Ranworth Update

CambridgeCabby

32 minutes ago, Meantime said:

I would point to the sign that says 24hr mooring. Maximum stay 24hrs.

So, like I asked the other day - they are imposing TWO charges (i.e. 15 quid!) if you wish to stay for the maximum of 24 hrs!!! They refer to an "overnight" charge of £10 up until 1000 hrs and then a fiver for after that time!! Ergo - you arrive at let's say 1500 hrs and you don't want to leave until after lunch the following day - that's going to cost you £15!! What a rip off :default_ohmy::default_icon_evil:

Chris

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

Like  Meantime.I would point out we've  paid for 24 hours.

It's a play on the wording on the sign. MAXIMUM stay is 24 hrs but there are two charges - one for overnight and one for the daytime - biggest con going in my view!!

Chris

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, CeePee1952 said:

It's a play on the wording on the sign. MAXIMUM stay is 24 hrs but there are two charges - one for overnight and one for the daytime - biggest con going in my view!!

Chris

So true, but at least Ranworth isn't tidal, unlike Yarmouth yacht station where the same rigid pricing structure encourages people to depart by 10am or face a daytime charge, never mind whether they are facing into or with a strong current. Tides don't understand the 24hr clock or the BA's pricing policy.

• Like 2

I always thought that as long as you don’t leave your boat you can moor at Yarmouth without charge if waiting for the tide/bridge clearance. We need minimum 8ft and I wouldn’t push my luck in Yarmouth. We do here at Thorpe because we’ve passed under many times.

Colin:default_smiley-char054:

1 hour ago, CeePee1952 said:

So, like I asked the other day - they are imposing TWO charges (i.e. 15 quid!) if you wish to stay for the maximum of 24 hrs!!! They refer to an "overnight" charge of £10 up until 1000 hrs and then a fiver for after that time!! Ergo - you arrive at let's say 1500 hrs and you don't want to leave until after lunch the following day - that's going to cost you £15!! What a rip off :default_ohmy::default_icon_evil:

Chris

Er - think I got my sums wrong in the example I did above!!  If BA want to be pedantic, then for the period that I quoted it would cost you £20!! Even more of a rip off!!

Chris

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CeePee1952 said:

Er - think I got my sums wrong in the example I did above!!  If BA want to be pedantic, then for the period that I quoted it would cost you £20!! Even more of a rip off!!

Chris

Having spoken to the mooring attendant , the £10 fee is from any time from 10:00 am onward until 10:00 am the following morning , if you stay beyond the 10:00 am cutoff then a further £5 is payable , ie a total of £15 for the 24 hrs , beyond 24hrs is not permitted 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Islander said:

I always thought that as long as you don’t leave your boat you can moor at Yarmouth without charge if waiting for the tide/bridge clearance. We need minimum 8ft and I wouldn’t push my luck in Yarmouth. We do here at Thorpe because we’ve passed under many times.

Colin:default_smiley-char054:

I believe , you will find that you are permitted to tie up and await change of tide without payment , and yes you are expected to remain on your vessel .

The option here is don`t visit the Information Office and don`t pay.

A  There is no penalty charge posted or enforceable for non payment of an unlawful charge.

B  As long as you don`t overstay the 24 hours there is no breach of the Byelaws.

C  This was the the basis on why the charge was rejected at Reedham previously which the BA are fullly aware of and still applies, 

In 1916 "Mr.William Mckenzie K.C. opined that the B.& F.R.D.C. could be considered as the owners BUT (and I quote): 

"It appears that charges or tolls can only be made where they have been customarily paid for a period of years, so as to show that the quays are not public quays." (Staithe)
It seems clear that if they are public quays, the public are entitled to use them free of charge. The council appears to have treated both quays as public ones.

D  The definition of a Staithe from the Broads Act 1988 section IV  which applies to all BA controlled moorings 

“staithe” means any land which is adjacent to a waterway and which the inhabitants of the locality are entitled to use as a landing place;.

Anyone who wants can print this and may if approached for payment use it, you could also point out that attempting to solicit payment could be deemed committing the offence of fraud by misrepresentation.

Fred

• Like 6

Is there a chance of fees at Ranworth  and Reedham  be overturned? There is no doubt  many disagree  with charges but will it  in the end be accepted  by most? In my opinion  if all groups  that represents many concerned  with boating combined then perhaps could put pressure  on BA to overturn fees ?

