Covid19 Booster

Update on how we are getting on with Omicron. My son in his early 30s is back up and running after just 5 days. Both we and Kim have been knocked for six, we are both very fatigued very short of breath. I woke this morning at 7am I fed the cats let them out and made a cuppa. I was back in bed by 8am and I woke again at 2.30 this afternoon. So unlike me. I spoke with a friend yesterday who is recovering from the delta variant unfortunately he now seem to have long covid, his a very active guy a self employed builder by trade. Its quite upsetting to hear how it has affected him and his life. I suffered from a bout of flu about ten years ago and I'd say Omicron is no worse in my experience. Granted it affects everyone differently or so it would seem. If you have ever suffered with flu your know just how horrible it can be. Stay safe and remember hands face space. Didn't bloody work for us tho lol..

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

It appears that things commercial are hopefully  slowly returning to normal post covid. No.1 granddaughter who has been mostly  working from home  since 2020 has just been informed by her bosses that she can expect to be in S. Africa for  3 months during the coming year in 4 seperate trips  each of 3 weeks duration. These trips won't include the the trips to Italy, Denmark and Germany that she will probably have to make as well She is a branding consultant with a London agency but as a 20 something girl with a  regular boyfriend and a  very full on social life she is less than impressed to hear this news.

Carole

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My son who works with medically vulnerable, in the Special Needs Education Sector had his second Booster today. His 4th before his poor knacked father gets his. He is based in Buckinghamshire.

We've just recovered from our 2nd bout of covid, unfortunately it spread right through the whole family this time. Two of our grandchildren had it as well. To be honest the children and our son were fine just very mild cold like symptoms. Me the wife and daughter didn't fair so well. All of us have had our boosters, getting fed up to the back teeth with covid now. I'm really not sure if I want a 4th jab, I'm not anti the vaccine I'm just struggling to see where this all ends. 

10 hours ago, andyg said:

We've just recovered from our 2nd bout of covid, unfortunately it spread right through the whole family this time. Two of our grandchildren had it as well. To be honest the children and our son were fine just very mild cold like symptoms. Me the wife and daughter didn't fair so well. All of us have had our boosters, getting fed up to the back teeth with covid now. I'm really not sure if I want a 4th jab, I'm not anti the vaccine I'm just struggling to see where this all ends. 

Looking at the daily figures which, due to the crisis in Ukraine, seem to have become page 2 or 3 news now, it appears that the case count is rising again now.  When free testing ends, no one will have an inkling of how the ‘endemic’ is going, as there will be no data to even give a hint of what’s happening.

Frankly, I think we’re all fed up to the back teeth with it now.  The fact is, it won’t end.  It’s a virus that will be with us ongoing and we will have to learn to live with it.  If an annual jab becomes necessary, I’ll roll my sleeve up ready, just the same way as many of us have for ‘flu for years.  Perhaps, in time, the ‘flu jab will be combined with one for whatever Covid mutation hits us each year.  Drug testing will continue, I’m sure and in time new medication will become available to mitigate some of the symptoms.

I’ve given up worrying about it.  I have a mask with me when I go shopping, but that remains in my pocket.  I’ve said before and I’ll say it again, none of know what’s around the corner, so whilst I’m here, I’m going to do my best to enjoy it, despite still not being able to drink Coca-Cola, or smell or taste other things almost two years after contracting the virus.

Look to Eastern Europe.  Things could be and may still get, a whole lot worse.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm still wearing a mask when I go out and am trying to be almost as cautious than ever, though I must admit I have met up with some work colleagues for meetings/lunch on a few occasions recently.

Since the New Year several of my work colleagues or family or friends of family have caught it. It seems that I can't go more than a few days or so without hearing about someone else who has it. Granted, none of them have become seriously ill, but most of them are a lot younger than I am and some of them have really struggled with tiredness for an extended period, despite having had their three jabs.

