I have to do all the work, helm and ropes. its easier if you prepare your ropes before hand, eg lay the bow and stern rope along to the helm position on a centre cockpit boat and step off with both ropes in hand, as long as you get one tied off you can sort out the other when you have time - even if its stuck straight out into the river, with one end secured you have time to sort yourself out. if the rope isnt long enough tie two ropes together. accept help on stern moorings, going between two other boats once you have the stern lined up you can pass a rope to those on that boat and they will walk you in. by the end of the week you will be wondering what all the fuss was about and be helping other new people. if you want to practice mooring etc find yourself a nice empty bit of broad or mooring and just have a practice, remember slow is good.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oh dear. I remember wondering why I had agreed to a boating holiday for a few days the first time. Why didn’t I stick to a hotel rather than all this moving on and finding somewhere new to moor up each night. But I was still hooked. 

Remember that as a hire craft you can moor in the boatyards and they may be good places for getting shopping. 

And if you’re anxious about the day ahead, get up early, leave your mooring, cruise until late morning, then grab a mooring and enjoy relaxing on the boat for the rest of the day. 

I don’t want to ask you to name the boat you’re on if you’d rather not but it would be helpful to know what kind of boat you’re on. Ask for help if you need it. And if you’re really nervous still then you could always go back to the yard and ask for more tuition. Two weeks is too long to be stressed on your holiday!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

As others have said take it slow when mooring up. Make sure you wear your life jackets on deck at all times and hold onto the hand rails when on deck. Do not jump ashore. If you come in slow you should be able to get close enough to step ashore with your mooring rope. What boat do you have. Do you have bow thrusters. If you go to Wroxham there may be side on moorings at Brinkcraft or stern on in the basin. Norfolk Broads Direct is down the opening on the left before the bridge. How many toilets do you have on the boat. If you have two and use one at a time you will know roughly how long it will take before you need to pump them both out. Also a lot of boats have a gauge on the dashboard which shows how much water you have left in your fresh water tank. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A quick way to tell which way the tide is flowing if you are unsure is to put the gear into neutral, you will feel the indent before get into reverse, if you do not seem to be slowing you are going with the tide if it feels like you are slowing as if braking you are going against the tide.

Looking at the way the ripples are going is also a help but the wind maybe masking the tidal flow.

Stop worrying as has been said when mooring SLOW is the name of the game.

People will always help.

paul

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, SwanR said:

Oh dear. I remember wondering why I had agreed to a boating holiday for a few days the first time. Why didn’t I stick to a hotel rather than all this moving on and finding somewhere new to moor up each night. But I was still hooked. 

Remember that as a hire craft you can moor in the boatyards and they may be good places for getting shopping. 

And if you’re anxious about the day ahead, get up early, leave your mooring, cruise until late morning, then grab a mooring and enjoy relaxing on the boat for the rest of the day. 

I don’t want to ask you to name the boat you’re on if you’d rather not but it would be helpful to know what kind of boat you’re on. Ask for help if you need it. And if you’re really nervous still then you could always go back to the yard and ask for more tuition. Two weeks is too long to be stressed on your holiday!

Stargem 2 is the name of the boat

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Graham47 said:

As others have said take it slow when mooring up. Make sure you wear your life jackets on deck at all times and hold onto the hand rails when on deck. Do not jump ashore. If you come in slow you should be able to get close enough to step ashore with your mooring rope. What boat do you have. Do you have bow thrusters. If you go to Wroxham there may be side on moorings at Brinkcraft or stern on in the basin. Norfolk Broads Direct is down the opening on the left before the bridge. How many toilets do you have on the boat. If you have two and use one at a time you will know roughly how long it will take before you need to pump them both out. Also a lot of boats have a gauge on the dashboard which shows how much water you have left in your fresh water tank. 

We are on stargem 2

Your boat should be a good stater boat. Not a bad length and the front well and doors makes it easier when side on mooring to get out of when the first person is already ashore when mooring up. It saves having to go to the back of the boat and scramble out of the back door. It also has a low air draft which means you are not so restricted with the bridges. Dilham is a nice trip if you can get under Wayford bridge, or stop at Wayford Bridge and visit the Wayford bridge inn. The cross keys at Dilham is a nice pub. Sutton Staithe Hotel is another quiet mooring. If you decide to moor on your mud-weight in a broad, make sure you are far enough away from other boats so that when you swing round you don’t hit them. If you struggle to pull the weight out of the mud when leaving use the engine to reverse slowly until the weight is pulled out of the mud then you should be able put the engine in neutral and pull the weight up by hand. Don’t be tempted to go to Yarmouth or further south.The tides at Yarmouth flow very fast and can be un nerving  for a beginner. There is plenty to see and do up north and after a couple of days you should become more confident.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I do hope things improve for you both, there's not much to add really to the excellent advice already given only to echo taking it slow and wearing your life jackets. I feel certain once you've gotten more confident you'll relax a bit and enjoy, I do hope so

Let us know how you are getting on as your holiday progresses, we all do care and want you to return once this holiday is over. Don't ever forget we were all beginners once

What do you think of the Star Gem? I found her to be a proper nice boat

Take care both of you x

• Like 1

Seeing as you're there for two weeks, I would recommend staying above Stokes by until you have gained your confidence for mooring. Where mooring is concerned, take it slow, against the tide, and don't be afraid to ask someone ashore to help if necessary. Also, as mentioned by somebody above, find a clear less busy stretch of river and practice several times.  One other bit of advice, try not to use too much throttle to turn quicker, often, going from forward to reverse and back several times in a confined space without using full throttle will often be a lot safer and turn the boat round easier. 

As has been said, slow and easy. 

• Like 1

I cant add anything to the above, all excellent advice!

Just think back to when you first learnt to swim, ride a bike or drove a car!

At first you think I cant do this, but yes you bl**dy well did!

A bit of practice and in a couple of days you'll wonder what you were worried about

If you really are that concerned, as someone said above ring Richardsons and ask for a bit more tuition, but I doubt you'll need it

You can do this

• Like 1
  • Love 1

think star gem is one we were given to replace serene gem if it's still a 4 poster hope you're not tall people ... water try and do every other day , we never  needed a pump out on  weeks trip but you may be avoiding public toilets.