28 minutes ago, rightsaidfred said:

"It appears that charges or tolls can only be made where they have been customarily paid for a period of years, so as to show that the quays are not public quays." (Staithe)

In the case of Ranworth, the lease of the Malsters' Quay was held by Blakes ever since the late 40s and no charge was ever made.

I also notice this stuff about "parishioners".  This will be because part of the quay is also the parish staithe.  Which part, has become obscure by the sound of it!

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, rightsaidfred said:

Is the key word here "customarily". Sure, the BA don't have a leg to stand on now but - how long do they need to charge a fee (legitimately or otherwise) before they can claim it is now a custom?

9 minutes ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

Is there a chance of fees at Ranworth  and Reedham  be overturned? There is no doubt  many disagree  with charges but will it  in the end be accepted  by most? In my opinion  if all groups  that represents many concerned  with boating combined then perhaps could put pressure  on BA to overturn fees ?

I believe the Reedham charge is not in place as the BA do not currently have a lease there, a number of people including MPs and the Under Secretary of State are looking to the whole of the BA actions at the moment and all things are possible.

Fred

• Like 2

On 31/03/2023 at 19:39, FlyingFortress said:

Where next, probably some kind of CO2 carbon offset charge whilst cruising……. Knowing the current BA.

How about a congestion charge on the Ant?  With a camera gantry at Ludham Bridge, like the Dartford Crossing?

Or a pollution charge, because your classic boat with its BMC or Perkins diesel doesn't have enough "neutrality" to suit the New Green Agenda?

Everything will be possible, in this mercenary new world that we are entering.  I predict a recession on the Broads and it will probably be a big one, if this madness is not stopped now.

• Like 10

My friend is  parishioner of Ranworth and Woodbastwick and it would seem that he is entitled to moor at Ranworth Staithe free of charge.

He does not own a boat but has use of a boat. Mine.

He has very kindly offered me his space, to which he is entitled. I presume that as a parishioner the 24  hour rule does not apply.

Tootle Pip!.....trot on!

• Like 6

So is there a ranger assisting people to moor or are they just directing people on where to pay?  I still dont get how you can assist stern on mooring. By the time you are at a range to take the ropes, you are already basically in and have the time to get off and do it yourself.    Im curious as we only stern on moor in our marina as we dont like sardine situations.  All these years and its never been needed before. Has there been a health and safety incident thats triggered the need for this.  Sorry if these questions have already been answered somewhere else.

• Like 3

It’s just gonna stop people coming to the broads at this rate with these hidden charges. I for one wouldn’t pay it. The hire yards have increased so paying extra for Moorings on a mooring what has been free is an absolute insult and rip off.. If anymore stupid increases like these happen on other moorings Will definitely be the final nail in the coffin for lots of hirers and boaters who enjoy the broads..  it’s really making me think is it worth going. You need holidays to enjoy not going away and being ripped off. That’s my opinion on the situation on it 

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, Lulu said:

So is there a ranger assisting people to moor or are they just directing people on where to pay?  I still dont get how you can assist stern on mooring. By the time you are at a range to take the ropes, you are already basically in and have the time to get off and do it yourself.    Im curious as we only stern on moor in our marina as we dont like sardine situations.  All these years and its never been needed before. Has there been a health and safety incident thats triggered the need for this.  Sorry if these questions have already been answered somewhere else.

Moored many times at Oulton. They are very helpful. Gus New Inn now  Ferry at Horning.Will the service  be as good at Ranworth?.Moored at Reedham  a number of times,often the BA chap seats and watches.Not always  helpful. 

• Like 2

Couldn't agree more about Gus. The guys are OBYS are fantastic, really helpful to us especially in winter. 

The Reedham ones vary. We got a real jobsworth a couple of years ago. Couldn't do anything right in his eyes. Generally though, if they can see you know what you're doing (ish) they tend to leave you alone or wander by for a chat. No problem with that. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, NorfolkNog said:

Couldn't agree more about Gus. The guys are OBYS are fantastic, really helpful to us especially in winter. 

The Reedham ones vary. We got a real jobsworth a couple of years ago. Couldn't do anything right in his eyes. Generally though, if they can see you know what you're doing (ish) they tend to leave you alone or wander by for a chat. No problem with that. 

A well know member on here with more year’s experience than I care to remember was ask at Ranworth by the Ranger last year if he was a first timer as he could hear the engine revving. The fact he didn’t touch the throttle and was being pulled in on the ropes was laughable. 

• Like 1