My Day

LizG

Yesterday we'd had an email from NYA to  say they'd had a boat come in that may be of interest to us. So  even though we didn't think it would be suitable off we went first thing to view it.  It was a beautiful day and an absolute joy to be in a "boatie" environment after such a long time. The boat was a  Haynes 29' and although in first rate condition was too small for our needs sadly. So we had a wander round the other boats just for the pleasure of being there, and then made our way to The Yare where for the first time in well over  year we were given a menu and chose a meal that was cooked by someone else! Bliss! It  was lovely to be back  and if we find the right boat we'll be going back again  soon we very much hope.

Carole

• Like 2

An update on my 17th April post. 

Now that we've had Dad staying with us for a week he's looking a lot more chirpy. His memory is still pretty bad, but at least he's not looking quite so confused and doddery. He has a good appetite and I've been feeding him up. I fact, we think he'll be strong enough to come with us on our next Moonlight Shadow allocation from Saturday.:default_biggrin:

Graham and I spent the weekend in Anglesey again, trying to tackle the worst of the mess in his house, leaving Dad in the care of our sons. :default_sad: It was worse than we thought it would be. Finding a grey furry blob in the salad spinner wasn't great, nor the mouldy fridge and microwave, and the very mouldy ex-pork chops found under the grill. I will spare you the bits that Graham tackled in the bathroom. We also found a police penalty notice fining him £100 for driving his car without an MOT. Dad had called us in January to say it had failed, but we think he then forgot about it and has been driving the car regardless. Obviously, Graham has now confiscated the keys!

Life must be so complicated if you can't remember stuff.

I spent all this morning composing a letter to Anglesey Social Care to describe the state we found Dad and his house in, and sent that off late morning together with some photos. About half an hour ago I was very impressed to receive an email from the social worker assigned to his case. She'd read my letter and a referral from his doctor. That was speedy! It took months to sort out an assessment visit for my Mam when she came down to live with us.

The weather this weekend was beautiful. Of course, we couldn't fully appreciate it, being tied up with cleaning and sorting, but we did manage to sneak in a few beach walks with Seren.

Early Friday evening on my Dad's favourite beach - Porthdafarch. Not one we can normally visit as it's dog free between May and September. 

IMG_20210424_171612095.thumb.jpg.9225799264a398ad0dbe9aad352e9e24.jpg

Saturday evening at Newry Beach, holiday, with one of the Irish ferries making way in the distance.

256464646_IMG_20210423_205810726(2).thumb.jpg.18ec796842a8734d0c61f43b4eb1eb3d.jpg

Sunday evening. Newry Beach again.

IMG-20210426-WA0003.thumb.jpg.7a0790bc36de527d043bd9ecb951a6a1.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

well tomorrow sees the start of a week aboard, at first there was some doubt Water Rail would be ready, but she is, so thats ok, (ok there are still a few minor issues, but nothing a mechanically minded bloke cant keep on top of). I had planned to head straight north but will be hanging round down south for at least a few days until we are happy the issues are resolved.

I am just happy i wll be out and bout on the water.

• Like 8

16 minutes ago, grendel said:

well tomorrow sees the start of a week aboard, at first there was some doubt Water Rail would be ready, but she is, so thats ok, (ok there are still a few minor issues, but nothing a mechanically minded bloke cant keep on top of). I had planned to head straight north but will be hanging round down south for at least a few days until we are happy the issues are resolved.

I am just happy i wll be out and bout on the water.

Enjoy yourself Peter.

Regards

Alan

Glad to hear that you'll be on Water Rail again. I have fond memories of being on her last year. She's a great little boat. 

We shall most likely head north on Sunday, just 'cos we can and also because our trip up north got but short last September due to high winds.

43 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

We shall most likely head north on Sunday, just 'cos we can and also because our trip up north got but short last September due to high winds. . . . . . . . . . .

We’re heading up to Norfolk Lady tomorrow evening for two or three days on board (sneaking a break from working on the bungalow).  We’ll keep a look out for you.  Not sure yet where we’re heading for on Saturday night at the moment.

• Like 1

Hope to see you around Malcolm. How lovely to be able to just pop down to the boat for weekend. I know you used to do that occasionally when you were in Northampton. Presumably you are finding it much easier from your new home. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, YnysMon said:

How lovely to be able to just pop down to the boat for weekend. I know you used to do that occasionally when you were in Northampton. Presumably you are finding it much easier from your new home. 

This will be only our second visit to the boat since we moved, but we hope to be making much more use of her as we get the work done here, especially as the signs are good the the virus is coming under control in the UK and restrictions are easing.  Instead of taking about 2 hours 15 minutes to get to Brundall, it’s now about 40 minutes.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

That’s similar to us with the caravan now. It really does feel very different to be there in 50 minutes. I’m sure it’s going to be wonderful to be so much closer to your boat. It’s all about lifestyle choices. 

