How was your Christmas?

ranworthbreeze

Our Christmas Day was a quiet family day. Tan & I were up not too early, Christmas Dinner was going to be late afternoon so no need for turning the oven on at the crack of dawn.

Tan was hungry so we had breakfast by eight o clock, Michael managed to get up before ten because Stuart & Joanne were calling in to open presents. Several packets of toffees later and everyone doing well with silly toys, puzzles and chocolate pennies in their stockings and tales of Christmases past it was back to the three of us.

Apron on and into the kitchen, pots washed and prep with the meat and veg, made homemade bread sauce for Tan.

After the Christmas fair it was down to relaxing watching one of the new DVD's and a glass of the sparkling stuff.

Today is going to be a buffet for family & friends so it is back in kitchen again this morning to finish off cakes and savouries ready for this afternoon.

So how was your Christmas?

Regards

Alan 

• Like 3

A lovely day here, Team Brilliant together for the day, the non-boating section up in The Very far North with Scottish Granny and Co.

After an early morning service, Phill and I got home to find the others just surfacing. Buck's Fizz and Brunch followed by prezzies and a FaceTime from Scotland, all in great form up there.

TV and choccies and good company, pottering in the kitchen for dinner at 5 with all the trimmings. Strictly, strictly, Dr Who, and the Royal Ballet, mulled wine and cheeses for supper. awesome!

My appreciation to the TIVO box, M&S and the dishwasher for sterling contributions to the day! :)

We are thinking a quiet Boxing Day, and expecting 8 tomorrow which will be lovely. I do like Christmas.

It was a good Christmas Day. Mrs Wussername pulled out all the stops for a great traditional Christmas meal.

I was in charge of pulling corks.

The family plus grandchildren, with Grandma in tow arrived on time. Funny that, they are never late on Christmas Day.

Granny Wussername continued to hyperventilate over a hot oven.

Son in law hoed into one of my finest clarets. (Like giving a cow a strawberry!)

Everybody had a great heap of presents under the tree.

Grandad Wussername (that would be me then!), once again, had the smallest heap.

Then joy of joy's. The grandchildren were given the task of giving out the gifts.

At four and seven a bit of a lottery as to who got what, however sorted in the end.

At least I didn't get suspenders this year!

It didn't take long for me to open my few gifts so it was agreed that I could open the dogs presents.

The Christmas meal was superb, as ever.

Then, for some unknown reason, everybody decided to go for a walk. What's that all about I ask?

Me I have a Serengeti Christmas.

What's that you may well ask?

What does the lion do after he has had a good nosh? Go for a run round the reserve? Does he heck as much.

Under a tree for forty winks.

And that me shipmates is what Grandad Wussername does.

When they get back, covered in mud, drinks and games and the grandchildren have a couple of squabbles.

Then more food and drink.

And then like a sudden squall, it is all over. I can hear them walking home down the road singing " for he's a jolly good fellow". And so they might.

They have drunk all me drink. Scoffed all me grub, and the Grandchildren devoured me best present.............a large box of jelly babies.

But I would not have missed it for the world

Old Wussername

• Like 7

Well, 

I had a lovely day being spoiled by two ladies, SWMBO and her sister. Many highlights on TV for me, I loved watching Kiss me Kate from the Albert Hall, wonderful show. Captain Philips too was good and The Monuments Men. Oh yes the wonders of On Demand TV, how Christmas TV watching has changed! I hope you all refrain from over indulgance today :norty:  As we say up here, it will soon be back to wurkin claes n purridge soon! :naughty:

Happy Boxing Day xmas2

xmas6 Iain.

• Like 3

First Christmas with my Mum in 14 years .......she live abroad ...........so Christmas day has been extended till the 5th of January

And then we will start on the new year "....................which could end sometime in February

Have a good time people

finny

• Like 4

Christmas day was a slow family affair for the Speedtriple household, with yours truly doing the cooking, and washing up. Karen was full of cold, like many others, so i let her take it easy. Up at 9, customary hot sausage rolls for breakfast, and pressies open by 10.30. Cooking commenced, and Karen mum and dad arrived at 11.45, Dinner was served about 1.30, and all enjoyed my cooking. It`s good to know i have`nt given anybody food poisening. The customary cold meat and pickles was had at 6ish, which everybody enjoyed, and was rounded off with some more tv. It seemed all i did yesterday was cook, eat, and sleep, which was great.

Merry Christmas all.

• Like 2

It was a very good day,Alan and Dave came round for lunch lots of presents,including The pub signs of the broads that many of you were aware of,I know who you are.Still it was very nice to get them from Alan.Tomorrow we are popping up to see the boat and hopefully to have a spot of lunch.

Wishing you all a Happy new year :party1:

• Like 1

Still going on here.  Christmas day was quiet with just one daughter home, a light lunch and a long walk in the sunshine on Hythe seafront. Boxing day was busier with both daughters, partners and children home. Lots to eat and drink, games and telly. Likely to continue for the next 3-4 days, then hopefully peace will reign once more. Daughter 2 has brought the chest bug from Reading, so no doubt we will be treated to that pleasure soon.

cheersbar

Steve

• Like 1

We had a fantastic day. Deb worked morning and evening but was home for Christmas dinner, cooked by yours truly.

