Boats For Sale,brokers Etc

We searched for over three years before we were lucky enough to find Cerise Lady , raising our budget twice in the meanwhile , all within two days of her going on the market .

Good ones will always sell quick and often for a premium.

When we sold her last year, taking the time waiting for a surveyor to be available out of the equation, she sold in under ten days , our current boat we purchased four days after she went up for sale ,paid a deposit on first view agreeing the purchase (subject to survey) and she had five more viewings booked the same .

Using the internet etc is good but nothing beats going to the brokers in person , often they will know of upcoming stock well before the advert is on line 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mouldy said:

Be careful with that, now.  Since Brexit, there may be issues and charges importing from Ireland, including the addition of VAT.

That’s true, I think it’s just the VAT but that’s plenty!

30’ twin engines; there has been a long standing debate about this somewhere I remember reading, (try google), between the projects/princess 31/32’, these appear to be slightly more common installed with drive legs, and the twin engine Ocean and Broom 30s which are mainly on shafts. 

Cheers 

Paul 

8 hours ago, PCL023 said:

30’ twin engines; there has been a long standing debate about this somewhere I remember reading, (try google), between the projects/princess 31/32’, these appear to be slightly more common installed with drive legs, and the twin engine Ocean and Broom 30s which are mainly on shafts. 

Cheers 

Paul 

The Project 31 hull is what's used for the Senior 31/RLM31 and generally on outdrives as paul says and usually only good for displacement speed and not great for seakeeping as tend to be tail heavy, my RLM 31 had twin bilge keels about 10" deep and it made it quite notorious for doing tail stands when the going got lumpy as there was nowhere for the water to get out from underneath, I fitted a 300 litre water tank in the bow to help and realised just what a difference it made one time when I'd forgotten to fill it and had a choppy run from boston back to kings lynn, the guy on the following boat (the owner of the marina I was from) said he'd done my underwater survey and would send me an invoice when we got into denver sluice, it didn't have the best seakeeping but still managed many sea miles with us.

I think the princess 32 was a bit better and about a foot wider, of course the princesses were all part of marine projects ltd. anyway (my 30ds is badged as marine projects at the helm).

There is a project 31 at rockland with a single volvo md32 on shaft (via vee drive with engine facing backwards) but it's not up for sale as far as I'm aware, I just know the previous owner.

I would imagine the oceans would be better behaved at sea.

@mikeyboy1966- I am also looking to buy a boat, but having never owned one before. 

I too have started at what seemed a reasonable budget in my mind, and then doubled it and again.

There is certainly a big premium now, compared to say 4 or 5 years ago. Will prices ease off after Covid etc has been consigned to history ? I'm not so sure. With inflation etc, and the price of new boats with better specs, I just don't see the prices of older boats dropping significantly. 

As far as available stock is concerned, I do think a personal visit to the brokers is worth it, and registering your interest with them directly. What is on the web is often either already sold, overpriced or poor quality.

As I am am still in the early looking stage, I'm not too bothered yet. I'm still honing in on exactly what I want (but almost certainly a newer Sedan cruiser). Am I actually ready to buy yet - probably not, as realistically there are still ducks to line up in my life. But at least when the time is right I hope to be ready to pounce on the right one, even if I have to close my eyes when I sign the cheque.

19 minutes ago, Bikertov said:

@mikeyboy1966- I am also looking to buy a boat, but having never owned one before. 

I too have started at what seemed a reasonable budget in my mind, and then doubled it and again.

There is certainly a big premium now, compared to say 4 or 5 years ago. Will prices ease off after Covid etc has been consigned to history ? I'm not so sure. With inflation etc, and the price of new boats with better specs, I just don't see the prices of older boats dropping significantly. 

As far as available stock is concerned, I do think a personal visit to the brokers is worth it, and registering your interest with them directly. What is on the web is often either already sold, overpriced or poor quality.

As I am am still in the early looking stage, I'm not too bothered yet. I'm still honing in on exactly what I want (but almost certainly a newer Sedan cruiser). Am I actually ready to buy yet - probably not, as realistically there are still ducks to line up in my life. But at least when the time is right I hope to be ready to pounce on the right one, even if I have to close my eyes when I sign the cheque.

