So The Broads Are Boring!?!

JennyMorgan

So the Broads are boring, it says so in the EDP. Well, a very wise old lady once told me that only boring people find things to be boring and she was absolutely right. I can honestly say that in 70 years on the Broads I don't recollect ever being bored, even when boating along Oulton Dyke for the thousandth time!

http://www.lowestoftjournal.co.uk/news/whenever_i_m_on_the_norfolk_coast_and_it_s_a_bit_grim_i_console_myself_with_remembering_that_at_least_i_m_not_in_yarmouth_1_4842784

• Like 3

I'm frequently amazed at how little research people carry out either before or after booking what can be in many cases a very expensive holiday - and not just on the Broads.  It's no surprise that some are disappointed when they arrive at their destination, having done no investigation on line . Some of the questions that get asked on fora such as Trip Advisor along with some (Not the NBN I hasten to add! ) leave me wide eyed in amazement too. Have these people never heard of 'Google' ( Other search engines are available) where they would find their answer in moments ?

• Like 4

Out of curiosity I typed in the question 'is the Broads Boring?' on Google and this immediately came up: https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g186342-d208513-r296018712-The_Broads-Norwich_Norfolk_East_Anglia_England.html

For me, if I were to have taken that at its face value, then I would have missed so much. I have always maintained that Broads holidays are boating holidays, something of an adventure, and that boats are boats, not floating hotel rooms. 

• Like 9

I know we are all different and expect different things from a holiday, if I was to go on a beach holiday to Spain I would pretty much expect to be sunning myself on a beach or by the pool all day, a day taking in some culture, back to the hotel room for dinner and night time entertainment, no problem for people who like that sort of thing and jolly good luck to them but for me it would be a nightmare

In all the years I have been coming to the Broads both as a little girl and an adult I have never once been bored or wishing I was somewhere else. Every single day is different, you can sunbathe on a boat, you can enjoy a night in a pub or a club in Norwich or Yarmouth, fishing, cruising and just being with like minded people. You can hire an old classic, a flappy thing or a floating apartment, I know which I'd go for, there's so much to visit the Broads for, boring, you're having a laugh

I can be expecting a cheque in the post from the Broads Tourist Board any time soon, can I? :naughty:

Grace

:broadscot

• Like 8

What you don't say, Peter, is that only a very tiny percentage voted it Terrible.....

Just look at the vast majority who voted it Excellent or Very Good

Visitor rating
Excellent 559
Very good 152
Average 31
Poor  16
Terrible  36

That's just 5% who thought it Terrible and 2.25% who thought it Poor.

79% thought it Excellent and 23% Good........... I'd be pretty happy either of those figures myself!   :broadscot

• Like 4

3 hours ago, jeffbroadslover said:

I think that it would be quite safe to say that wherever you go there will have been improvements made in the last 125+ years.

And there are one or two on here that can remember back that far...

:6_smile::6_smile::hardhat:

• Like 1

I tried in vane to post this yesterday prior to everything going t.ts up so gave up, it is a bit late as I was responding to the first post.

Flaming cheek,  what a nerve .    and to quote "

“The Broads frankly is a very boring area. What anyone sees in those river holidays is completely beyond me. The camp site was cute but cramped, and as I said Lowestoft is a complete hole.”

I wonder what 'hole' he or she crawled out of to make that comment.

I am sure this post is going to come out three times.   I keep pressing submit reply and nowt happens.

• Like 2

Oh come off it folks, a broads holiday isn't to everyone's taste, and we should all hope that that ever remains the case. Imagine if a broads holiday took first place in a popularity race. Can you think what it would be like??? Bloody awful!!!

Ok, so some have said they didn't like it. NO PROBLEM. They say it's "boring" STILL NO PROBLEM.

I have never been to, nor will go to, Disneyland in USA or Europe so I can't give a review. Suffice to say I don't even like the concept, but many others do like it. NO PROBLEM.

Let freedom of choice and tolerance rule the day. I don't understand them, they don't understand me (but then few do :) ) ABSOLUTELY NO PROBLEM.

• Like 11

MM has nailed it! But what a good thing JM posted the topic, it's these sort of posts that give us something to chew over this time of year when it is fairly quiet. Thank goodness Broads boating is not to everybody's taste, there would never be sufficient BA Rangers to police the system! And how about moorings and rubbish disposal...................?!!

• Like 2

Re Lowestoft being a hole, the author of the Rubaiyat of Kyam, something Fitzgerald, a resident of Lowestoft, wrote disparaging comments about his home town. Benjamin Britten, the composer, lived next door to my mother, he too was far less than complimentary about Lowestoft and couldn't wait to move out. Another author, although a foreigner from Norfolk, apparently loved Oulton Broad but detested Lowestoft, that was George Borrow. Since their time nothing whatsoever has got any better, especially the traffic! P.S. I'm not sure that Borrow didn't have a point!

As for Great Yarmouth . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ask Poppy, he famously has lots of jokes about it!

• Like 1

I know!  How do we cope... all those boring birds to watch; that utterly boring scenery - not to mention the tedious sunrises and sunsets... Oh, and then those awful boring people you meet who want to share their wine and food with you on their boring boats... That boring silence on a boring wild mooring really gets me down... I really think people should just stay away and visit truly exciting places like Ibiza.

• Like 3

I like many here have visited  the broads many times.I first came up in the sixties.There is plenty  to satisfy  me.If you want wall to wall sun discos etc.You may not get that.I often say to people  that have never been,but would  like to .Book a day boat.Then if you enjoy it then book longer

• Like 1

An acquaintance of ours jetted off recently for six days in Venice. They lasted six hours and flew home never booking into the hotel claiming it was 'boring and full of old stuff'. I sadly shook my head and recommended a weekend break in Milton Keynes.

• Like 6

The most boring things I find when out on the Broads is those endless nights watching the sunset with a glass of wine, don't get me started on the early morning fishing as the sun rises, watching  the Kingfishers diving for their breakfast and catching a damn sight more fish than me. Then there's the Otters who ruin your fishing, as for that owl at How Hill keeping us awake at night, honestly, I really ought to get a life :naughty:

Grace

:broadscot

• Like 5