Previously, over the past two years, I hadn't come across that many people that have caught Covid, not since that first lockdown in March 2020 when our neighbours caught it and my neighbour Ann died as a result. That was a huge shock, and probably shaped our attitude to Covid.

My takeaway from this is that people who were taking the advice seriously and who were taking precautions were at a low risk of catching it when there were 'rules' in place, but are catching it now that the population in general is lowering its guard. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have managed so far to avoid catching it, Living on my own and only really going out shopping probably helps here, and with an office full of youngsters who will / have probably shrugged it off, I am careful about heading back into the office, I will go in if it is necessary, but generally they have agreed to my working from home, I can train someone via teams and screen sharing just as easily as I can sitting close next to them in the office (actually probably more so because I can control their screen remotely too. I save getting stuck in traffic at the dartford crossing and 3 hours commute a day (as well as the fuel costs). and yes I still mask up in shops generally

• Like 4

I was due to go to a birthday party lthe weekend before last but decided I wasn't comfortable with it as we were due to look after our daughter in law following a big operation this week.

It turns out 6 of ourr circle of friends caught covid that evening. They are all 50 to 60+ age range and vaccinated, some felt worse than others but all suffered enough to be laid up for a week. Had they not been vaccinated they may well have been a lot worse.

If the NHS offer me a booster I will roll up my sleeve, it offers protection against serious illness that I will be grateful for.

• Like 4

With the rules changing re Covid my son had to go in work this week even though he has a positive result and feeling rough. This is in the royal navy as well. He was one of the few people not to get it on an 8 month deployment last year. So now it’s considered as a common cold and nothing to worry about any more after 2 years of panic mode !

John

• Sad 1

Thankfully Marina and I have not had Covid. We've  both  had three jabs.Im seeing the nurse next week,regarding  my new puffer.I will ask about a forth jab.As Helen  said in recent  months  I've come across more people  who have now had the illness. Our daughter  told us today she's just got it.I think in time the jab will be replaced  by a tablet. 

I'm amazed me and MrsG have never contracted covid to date.  We are both triple jabbed.  MrsG works in our Local Spar shop so always lots of contact with the general public, I'm in and out of hundreds of dwellings plus suppliers week in week out

My daughter n partner and her three young children have all had it, the four year old thought it was great when he had it as he somehow thought he had been missing out and was proudly telling all and sundry (Via media comms of course) wearing the issue like some sort of badge of honour!

Bro' and his MrsG have had it, around half of my mates and our social circle have had it in its various strains at some point too

I suppose its inevitable that we will succumb sooner or later

Griff

Looking at the Government's Covid web site which I do daily,  infections are on the up but thankfully deaths and admissions to hospital seem to be going down.    Norfolk/Suffolk had gone in the pink but we are back again the blue once more.   I personally will not stop wearing my mask. Even though my glasses steam up every time and I have trouble seeing.   I have noticed that here in Beccles 99 % of shoppers are wearing a mask which is good, that is in Morrisons.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

Most people  I see are no longer  wearing masks.Hopefully this is a bleep.Yes I'm at a high risk regarding Covid,but it no longer gives me any un due worries.

I agree and we have so much to be thankful for.     

Mine lasted a week, and the wife went down with it the day I tested negatitive. Both mild, I was having aches and sweats on day 2&3, and lost taste for a few days. Both worked fom home, with no real issues. Back to normal now.

• Like 1

Starting this morning, they no longer require facemasks in France, except on transport or in medical centres.  I haven't been out shopping yet but it will be interesting to see what happens.

All the French newspapers seem to be delighted that we can get rid of the things and get back to normal human facial communication again.  My guess is that at least half the population around here will be too terrified to take them off and will continue to peer wide - eyed over the top of them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Vaughan said:

will continue to peer wide - eyed over the top of them.

I'm booked for a cataract op in 12 days time, so I'm being a bit wide-eyed and masked at the moment! Hopefully, I'll be even more wide-eyed after the op - and mostly maskless.

• Like 2