Covid19 Booster

46 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Ditto to that, but luckily the hospital numbers have not gone up to the same degree, I've been watching them since waiting for a hernia op to get an idea if it was going to happen or not, job done a month ago now but still watch the numbers just to see whats happening, let's hope it stays that way.

Agreed - none are seriously ill in the slightest.

However, I have voluntarily isolated as far as practical the last couple of weeks as my OH has recently had surgery, so is vulnerable to infections at the moment. Was the first time we have not either gone out or seen friends or family on NYE,  just to be safe. 

Will be relaxing that from this week, and starting to return to some sense of normal again. 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Heron said:

Does that include the 981 that have died in the last 7 days within 28 days of a positive test? Seems like they were probably seriously ill.

What was the last 7 days figure for the last 6 months? Has it shot up nearly as much as the positives? (I don't know I've not looked at those figures)

I'm not dismissing the risks just looking at the increases, I won't be licking shopping trolleys any time soon.

None of the people I spoke to said they had died.

I must confess that I treat the death figures with a degree of cynicism.  There is no breakdown to indicate the percentage of vaccinated of non vaccinated, ages or whether they had pre-existing conditions that would render them more likely to be susceptible to the effects of the virus within those numbers.

Its sad, but none of us live forever.  By comparison to the number of infections, the number of deaths recorded is quite low and probably comparable to the number of deaths during an average week during the annual winter flu season.

Sorry, but I’m a realist.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Heron said:

The last 7 days means, the last 7 days!

Yes I know that but there's has been a "last 7 days" number since the start, how much has it changed since the latest rise in numbers? I've only really looked at the "last 24 hours" deaths and a lot of those did not die from covid, they died with covid so I have not dwelled on those numbers, I know of one (a friends father) that was involved in an RTA and was almost decapitated, he lasted two days and covid was on the death certificate, covid certainly didn't cause his death.

the revealing statistics are the comparison between daily new cases and daily deaths, as we see with daily cases there is a huge spike on the graph due to Omnicron, but only a small rise in the daily deaths, unlike the spike from Delta, that was accompanied by a spike in deaths.

(charts from the worldometer coronavirus data site)

daily cases.JPG

daily deaths.JPG

bear in mind though that deaths data may lag behind the new cases data by several weeks, so it might just be too early to tell.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Bikertov said:

Agreed - none are seriously ill in the slightest.

Have a friend who went out for a night with her friend from work. Both contracted Omicron. Her friend has been absolutely knocked for six with it and tested day 6 and was clear after being positive on day five. But my friend has no symptoms and has not proved negative until day 8. Totally weird.

1 hour ago, ExSurveyor said:

Just driven past the testing centre at Postwick, it was heaving. I haven't seen it that busy in the last two years. :default_wacko:

It’s been like that for the last few weeks (Boxing Day all the roads were blocked with people trying to get in ) much busier than last year as you say. 

John 

• Like 1

Its a good job we don't test for every other infectious diseases as well or the whole economy would collapse with no one able to work in case they pass it on.

Its a bit sad to see it hitting the public sector so very badly - somehow the big companies in the private sector seem to be able to cope! Surprised the supermarkets are managing to keep open and the tanker drivers seemingly coping too! 

somehow the big companies in the private sector seem to be able to cope! Surprised the supermarkets are managing to keep open and the tanker drivers seemingly coping too! 

Hmmmm, I wonder why that is? :default_icon_rolleyes:

Before Christmas my Daughters partner contracted covid.  There are two adults and three children in a four bedroom detached and its quite large.  So daughter locked her partner in their bedroom for ten days isolation (It has an en-suite and a tv).  They double masked when taking up food etc, she deep cleaned the house / trays / crockery and cutlery constantly.  He came through it with eventually a negative test, her and the little uns remained covid free. it was a mammoth task but they succeeded 

Griff

• Like 3

Good luck Andyg, they estimate 75% of people with cough and cold symptoms are covid positive.

My taste is a bit off and I feel like I have a cold starting, normally we would put it down to a cold.

I will test every day to be cautious and keep away from everyone. Hopefully I won't have to cut short my time onboard.

10 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

somehow the big companies in the private sector seem to be able to cope! Surprised the supermarkets are managing to keep open and the tanker drivers seemingly coping too! 