Make sure you have a mooring prior to any boat purchase.

This is advertised on Boatscrapyard.

Seamaster 30  £5,000
6 berth in 3 cabins
2 stroke Diesel Coventry climax twin engines, ex naval K4s.
Galley recently refurbished. Heads partly refurbished, needs completion.
1 owner for over 30 years. Only for sale due to health reasons. In need of TLC and boat safety certificate. Engines and systems all in good working order. Built in wheel house model, only 6 made. Nice project for someone. Offers welcome.

Hi Smoggy the engine that was fitted to the imp was indeed a war time spec for a pump engine that had to run for so many days without servicing, be man portable plus many more spec's, i cant remember now. great engine only gave trouble in imps when the radiator core became blocked causing over heating we always washed the core on a service, pity manufacturers didn't put this in servicing scheduled would have saved many head gasket changes. John

I had a Sunbeam Stiletto (Imp variant) for about 10 years and remember having the overheating problem with the blocked radiator core.

Apart from that I can't remember having any trouble with that engine.

The engines mentioned in the Seamaster advert are probably KF4s.

22 minutes ago, annv said:

Hi Smoggy the engine that was fitted to the imp was indeed a war time spec for a pump engine that had to run for so many days without servicing, be man portable plus many more spec's, i cant remember now. great engine only gave trouble in imps when the radiator core became blocked causing over heating we always washed the core on a service, pity manufacturers didn't put this in servicing scheduled would have saved many head gasket changes. John

John so true fitted to many Fire service "Porta Pumps" underslung, in its own cradle with wheels. Which could be removed in about one minute.

I vaguely remember chatting to someone at the beauchamps arms a long time ago with a boat powered by 2 stroke diesel, a very distinctive sound indeed but I don't remember what the boat was.

I think it was a commer "knocker" engine.

A previous incarnation of the company I work for now was developing a 2 stoke diesel at one point for light aircraft, would have made a great motor for use with an outdrive as it was very low profile and would have sat below a deck very well, unfortunately they gave up on it before getting sorted as they couldn't get the calculated 100hp out of it. (hp edited, marbles going...)

This was it.

For boat use it would have needed the bottom exhaust ports ditched but top ports could have been increased in size as it was a ring of ports around the cylinder feeding both.

24 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

I vaguely remember chatting to someone at the beauchamps arms a long time ago with a boat powered by 2 stroke diesel, a very distinctive sound indeed but I don't remember what the boat was.

I think it was a commer "knocker" engine.

A previous incarnation of the company I work for now was developing a 2 stoke diesel at one point for light aircraft, would have made a great motor for use with an outdrive as it was very low profile and would have sat below a deck very well, unfortunately they gave up on it before getting sorted as they couldn't get the calculated 100hp out of it. (hp edited, marbles going...)

This was it.

For boat use it would have needed the bottom exhaust ports ditched but top ports could have been increased in size as it was a ring of ports around the cylinder feeding both.

We had 2 stroke diesels in the Class 66/67 tick over was a mere 200rpm. The drivers hated them as they are solidly mounted and covers everything in a light film of oil.  

1 hour ago, webntweb said:

I had a Sunbeam Stiletto (Imp variant) for about 10 years and remember having the overheating problem with the blocked radiator core.

Apart from that I can't remember having any trouble with that engine.

The engines mentioned in the Seamaster advert are probably KF4s.

I had a Stilletto from brand new.  Brilliant little motor but suffered from overheating within about 3 months from purchase. The main dealer could not sort it (it was one of the first) so part exed it for a VX 4.90 when it was about 9 months old!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Happy said:

I had a Stilletto from brand new.  Brilliant little motor but suffered from overheating within about 3 months from purchase. The main dealer could not sort it (it was one of the first) so part exed it for a VX 4.90 when it was about 9 months old!

Now that brings back memories, my dad had a couple of VX4.90's mid to late 70's.

9 hours ago, BrundallNavy said:

Famous in the Lotus Elite. Mk1. 

8 hours ago, FairTmiddlin said:

Also engined the Hillman Imp.

Also very rare, a number of Triumph Heralds, (coupé only I think) and Healy Sprites. I seem to remember that Jack Brabham had something to do with these models.