Broads Bank Moorings

YnysMon

3 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

That’s disappointing. I had hopes of water as I thought I’d caught a glimpse of blue hose.

I didn’t see one at any of the three water points there when we passed, but I may have missed them.

7 minutes ago, Bikertov said:

Cash only- someone is not declaring it :default_shocked1animated:

Small amounts, not in a retail enviroment, not unusual, especially in Norfolk.

10 years ago card payment for small amounts was much less common, it is only post Covid that cash is being used less, even I use contactless payment instead of cash now. I got caught out in the chinese takeaway in Brundall Saturday, cash only so a quick visit to the cash point.

1 hour ago, rightsaidfred said:

Water and pump out still available at Bridgecraft, very helpful crew.

Fred

Of course and I'd be the the first to sing the praises of Bridgecraft but when Acle is busy and Bridgecraft may have limited space, the former Horizon Craft/Broads Boating Company/Pedro's water points (I think there were at least two) were a useful extra option.

• Like 1

I'm sure I'm right but isn't that sign in richardsons corporate colours. Quick question to those that know. But will Richardson's still have to pay some form of business rates on this site even if its un occupied ?? It would be good to see the whole section of the bank at acle redeveloped. Maybe bridgecraft could purchase it and redevelope there site as well. Sadly there yards looks a little rundown. 

32 minutes ago, andyg said:

Quick question to those that know. But will Richardson's still have to pay some form of business rates on this site even if its un occupied ??

It depends largely on whether they still own  or lease the site, but someone would still have to pay business rates. Unoccupied business premises are still liable to business rates, which would be paid either by the freeholder, or alternatively by the leaseholder if they have been leased out.

It is one of the reasons why one of the first things developers will do if they are planning to redevelop a site is to clear it. Generally they do not need planning permission to demolish a commercial building and they stop paying business rates. They can then take their time seeking planning permission for whatever they intend to build and the pressure is on the local authority to encourage redevelopment to get some form of revenue coming back in either in the form of council tax or business rates.

Fortunately for the pub goers amongst us, May 23rd 2017 is an important date when the law was changed to protect pubs. You now need planning permission to demolish a pub or change it's use to another class of business premises such as a Maccy D's or convenience store. This helped to stop the indiscriminate purchase of pubs by developers who would demolish them and then worry about how they were going to develop the site. It doesn't mean that pubs cannot be redeveloped, but it is a more costly process and subject to a lot more scrutiny. It can also be very costly to ignore the law as CTLX found out when they ordered the demolition of The Carlton Tavern in West London. They were hit with an order to do a brick by brick rebuild of the pub which saw it reopen again in April 2021.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Bikertov said:

Cash only- someone is not declaring it :default_shocked1animated:

More like card machines won't work there reliably, it's low probably no signal half the time, and you'd have to pay for phone charges to use one.. 

• Like 1

Oh, I'm feeling my age again.

I remember when the whole river bank north of Acle Bridge was just a grass covered rhond bank, like so many others on the Broads, before the term "wild mooring" had ever been invented.  It was a normal mooring.  It was what your rhond hooks are for!

Do people really expect to stand on a riverbank in the middle of the Acle marshes and pay a few Quid by credit card?  Surely on a boating holiday, you carry enough cash with you for everyday eventualities.

Never mind, as my daughter would say - "Shut up Dad!"

• Like 10

2 hours ago, Vaughan said:

Do people really expect to stand on a riverbank in the middle of the Acle marshes and pay a few Quid by credit card?  Surely on a boating holiday, you carry enough cash with you for everyday eventualities.

I think a lot of folk no longer carry cash as the result of the pandemic.  It may have been different in France, but retailers over here didn’t want dirty money, probably through fear of contracting the virus and would only accept card payments.  I know that I rarely have cash in my pocket now . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Although, thinking about it, I own a boat, so rarely have money, never mind cash!! :default_coat:

• Haha 7

Even our vending machines at work take card or Apple Pay. 
To be honest, with no minimum payment and a high maximum, even your phone and watch has the ability to make payments cash lives in my wallet gathering dust. 
But knowing how rubbish internet connection is on the Broads, cash is king for on bank payment 

At least we don't get the problem of not being able to park because it only allows the use of a certain app, and there's not even an alternative phone number to contact.

Locally councils are going to parking apps, forgetting that not everyone has a smartphone.

If I did have a smart phone it would never be linked to my bank account anyway 

• Like 1

Last couple of times I moored at Salhouse I have paid by card. Very convenient and saves having to be constantly looking for cashpoints, which are being removed left right and centre. No doubt also from the land owner's point of view, they reduce the risk of pilfering by those sent to collect the fees - not that this would ever happen.

• Haha 1

Normally I carry hardly any cash but when on the Broads I make sure I have enough for mooring fees. If fee collectors can carry card machines then all well and good but I don't expect them to. There are a few situations in life cash is still the most convenient and mooring fees is one of them.

• Like 3

Do they take groats? I think I have a few in my wallet. In amongst the farthings, coppers, thrupenny bits, tanners, bobs, half crowns, ten bob notes and white fivers. Admit it, youngsters - you know not of what I speak!!!

• Haha 2

When I worked in an office with a bunch of 30 somethings before the pandemic, one of them would pay for lunch to be delivered via Just Eat, then the others would ask, "How much shall I Monzo yer?".

Covent Garden street performers and market traders take card payments.

A young mum who works with Mrs Raser says kiddies ride machines now take card payments.

I've seen young type people waving their phones at things to make payments. I have a job to use mine to call someone.

But this is the Broads and thankfully, includes parts of the back of beyond. This is why Her Majesty invented waterproof money, just in case you fall overboard when asked for money. 

How much for mooring? Splash!

How much for a pint of milk at Roys? Splash!

:default_hiding:

• Haha 2