Mooring Fees

CambridgeCabby

Funnily enough, there's an article about the re-opening on the EDP website today.  It says they mean to make it "A jewel of the Broads".

It which case it will have to improve a great deal on the reputation it has always had in my living memory.

• Like 4

Yeah, agreed.

I tend to choose the Ferry simply because it's the pub in Horning that I hate the least and because there's a decent chance of getting moored outside.

Looking at the pedigree of the new tenants, I think this might be a step in the right direction.

• Like 1

Byelaw 73 appears to give protection through the reasonable excuse clause with regard to moving a vessel.

eg. moving a boat to create a mooring space for another vessel seems a very reasonable excuse.

• Like 1

Let's face it, I very much doubt anyone goes into any pub nowadays and spend less then 20 quid. Those that don't want to use the pub for whatever reason, why moor there, go elsewhere and let those that are happy to, have your space. I've never had a bad experience here, but I did prefer the new Inn up until our visit last year. Good luck to the new tenants, sounds like they know what there doing. 

• Like 3

Nothing new here, the previous tennants moved boats around the moorings and insisted on double mooring and the farm Moorings at Stokesby insist on double mooring, their property their rules, most marinas also reserve the right to move boats to suit their needs if you read your contract.

Fred

15 hours ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

The bit about informing a member of staff that you want to leave the premises before you do so is in my opinion  unacceptable. 

I agree and it's unenforceable as well. If you want to take a wander down the road to one of the other pubs then it's nothing whatsoever to do with The Ferry.

12 hours ago, floydraser said:

I can see thier problem in that they don't want people to moor up, have a pint then wander off elsewhere sightseeing. As I said before, the wording needs to be a whole lot clearer.

The sign states that the £20.00 is a mooring charge. Nowhere on the sign does it state that it is conditional on you using the pub.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Graham47 said:

The sign states that the £20.00 is a mooring charge. Nowhere on the sign does it state that it is conditional on you using the pub.

An expensive overnight stop if you don't intend using said pub. They don't even offer a water hose.

11 hours ago, rightsaidfred said:

most marinas also reserve the right to move boats to suit their needs if you read your contract.

A marina is a boatyard business with qualified staff and appropriate insurance.  A pub which employs some colourful local character to assume the authority to put other people's boats where he likes just to cram more customers in the pub, is not the same thing at all, in my view.

That said, it is surely an obvious courtesy that you don't moor on a pub quay unless you intend to use the pub?

Publicans like Gilly Tallowin, Geoff Pleasants, Simon Whitmore or Harry Last would not have put up with that - but sadly those days are gone, it seems.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Vaughan said:

A marina is a boatyard business with qualified staff and appropriate insurance.  A pub which employs some colourful local character to assume the authority to put other people's boats where he likes just to cram more customers in the pub, is not the same thing at all, in my view.

That said, it is surely an obvious courtesy that you don't moor on a pub quay unless you intend to use the pub?

Publicans like Gilly Tallowin, Geoff Pleasants, Simon Whitmore or Harry Last would not have put up with that - but sadly those days are gone, it seems.

A pub is also a business and I believe the last tennants had to be suitably insured, you pays your money and takes your choice, mine is don't moor outside pubs, if I did I would expect to abide by their rules as I would in any other businesses premises or car park.

Fred 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Graham47 said:

I think you may have missed my point which I probably didn't make quite clear: During the day there is no charge so people could spend little but occupy a space, potentially affecting sales. The charge only applies after 4pm so anyone mooring after then is less likely to stifle sales. Hence the reason they want you to let them know if you intend to leave your boat and go wandering; in busy periods they may ask you to find another mooring. It maybe doesn't sound nice written down but people do tend to take the p**s.

• Confused 1

Morning at ferry marina boatyard is fine if your a hirer and want to use the pub. But someone has put up a fence and locked gate, so now you have to walk round to the pub. Not a big issue granted, but why ?? There's always been access to the pub along the bank ever since I can remember. 

I’ve seen private boats moored at FM as well. I don’t know whether they still allow that since changing ownership or whether they charge. But if you can get on their riverfront it’s quite a nice mooring. 

57 minutes ago, SwanR said:

I’ve seen private boats moored at FM as well. I don’t know whether they still allow that since changing ownership or whether they charge. But if you can get on their riverfront it’s quite a nice mooring. 

To be fair I'd rather moor at fm, it's not as noisy as right outside the pub. I can only assume its the cators who have erected the gate etc. Shame, but a little walk never hurt anyone lol..

25 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

Without wishing to throw a broomstick into the witch hunt, might I be allowed to mention that the sign posted by the OP was put up by the previous management and might not be applicable under the new one?

Aw you spoil all the fun MM.

5 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

Without wishing to throw a broomstick into the witch hunt, might I be allowed to mention that the sign posted by the OP was put up by the previous management and might not be applicable under the new one?

You'll never make it as a journalist MM, spoiling a good story with pesky facts 😁

🍺

• Haha 3

55 minutes ago, Ray said:

You'll never make it as a journalist MM, spoiling a good story with pesky facts 😁

🍺

Eh??????  Journalist and facts are two words that shouldn’t be used in the same phrase, Ray, or certainly not in the papers that I read!!😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

We ate at The Lion on friday. The service, food and drinks were all outstanding 👍

By coincidence we are having Sunday lunch at The Lion Somerton today...

If only there was a Tiger and maybe a Rhino we could go on a pub safari instead of a pub crawl 🙂

• Like 3
  • Haha 2