I have 3 lovely daughters from a previous marriage who all came for Christmas Day. It was so nice to have all of them together again at the same time. Aged 19, 21 and 23 they are all doing their own things these days and generally only contact Dad when they want something ;).

Santa was very generous to all and we all sat down to a lovely Christmas dinner. To sum up the day - great fun, great food and a loving and caring family all together. The perfect Christmas in my eyes :)

cheers

Steve

• Like 7

We have had a lovely Christmas, thank you for asking Alan. Just like Steve0 still going on here. Our relatives are staying until Monday so still eating and drinking far too much, after dinner today it's Trivial Pursuit and beer, Mr Nog is rubbing off on me Lol

Nice to read Finny spending Christmas with his mum for the first time in 14 years, good luck to you, hope you and your mum are having a lovely time, if you're celebrating until February your new name should be hungoverfin :naughty:

Grace

• Like 3

Strange thing Christmas is.

We old curmudgeons grump about for the first three quarters of December all saying how terrible the shops are these days and how good Christmas used to be and the way it's all too commercialized today.

We moan about the carol singers not singing carols.

We moan about the January sales starting before Christmas day.

We moan about how few Christmas cards we receive these days (partly because we don't send any)

And we moan about the cost of postage. (even though we never send presents either).

Then suddenly there it is!

It's the 25th!

It's Christmas day!

And as if by magic we look around at all those lovely friendly happy people. All kissing each other and wishing each other a happy Christmas. Smiles and hugs everywhere. And that's when we realize. That's when we really know! It's worse than we ever imagined it could be, far worse than last year and it'll be even worse next year.

Happy new year everybody.

• Like 5

A good day was had by all on Boxing day, after it started snowing my mate Chris decided to take his car home and walk back, it was a wise idea Stuart left his car at the top of the drive (I had to move it this morning) in order to take Michael to work this morning his car can not cope in the snow.

We had a pleasant day, sadly two of our guests could not get to us and I over catered, the best received items were the cheese scones, Mary Berry's white chocolate & ginger cheesecake, here's a link to the recipe

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/marys_white_chocolate_55940

Best of all were the cheese tartlets that I made of puff pastry, this recipe is one of mine.

Puff pastry rolled thin (about 2 to 3mm) cut out like mince pie cases into a well greased tin,

Grated cheese

Salt

Pepper

Mustard

Egg

Beat up a egg adding 1/2 teaspoon of mustard (I use dried) add salt & pepper, add grated cheese (I used Sage Derby for some of the tarts and a combination of Cheddar, Edam & Cheshire for the others) .mix well.

Place the cheese/egg mixture (a good teaspoon) into each the bases and place into the middle of a oven at 180 degrees for around 20 minutes or the bases have risen and are golden brown.

Try the above you will not be disappointed.

Regards

Alan

• Like 2

Stortford was as ever before Christmas with every car park full but I did finally find a space and got what I needed to buy.

Christmas for both of us was a great day and a good chance to relax after a hectic work schedule led up to it. No worries about the boat this year as she is winterized and on hard stand this year.  First time out of the water since the year we bought her so the plan is to get a holiday let on the marina so we can give the hull a good polish plus anti foul.

• Like 1

It`s good to hear we`ve all had a good time. As for Karen and me, we`ve still got a week off due to the usual company Christmas shut down, so have several things planned, digging in the front garden maybe tomorrow, and family down for new year.

The one thing that was`nt so good was for the first time in over 30 years, i had to work on Christmas eve. Disappointing i know, as we always use Christmas eve to clean up, and get evrything prepared so we can sit down and relax in the evening and chill out ready for a busy Christmas day. This time, we were still preparing veg and other things late in the evening, but Christmas day went nice and smoothly.

I`m hoping that one year, we draw the Christmas week aboard Lightning, either that, or we`ll book a cottage for a week and have Christmas away sometime.

• Like 4

True to form, I succumbed to the "manflubola" that my daughter and grandson so thoughtfully brought with them. The symptoms proper started yesterday with a dry chesty cough, then I woke up this morning to the mother of all sore throats and painful sinusitis. As I write, I am now fully medicated with paracetamol and sudafed, which seem to be holding the worst of it at bay.

We had planned to travel up to Yorkshire on New Years Day to visit my family and then swing back via Norfolk to check up on our boat on the way home. However, my parents are elderly and my brother in law is diabetic and laid low by minor infections, so I fear that our plans may have been Kyboshed.

:cry:

Steve

lol she was funny though. her voice was just like someone treading on a cat  :naughty:  :naughty:

Christmas seems ages ago now (Although I've only this evening found time to make my sausage rolls).. We only had the one day off from work though (Work as in paid work and boat work) but we are getting lots done! We got lots of boat bits for xmas which is all good and some spending money for it! Sounds like eveyone else had an enjoyable conventional christmas lol

• Like 2