Hmmmm, I wonder why that is? :default_icon_rolleyes:

Before Christmas my Daughters partner contracted covid.  There are two adults and three children in a four bedroom detached and its quite large.  So daughter locked her partner in their bedroom for ten days isolation (It has an en-suite and a tv).  They double masked when taking up food etc, she deep cleaned the house / trays / crockery and cutlery constantly.  He came through it with eventually a negative test, her and the little uns remained covid free. it was a mammoth task but they succeeded 

Griff

So pleased to hear all is well and a big well done to your daughter who was so vigilant in protecting herself and the children and at the same time looking after her other half.     It is just about possible in a large home as you say where you can isolate completely.    My son and daughter in law also have a large 5 bedroom house but have a Canadian style cabin built in the garden which is totally self contained and the plan has always been , to be able to keep my son free of it and to protect the business , then he would decamp out there if anyone caught the virus.  So far so good.    The problems arise when families just have not got these luxuries.   I can imagine a little family in a small home trying to cope, it must be nigh on impossible.

Same here with hubby and me, we have a two bed bungalow so no chance of completely isolating.  We just dont mix with anyone if we can possibly get away with it.     Life has to go on and we have hospital and doctors appointments , you just have to be so careful.

• Like 4

On the other hand, when I got covid in sept with no symptoms apart from a headache which is common enough for me anyway, we were knocking about the house together, in the same car etc for 6 days before I was told I had it on a positive pcr I’d done at the medical trials centre I had attended. (The lateral flow test they did didn’t pick it up). Tony, even with perhaps lowered immunity from cancer treatment, didn’t get it at all, confirmed by negative pcr and numerous lateral flow tests. Maybe I got a very low dose of it?

• Like 2

Well covid has struck our house, my wife son and myself have all tested positive this morning. We all have cold like symptoms a very nasty hacking cough and generally feel like rubbish. It's surprising how quickly it takes hold, after my wife's 1st bout of covid back in June 2020 we virtually cut ourselves off from the world. Its only been since Sept last year we started to live again. Oh well it is what it is...bloody virus. 

• Sad 6

15 minutes ago, andyg said:

Well covid has struck our house, my wife son and myself have all tested positive this morning. We all have cold like symptoms a very nasty hacking cough and generally feel like rubbish. It's surprising how quickly it takes hold, after my wife's 1st bout of covid back in June 2020 we virtually cut ourselves off from the world. Its only been since Sept last year we started to live again. Oh well it is what it is...bloody virus. 

Just think, Andy.  It could be worse.  You could have been an anti vaxxer.

See, there is a bright side!  😁

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, marshman said:

Its a bit sad to see it hitting the public sector so very badly - somehow the big companies in the private sector seem to be able to cope! Surprised the supermarkets are managing to keep open and the tanker drivers seemingly coping too! 

Daughter 3 was staying with us in the week up to Christmas and working from her bedroom.  She works for a large 'partnership' company involved with data management.  She spent the entire week ensuring there was sufficient management in place in all the food stores to keep them open. (I think in the south of England not all England/Wales?)  All her fellow management colleagues were working in the stores covering- so she was left at the end of a phone line/computer ensuring the placements were made.  That was how the stores remained open!

31 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

Just think, Andy.  It could be worse.  You could have been an anti vaxxer.

See, there is a bright side!  😁

Lol..I'm fine I've decide to pitch up on the sofa and chill. We've all been here before after my wife caught, in the 1st wave. Even brighter side I don't have to endure my annoying brother in law at the weekend lol. Doh hope my wife's not a member here, 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, andyg said:

Lol..I'm fine I've decide to pitch up on the sofa and chill. We've all been here before after my wife caught, in the 1st wave. Even brighter side I don't have to endure my annoying brother in law at the weekend lol. Doh hope my wife's not a member here, 

You mean your soon-to-be ex-wife  :default_shocked1animated:

• Haha 1

Well after waking up with a sore throat during the night the first job this morning was a LFT before going to work, Negative!

Oh crap I've got to go to work instead of going back to bed was the first thought, I'm starting to feel left out now....

I think I'm now pretty much resigned to the fact it's gonna happen sometime so may as well get it out of the way while it's a milder version, still gonna be careful and follow the rules though.

• Like 1