Hm Queen Elizabeth.

ExSurveyor

2 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

why wouldn’t she?

Thankfully we are now more enlightened.

The Princess Royal has exemplified a fine example of a daughters special bond with her mother, often undertaken by so many without recognition.

The people of Scotland have certainly done The Queen of Scots proud.

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

• Like 6

Just watched on TV the cortège make it's way from Buckingham Palace to Westminster Hall.

Very moving, and another impeccable and dignified ceremony.

Our military in particular showing perfectly how to honour our late Queen - their "Boss" as many of you ex-servicemen affectionately, yet respectfully, called her.

I note from the BBC commentator how some of the Grenadier Guards have only in the last few days returned from active duty in Iraq. A reminder that they are not just ceremonial soldiers, but served Queen and country, and of course now serve King and country to keep us all safe and free.

• Like 7

34 minutes ago, Bikertov said:

Absolutely, brought a lump to my throat. So pleased the Royal family got some private time with their Mum, Grandmother and Great Grandmother at Buckingham Palace last night. She was everyone's Queen and 'Boss' but a Mother above all else. It must be difficult to grieve so publically, I would imagine last night was very precious to them.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Bikertov said:

I note from the BBC commentator how some of the Grenadier Guards have only in the last few days returned from active duty in Iraq. A reminder that they are not just ceremonial soldiers, but served Queen and country, and of course

Quite

Just as during the Falklands The Welsh Guards were not at top performance due to just returning from ceremonies duties.

They are not all about B**"***t and bearskins. They are actually elite Infantry.

Same as the cavalry regiment. They are actually tank drivers when not on horseback for ceremonies duties.

1 hour ago, Andrewcook said:

As a Mark of respect for Monday 19th, September will all Boat Yards shut for that day but still do any Emergency on Boats that are Hired out except Day Boats for that Day

I think a few are suspending day boats but Monday is a turnaround day for cruiser hire, I suspect they will continue as normal.

Southampton Boatshow is closing on the Monday, myself and a few others live too far away to make it viable to return home so we’re just staying in the hotel.  Show organisers are sorting a large screen / refreshments for those of us stuck here.

• Like 1

Right. 

Ok I admit it

I Have surprised mysen no end. Go t foot of our stairs and chuck my steaming bats down the main drag. 

Why? Getting emotional over the loss of our Queen. Of course like millions I didn’t really know her but I feel like I did. I was extremely lucky to have met the awesome Lady twice, feel so privileged of those meetings

I’m gonna need a box of man sized come Monday

Must be an age thing

Griff

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Hylander said:

I assume that some things will have to carry on ie other folks funerals and operations for the sick.   You just cannot cancel everything, but where you can as a show of respect it is so good to see.

Unfortunately there does appear to be cases where funerals and health appointments have been rescheduled.... I'm not sure HM would have approved but I appreciate it is a tough call for those responsible for these decisions.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but I have read a few managers in this difficult position wishing that a weekend funeral could have been arranged.

On 14/09/2022 at 16:12, Bikertov said:

Just watched on TV the cortège make it's way from Buckingham Palace to Westminster Hall.

Our military in particular showing perfectly how to honour our late Queen - their "Boss" as many of you ex-servicemen affectionately, yet respectfully, called her.

I note from the BBC commentator how some of the Grenadier Guards have only in the last few days returned from active duty in Iraq. A reminder that they are not just ceremonial soldiers, but served Queen and country, and of course now serve King and country to keep us all safe and free.

They were brought back Friday especially for ceremonial duty. No doubt Tues they will be heading back. 

• Like 1

Talking to a couple of friends - we are thinking of going to see the Lying in State.

With the long queues, we reckon getting there at around 02:00 tomorrow morning is the best plan.

Not sure if I am mad, but want to walk past and pay my respects, and be a small part of this major historical event in person, and not just watch it all on TV.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Shown just now and a few times during  the day.David Beckham joining the queue and waiting 12 hours to pay he's respects to the Queen.Nice to see.I've noticed there has been a lack of bowing and curtsying by some officials,meeting the King.Today in Wales there was only one woman who did so.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

Shown just now and a few times during  the day.David Beckham joining the queue and waiting 12 hours to pay he's respects to the Queen.Nice to see.I've noticed there has been a lack of bowing and curtsying by some officials,meeting the King.Today in Wales there was only one woman who did so.

Fair play to Beckham .. 👍👍just watched him .. 

The king is quite laid back at the moment I think he has to much going on in his head to worry about the protocol.. Saying that when I bumped into him 2 1/2 weeks ago he was laid back then . A very helpful Prince then he was. Nice bloke 👍👍 I mean king 🤴🤣🤣

• Like 2

As far as half mast flags are concerned so far I've seen mostly badly done affairs,  the worst is at reedham with a union flag exactly halfway up and a Ukraine flag at the top!

I initially took my ensign down as can't be half masted but after seeing so many badly wrong spotted the black ribbon lanyard on the monocular and promptly fashioned a cravat and put it back out.

To the properly done ones I say we'll done, if you're gonna have a flagpole at least use it properly. 

Just wish someone would fly the tide at half mast today, it's been well over predicted levels, good old northerlies!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

coronation.thumb.jpeg.7475bf8ecd17063a99c22d399009a5f6.jpeg

I have been looking for this for a couple of days. I knew I had it somewhere!

Right to left here in 1953 are my mother, grandmother, aunt , and my cousin, restraining me from galloping off.

We must have got there pretty early as I remember the huge crowds and the steady rain, all through the procession. I hope she gets better weather on Monday but if not, it didn't matter at all then, so it won't matter now.

• Like 9