What Can I Plug In?

Broads01

If plugging in to a socket and using an inverter as opposed to shore power only use low powered items , never heaters or such like , on shore power you can use heaters , hair driers , hair straighteners etc .

Microwaves are ok on most inverters , but it is recommended to only use on an inverter whilst the engine is running.

All the above is obviously subject to the power output of your inverter .

Remember that shore power circuit breakers are max 16amp 

Should all be rated for 16A at least, look in the boats breaker box(likely a consumer unit) to see what individual circuits are protected to by what is on the MCB's, it you overload someting will trip out first (in theory).

For individual appliances W=AxV to give amps, most are rated in watts.

Just to clarify, I'm aware that when not on hook up it's low power only, it's when on hook up I'm wondering how much does it give you. So, if my wife decides to bring hair dryer, toaster, power tools electric lawnmower.. well maybe not the last two but you get what I'm trying to ask.

Most hairdryers nowadays are in the 2000 t0 3000 watt range so 8.3 to 12.5 Amps draw. So with a 3000 watt one it would only run that and a few lights on 16amps.

Remember 16 Amps is the trip not a target best to keep to about 13 Amps.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I believe the theoretical maximum from a 16a hook up is 3850 watts.

However, not all hookups achieve a full 240v (remember it's 220 - 240v) and by the time you get a nice long shore power lead involved it could be even less! 

As Nigel says, aim for 2500/3000 watts max (about 13a) and there shouldn't be any resetting the trip in the dark in your pyjamas!

• Thanks 1

I think you will find (and Grendel may correct me if I am wrong) that UK power is no longer 240V but is now generated at a mean voltage of 230V, (+10% / - 6%) and has been since harmonisation with the EU in Jan 2003. That is before transmission losses.

So a 16A feed will give you a max power draw of 3680W (3.68KW)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Bikertov said:

If you use an inverter, you should look for one that is "pure sine wave", as opposed to "modified sine wave", as without getting technical, it is kinder to sensitive electronics.

As I found out to my cost when we first bought into the MS syndicate.  Our o.d inverter was a modified sine wave model and in a week we destroyed two phone chargers, a Fitbit charger and a 24” led TV (that was ours, but easier to watch than the antiquated tv on the boat).

Thankfully, Moonlight Shadow is now fitted with a Victron Pure Sine Wave inverter.

BA Pillars have 2 x 16a + 1 x 32a but they were for charging the electric boats they were expecting 20 years ago Many private craft have a 32a adaptor for use if the 16a's are both in use but all down to the boats equipment how much you can use (and if the cable will allow more power through)

• Thanks 1

Has anyone bought or used any of the "Portable power stations" that are on the market these days? The offerings from Ecoflow, Jackery, Poweroak and Bluetti look to be popular. 

I`ve just purchased an Ecoflow Delta Max that works the microwave, slow cooker, air fryer etc. I`ve used it in my caravan but not yet a boat. Has anyone got experience of using them afloat.

Paul

I have a 650W one from energizer, i used it on the boat this year and basically with the 100W solar panel it never got below 78%, and I was using it for all my laptop, dvd player, phone charging etc, I have also used it at home to charge my cordless tool batteries. the only thing I will say, is secure your solar panel to the boat - they dont float, and the wind will catch them, just at the wrong time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 26/11/2022 at 13:14, Broads01 said:

Just to clarify, I'm aware that when not on hook up it's low power only, it's when on hook up I'm wondering how much does it give you. So, if my wife decides to bring hair dryer, toaster, power tools electric lawnmower.. well maybe not the last two but you get what I'm trying to ask.

Whatever she brings, you'll be safe! For convenience though, I reckon you'll be all right if you only use one item at once. So if you boil the kettle while she's drying her hair, it could suddenly go quiet and dark if you had the lights on too. They'll surely be a circuit breaker on the post as well as the ones on the boat. 

Watch out for a new type of hook up I experienced on a campsite this year (unless these are already standard?): there is a lever that secures the plug in the socket which also makes the circuit. I hadn't noticed and just pushed the plug in as normal, then wondered why the kettle wouldn't boil. We were resigned to buying a new kettle before noticing nothing else electrical worked either.

• Like 1

Similar situation for camping / caravanning, we have lower wattage kettle / toaster / hair dryer that we keep in the caravan, they take slightly longer, but less likely to overload the electrics on the camp site.

If I owned my own boat, I would probably do the same thing.

Edited by Davydine
Added more info.

12 hours ago, floydraser said:

Whatever she brings, you'll be safe! For convenience though, I reckon you'll be all right if you only use one item at once. So if you boil the kettle while she's drying her hair, it could suddenly go quiet and dark if you had the lights on too. They'll surely be a circuit breaker on the post as well as the ones on the boat. 

Watch out for a new type of hook up I experienced on a campsite this year (unless these are already standard?): there is a lever that secures the plug in the socket which also makes the circuit. I hadn't noticed and just pushed the plug in as normal, then wondered why the kettle wouldn't boil. We were resigned to buying a new kettle before noticing nothing else electrical worked either.

That's helpful thank you and of course I was forgetting that the worst that can happen if you get it wrong is it trips out. The hire boats I've had have always had gas kettles so at least they're out of the equation. I remember years ago they always had gas fridges. Maybe they should come back! I don't think a gas microwave would work very well though😀

• Like 1

On 26/11/2022 at 14:18, CambridgeCabby said:

We can run our radiator on 1000w and the immersion heater and kettle at the same time with a few lights on (they are LED lights) no problems but tend not to run the immersion and radiator on full at the same time 

What is the wattage of your kettle?

26 minutes ago, CambridgeCabby said:

It’s a small kettle which is rated at 300w , our inverter is 2kw so we could have got a higher rated kettle but this one works just fine for us 

That is very low power indeed - how long does it take to boil ?

A quick search on the interweb shows up a number of travel kettles, including branded ones, that are around 600-1000W (0.6-1kW, 2.5-4.5A current draw), which I would have though would be OK for the majority of inverters and shore hook-ups