Uncle Albert, Very Poorly.

Timbo

Timbo,

I lost my Father 11 years ago this month, my best friend as well as my Father, I have read this thread and your descriptive talents of the "old stoker" are profound, I hope the few words below are of some help for the future.

When your father dies, you will grieve and then, one day you'll notice your grief has dried up. You may spend weeks with no conscious thought of the man who was once at the center of your universe. You will be relieved and your relief may feel like betrayal.

But every now and then, when the sky is a particular shade of blue, or you spot a man with a familiar build on the street, or you hear a certain word or phrase, you will feel a knot in your chest, and to no one in particular, you'll say, "Dad."

• Like 15

Thanks everyone for your kind thoughts. It really does give a lot of comfort.

The malarkey has not finished yet however. Following his visit to see his brother I was unable to contact Bill to update him on whats been happening. So I've been unable to settle through whittling after Bill.  Following some detective work on Facebook this morning I've managed to contact my cousin to find out that Bill is now in hospital with exactly the same symptoms as Uncle Albert. You couldn't bloody write this stuff!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Timbo said:

Thanks everyone for your kind thoughts. It really does give a lot of comfort.

The malarkey has not finished yet however. Following his visit to see his brother I was unable to contact Bill to update him on whats been happening. So I've been unable to settle through whittling after Bill.  Following some detective work on Facebook this morning I've managed to contact my cousin to find out that Bill is now in hospital with exactly the same symptoms as Uncle Albert. You couldn't bloody write this stuff!

Sorry the angst  is going on Tim let's hope for a  better outcome to Uncle Bill's predicament

Carole

My wifes Grandad passed quite a few years back around this time of year, He - like Uncle Albert was a strong willed man, and knew his time was near. From the day he went into the local 'old folks' hospital, he swore that he would not die there. (as in his words all the old folks who went there never came out again)

There were many close calls, but each time he pulled through. eventually there was nothing more that could be done and they discharged him to terminal care in a nursing home in the village where he was born. En route his ambulance skidded off the road on ice, and he had to wait in the cold nearly an hour before they could continue his journey (it was only 2 miles in total), yet he still carried on.

Safely ensconced in the nursing home he received visitors, all of his close family visited, and all his friends from the village. having done this he took a deep breath, sighed and was gone. He had left the hospital, said goodbye to all his friends and finally with everything done he allowed himself to slip peacefully away. he was in the nursing home just 2 days

I would like to think that Uncle Albert too made a decision to stop fighting the inevitable and stopped fighting in the knowledge of a life well spent helping others, not wishing to be a burden on others any more.

The sadness will fade with time, he will live on in your memories of the good times, in all the stories you have posted here, and all of those not yet told. things will happen that will remind you of him - always, just remember the good times and remember him with a smile.

• Like 11