Silverline Announcement

Davydine

6 minutes ago, FlyingFortress said:

There does seem to be a bit of a shortage in that section of The Yare.

Exactly.  Every time a business like this ceases its activity, it is another nail in the coffin of Broads tourism.

Whether you are cruising on hire or privately, the whole area relies on business infrastructure.  The BA are not going to pump out your toilets or fill your diesel tank, no matter what they may charge in future river tolls.

I fear that cruising - and mooring - on the Broads is in danger of great change in future years.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, FlyingFortress said:

I suppose the only good thing to come from this is there may be another facility for Diesel and Pump Out in the area as an alternative to the other one.

There does seem to be a bit of a shortage in that section of The Yare.

Silverline were not available for this last season when we called them to enquire.

Does anyone know if this will be the case or not?

Hi Rod

There is a diesel, pump out and water facility next door to Silverline at Shadow Boats (aka Swancraft), which we have often used when on the south broads. Our boat was built there. Best to phone in advance though.

• Thanks 1

That’s a real shame for the southern broads I can remember Brundall with the following hire yards up the same dyke as silver line 

Alexander cruisers 

bounty boats

swan craft 

silver line 

harbour cruisers 

alpha craft 

fen craft

fresh water cruisers 

willow cruisers 

vIP Harvey Eastwood 

and brooms 

they were the yard hiring from Brundall in the late 80s/ early 90s 

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

5 hours ago, PaulN said:

Hi Rod

There is a diesel, pump out and water facility next door to Silverline at Shadow Boats (aka Swancraft), which we have often used when on the south broads. Our boat was built there. Best to phone in advance though.

Thanks Paul.

Never thought of those 😥

Ours was built down that dyke as well. But not at Shadow.

5 hours ago, Vaughan said:

Exactly.  Every time a business like this ceases its activity, it is another nail in the coffin of Broads tourism.

Whether you are cruising on hire or privately, the whole area relies on business infrastructure.  The BA are not going to pump out your toilets or fill your diesel tank, no matter what they may charge in future river tolls.

I fear that cruising - and mooring - on the Broads is in danger of great change in future years.

All I can say is I sincerely hope your fears are not realized 😥

Other than that I totally agree with you.

Oh and while I think about it do they still pretend to do pump outs at Norwich Yacht Station? 

28 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

Try Horning Pleasurecraft.  Clive’s boats are well looked after and look very smart.

We always stay south Due to the locations where we stay and go. Would be great if Clive opened a southern yard..

Hoseasons phoned us at 8.55pm we was one of the 300 customers they had to call and tell us that Richardson’s have bought the fleet of boats and our holiday will still be the same but have to run from North.. No disrespect to Richardsons but the standard of silverline boats can not be beaten. So we are having a refund and having a good think what do.. As now the southern yards are very limited now..

I’m quite shocked really this has happened. I would personally thought it would have stayed on in the family as they had a great fleet of boats at a very high standard fantastic service and returning customers year in year out. See you never know what happens. Looks like my 2023 season will have to go on hold until 2024 now what’s an absolute shame. Totally Gutted.. 🥲🥲

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

B**g*r. Having really enjoyed Silver Mirage this year I have Silver Mystique booked for next summer. The standard of maintenance and improvement of older craft like Mirage is exceptional. This is a very sad loss. 

I haven't had official notification from Hoseasons yet and I don't know whether to stick to Mystique or switch elsewhere.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ScrumpyCheddar said:

would personally thought it would have stayed on in the family

with the son having won a big order to build boats for Richardsons, and the parents presumably retiring (or reducing their duties to just the land based accommodation), there was presumably nobody left with the time to run the busy hire fleet, thats how i see the announcement anyway.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bernard said:

Here they are.

Thank you very much, Bernard, for taking and posting that video.  I had not realised that Silverline had so many boats in their fleet.

I can assure everyone (personally!) that it takes a great deal of physical effort, application and pride, to keep the hulls looking as good as that all through  a busy season.  A great credit to them and at least they went out in a blaze of glory.

As Ian says, a very sad loss for the south rivers.

• Like 7