What To Look Out For Hiring Or Buying A Boat

Andrewcook

When we were hiring our priorities were:

1.a boat that could get under all the bridges (apart from Potter),

2. a good size fridge (some are tiny...ok if you mostly eat out but useless if you like to prepare most of your own meals) and

3  an 'island' bed, so one of us didn't have to crawl across the other for loo visits. 

Depends on what's important to you personally.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

One size doesn`t fit all when it come to boats Andrew

Absolutely agree, but hearing what other people look for does give you ideas. For us it's comfy seating - usually freestanding furniture - and being able to see out of the saloon. What's the point in being on the Broads if you can't see them and spend a week looking at the inside of a cabin.

• Like 2

Not having to look at boring reeds when cruising down South.  Also being able to stern moor safely, having all round vision when at the helm to mention just three points.

Avoiding the whining and inefficiency of hydraulic drive, heads and showers that are smaller than the seven dwarfs house, tiny fridges, ridiculously narrow side decks, no stern access.

The 'One Size Doesn't Fit All' statement is very true

Another one:-

Every boat in it's design is a compromise

Another one:-

What works for one may not work for another

And Finally:-

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

Griff

'Beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder'  =  Beer goggles

• Like 8

Being a Jock, I do like a bargain 😃

The £1000 I save , goes on food and drink. A boat which can get under most bridges is high on the agenda, as is one which lends itself to fishing from.

But really, if it’s clean, floats , is water tight and the appliances work , then you are on the broads, so that’s what counts. I’ve never really understood the need for tv’s in bedrooms. It goes against everything the broads has always meant to me.

Each to their own though, it would be a funny old world if we all liked the same things.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, RS2021 said:

and being able to see out of the saloon. What's the point in being on the Broads if you can't see them and spend a week looking at the inside of a cabin.

Absolutely agree.  My parents hired a luxurious boat but mum couldn’t see out.  

If buying, go and view a wide range and don't make a snappy decision.  We made the mistake twice and finally got it mostly right on the third purchase in a year.   As has been said, there is always a compromise and i often wish we had stuck by our list of must haves. I want a boat that doesn't exist.  Centre helm, stern access and a front well-deck still with a bow cabin! 

• Like 2

For us, firstly it's what is available for the dates that we have available (tied to school holidays)

Secondly , accommodation to suit our party, our kids like to have a cabin each and we like it if they are not fighting

Thirdly, I agree with Griff, the helm needs to be raised, so either a centre saloon with sliding roof or a dual helm, sorry, I know !

Fourth, price, we are not really bothered about luxury, quite happy with a basic boat as long as it works

We had Flash of Light last weekend and it was great. Bit rough round the edges but 3 cabins, 3 loos, heating worked, we had a great time!

• Like 3

Large windows, a toilet, the ability to keep most of the water on the outside, no long sticks on the roof with string and  flappy bits, especially aluminium sticks with bits of string hanging down that go "ting ting ting" all bloody night in a breeze, no log burner, no potted plants (anywhere on the planet!). :default_hiding:

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, YnysMon said:

12 hours ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

One size doesn`t fit all when it come to boats Andrew

11 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

What works for one may not work for another

11 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

Every boat in it's design is a compromise

11 hours ago, ZimbiIV said:

It floats.

paul

11 hours ago, NotDeadYet said:

Age/agility are a consideration as well.

11 hours ago, Wonderwall said:

Each to their own though, it would be a funny old world if we all liked the same things.

10 hours ago, Wussername said:

In my opinion it is the ability to get on and off the thing is of paramount importance. For both the owner and partner.

I think the statements above say it all. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Wonderwall said:

Being a Jock, I do like a bargain 😃

The £1000 I save , goes on food and drink. A boat which can get under most bridges is high on the agenda, as is one which lends itself to fishing from.

I have to say I can relate to that. I've hired the top end stuff in the past, often when it is very new. Those boats are often very comfortable (not always!) and everything is nice and new and shiny and you're usually the envy of other boaters at the moorings.....

But you've usually paid two and a half times what the guy next to you in a Melody or a Major Gem has paid... And he's seeing exactly the same sights and sounds and is enjoying his holiday just as much. But also, because he's saved so much on the hire cost, he's able to eat out most nights and still pay less.

I don't hire the new stuff any more....

• Like 4

13 hours ago, YnysMon said:

When we were hiring our priorities were:

1.a boat that could get under all the bridges (apart from Potter),

2. a good size fridge (some are tiny...ok if you mostly eat out but useless if you like to prepare most of your own meals) and

3  an 'island' bed, so one of us didn't have to crawl across the other for loo visits. 

Can I just add, ease of mooring, not too much of a height when getting on and off,  some of us are not quite as nimble as we used to be.   

Seconded for the fridge,  got to have a bit more of a freezer space than a small box that would only take a packet of peas.  I agree with the island bed too.    Ok when you are in your 30s 40s and 50s but when your 60s and 70s and 80s are knocking on your door , the need for the loo in the night is more urgent.

A good heating system is a necessary thing to in the early and later months.

• Like 1

Think it depends on two parts.From a comfort view.Does it feel comfortable, is there good space storage, fridge,cooker.Good seating,beds.Whats the loo,shower like and so on.

Can you and crew handle the boat well.In my opinion many boats now seem to be more like floating hotels,and don't look that easy to handle.Dont be afraid of asking questions. Don't just kick the tires:default_biggrin:

16 minutes ago, psychicsurveyor said:

Being 6'3" and having a son who is 6'6", headroom is the priority.

That's definitely a problem with the older boats. When hiring with my mates I tend to go for boats with a large dinette and opt for that as they can accommodate my 6'2" more easily.

I think when you’ve hired for a number of years you have a fair idea of what suits you and how often you actually intend to use the boat. I am always glad that we bought a boat with a second sleeping cabin - that fast became our storeroom. It’s surprising what you find you need for an extended trip! 
Many people buy when they retire and are still active so I think careful thought is needed then as to how you might be in a few years time when wear and tear and aches and pains possibly creep in. What you can clamber up and down now may become a drawback later on.  Of course, you can always change the boat but that means starting all over again to find what suits you. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, psychicsurveyor said:

I can't think of a boat I have been on, including my current one, where my feet don’t hang over the end of the bed by at least 6". It is something taller people get used to, a bit like ducking your head :default_biggrin:

Our son in law is 6ft 7 when he and our daughter are booking holiday accommodation they have to confirm that the beds do not have end boards which is often a problem if staying at a boutique style of hotel 

• Like 2