Broad Ambition - Underway on the H2O

24 minutes ago, Broads01 said:

Ooh er, wouldn't want to do that in a public place.

Thanks for the info on the Beauchamp, sounds encouraging and I wish them well. A coat of white paint over the blue would help enormously.

Might be more than one coat! But likewise wish them well

• Like 1

Tuesday 17th August Day 13 Continued

Loddon - the mornings fishing was pants. A cormorant got his head down on an inflatable next to us. We sailed in gentle rain, called in at the Beauchamp Arms as previously reported then onto Brundall and into Brundall Bay Mariner. 
This a very well kept venue with all facilities top class. Sadly no visiting craft moorings available. We got oursens sorted, got the rod out and it went bonkers, decent size continuously. Eventually had to stop as we walked round to The Yare pub for dinner (dog friendly)  - recommended. Back onboard, DVD and lights out

Griff

B024687D-1E44-4423-BA52-8D1EFA5ADA7B.jpeg

Definitely a cormorant 

Wednesday 18th August Day 14

Up at 0600, morning walk completed, overcast but dry with a cool breeze

I managed to cut my Stbd thumb yesterday morning on a aerated knife whilst washing up. It’s still sore this morning which means it’ll be a few days now before I tackle the FFD on the hob. 

The fishing is going great and I’m only playing at it with no ground bait or bait type changing. I was unimpressed on catching an eel, not had one in ages but was impressed when I managed to retrieve the hook and safely return it into the oggin, those of us that fish know only too well how awkward dealing with line caught eels can be

We sail soon for Norfolks Capital. It’s none too warm

Griff

B08401A9-B9AE-4703-B837-15A0150FAEEE.jpeg

image.jpg

• Like 8

What type of fishing are you doing Griff?

We've only ever fished twice before, always on waggler floats. Caught loads of (little) fish last year during our Broads holiday but couldn't figure out how to fish on the rivers with a flow.

We're coming back again this October, armed with 2 new rods, reels, lines, all sorts of tackle! Going to try the method feeder and maggot feeder, for the first time

750XL - mainly a float rod, larger float means I can add more shot weights so have better casting scope. I change depths on the float to suit, bait most times is maggot, one red one white. If that doesn’t produce then I’ll try worm, castor & sweetcorn, sometimes bread. Size 14 hook barbless of course. On faster flowing rivers then it’s leger rod. Hope this helps

Griff

• Like 1

Wednesday 18th continued

After a successful morning fishing I got tasked with a deep clean of interior decks and topped that off with breakfast for two. 

We sailed for Norwich it was a bit nippy but dry. We passed Water rail coming down river, exchanged hellos on a close pass. Into the capital & I was seeing a fair amount of craft moored on the Stbd bank well before the yacht station. That was a clear sign as the yacht station was rammed full. Come about and berthed just downstream of the footbridge with Peters Joy and then only just. 

Between us, three trips to Morrisons.  We sailed down river, stopped at Brundall Church Fen for Purdey and called in on Alan and Barry on Emily B. On we went on Rockland Staithe. I turned in the Broad then went up the Dyke to the moorings stern first in case it was full. This would save me turning and disturbing everyone so I could execute plan B to moor in the northern cut. 

as it turned out there was one space next to Peter’s Joy so we slotted straight in. Grendel later told me that a skipper on a hire boat had been giving free advice to previous craft arriving as how to berth as Broads boats can’t steer astern. Our arrival method put that theory in the box and shut the lid. He did later ask me how I did it, I told him I was having a lucky day

After dinner I went inbound Water Rail to visit Grendel, we then went into t pub as you do

The fishing was slow but did not blank. Purdey spent time on another boat with young children. Due to me n Grendel being in t pub, it was then back onboard and lights out

Griff

9192672D-2DE7-4746-B135-C5CC2A5567B5.jpeg

530A8802-5BC1-4692-A543-6D50AB8BAC40.jpeg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 3

You're a cheeky man Charlie Griffin, you know very well some boats do and some boats don't steer well in reverse. I describe steering as being able to move left or right depending on wheel position not just always going to the left.. lol. It's not that they don't steer at all, they're just rubbish at it to such a degree that it's not worth trying for some. Rudder size and location is very important and it's different in many woodies, well it is on ours and yours too.

That poor man will spend the rest of his holiday trying to make his rented boat go the direction he wants in reverse. Come to think of it that might be fun.. Maybe I'll just change my advice to "yes mate saw away at that wheel it always works for me" and go back inside.

Yes now I think about it well done that man .....

M  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Malanka said:

You're a cheeky man Charlie Griffin, you know very well some boats do and some boats don't steer well in reverse. I describe steering as being able to move left or right depending on wheel position not just always going to the left.. lol. It's not that they don't steer at all, they're just rubbish at it to such a degree that it's not worth trying for some. Rudder size and location is very important and it's different in many woodies, well it is on ours and yours too.

That poor man will spend the rest of his holiday trying to make his rented boat go the direction he wants in reverse. Come to think of it that might be fun.. Maybe I'll just change my advice to "yes mate saw away at that wheel it always works for me" and go back inside.

Yes now I think about it well done that man .....

M  

How the boat ballasting changes over the course of a week also makes a difference to steering in reverse. For the most part my boat will prop walk to Port in reverse. The foul tank in on the Port side, the diesel tank is on the Starboard side and the freshwater tank is midship, but mostly on the Port side. When the foul is empty, the diesel full and the water full it will reverse relatively straight and have some degree of steering. As the week does on and the foul tank fills and the diesel starts to empty then the prop walk to Port becomes more pronounced and steering in reverse just makes the prop walk more or less pronounced.

I remember a BA ranger trying to issue advice as I was stern mooring at Ranworth which I ignored because I knew my boat better than him, and how full the various tanks were.

It's not unusual for me to ask guests to move to the Starboard side when doing a stern on mooring to improve the steering. 

• Like 3

That poor man should have no problem as his boat has a  p u s s y  button :default_biggrin:

Of course I agree that some craft respond better than others due to rudder size / position etc. However to date I’ve not found one that wouldn’t respond to some degree or other. The Jewels at 46ft will do once there is some way occurring. Most times I just get lucky

Griff

• Like 2

Thursday 19th August Day 15

A lie in! Purdey dig left me to 0730. Fishing was very quiet. Sailed in company with Peters Joy, took it real steady but was still too early for tides at GYA so stopped at Polkeys Mill for an hour. Through Yarmouth then powered our way to Acle Bridge Inn. Grabbed a cheeky mooring overhanging their small cut. Hopefully we can dinner later despite them being fully booked as normal. Caught yet another eel but yet again got the hook out

Griff

0636F8BD-7FA7-4609-ACF5-8550AF289CDA.jpeg

FF493371-4037-443B-B10B-F764473B4328.jpeg

F6AD40EF-5370-491D-BCD7-63E82DCF56AB.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Love 1

Friday 20th August Day 16

Had dinner last night in t pub. Excellent food / service, dog friendly. Another five star rating once again 

Second lie in as Purdey left me till 0715.

Sailing preps no fishing this morning as we want to visit PH Latharms,  & the angling shop, top up FW too. A wild mooring with bbq beckons for this evening, either Fleet Dyke or the Ant

The weather yet again is below par. It’s overcast & cool. Huge difference from this time last year when we were being frazzled in a heatwave 

Griff

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 4