Here is a quiz, I don't know the answers but I am sure someone will.

I inherited these three tools from a Naval joiner who then went on to train as an aeronautical engineer in the Navy and then joined Rolls Royce.

What are they used for.

IMG-20210501-WA0002.jpg

Just what is it with this strain of the common cold then?

I developed it about Wed 28th, took it onboard with me for the last maintenance weekend, it was at its height Saturday evening.  Thing is I have still got it, it's nowhere near as bad as it was but its most definitely with me ten days on.  I normally shake a cold off after four days max.  MrsG is still struggling with it too, we both developed it within a day of each other.

Not best chuffed

Griff

• Sad 2

On 01/05/2021 at 12:40, psychicsurveyor said:

Here is a quiz, I don't know the answers but I am sure someone will.

I inherited these three tools from a Naval joiner who then went on to train as an aeronautical engineer in the Navy and then joined Rolls Royce.

What are they used for.

IMG-20210501-WA0002.jpg

I asked my father in law - as he completed an apprenticeship as a joiner in the Marine Yard, Holyhead in the 1940s. In those days Marine Yard used to do all the maintenance of the Holyhead to Dublin ships, and other boats.

He hasn't got a clue what they are either.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

I asked my father in law - as he completed an apprenticeship as a joiner in the Marine Yard, Holyhead in the 1940s. In those days Marine Yard used to do all the maintenance of the Holyhead to Dublin ships, and other boats.

He hasn't got a clue what they are either.

Thanks Helen,

I am suprised no one  has managed to identify them yet.

3 hours ago, psychicsurveyor said:

Thanks Helen,

I am suprised no one  has managed to identify them yet.

I didn't know naval joiners were fussy about their hair ! These are probably Victorian/Edwardian

Exhibit One, to the left

1156955562_HairCrimperTongs.thumb.jpg.b2d1511e126765eaed771f1bad4fe823.jpg

Your one is missing a rather important part methinks.

Exhibit Two, in the centre

34615879_Moustachecurler.jpg.00e9a070e7545549e5bc0d4bb996cd5e.jpg

OK, so you have the economy version

Exhibit Three, to the right

1575112082_Haircurlingtongs.thumb.jpg.05a2aead49be0293b07ccde17100a5b6.jpg

Might be items acquired somewhere, as we all do, or may be Ma or Grandma ?

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, MotorBoater said:

I didn't know naval joiners were fussy about their hair ! These are probably Victorian/Edwardian

Exhibit One, to the left

1156955562_HairCrimperTongs.thumb.jpg.b2d1511e126765eaed771f1bad4fe823.jpg

Your one is missing a rather important part methinks.

Exhibit Two, in the centre

34615879_Moustachecurler.jpg.00e9a070e7545549e5bc0d4bb996cd5e.jpg

OK, so you have the economy version

Exhibit Three, to the right

1575112082_Haircurlingtongs.thumb.jpg.05a2aead49be0293b07ccde17100a5b6.jpg

Might be items acquired somewhere, as we all do, or may be Ma or Grandma ?

Thank you Motorboater, never thought about hair styling tools. The age is about right as the gentleman was born in 1914 and his wife in 1918. They were in his naval tool chest along with his original apprentice joiners tools, all well preserved and protected. I have another officers travel chest and a wooden trunk with his dress uniforms in.

He joined the Navy as an apprentice joiner, qualified and then retrained as an engineer. He Joined the Fleet air arm before the war as a rating before being commissioned and ending up as a Lt. Commander. He then joined Rolls Royce areo engines. A fascinating chap and an absolute gentleman.

• Like 1

Not surprised you were not thinking hair styling, for some reason your pic reminded me of a Bargain Hunt episode some weeks ago wherein the curler was illustrated, after that it was easy. The BBC has it's uses sometimes.

A long gone era that can still fascinate.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, psychicsurveyor said:

He joined the Navy as an apprentice joiner, qualified and then retrained as an engineer. He Joined the Fleet air arm before the war as a rating before being commissioned and ending up as a Lt. Commander. He then joined Rolls Royce areo engines. A fascinating chap and an absolute gentleman.

I had 2 uncles work at Rolls Royce in Watford.  One of them earlier worked for De Havillands in a reserved occupation and managed to get permission from the MD to join the RAF.  They promptly threw him out as he was more valuable to them at De Havillands, he went to Colney to work on the Mosquito before ending up at Watford.  He had a dodgy eye from where an engine blew up in the test cell !

Really interesting guy and as my parents were not just related but best friends with them we all spent a lot of time together.