My Day

LizG

My day yesterday started with catching up with the forum watching a bit of TV and breakfast after Tan got up.

Tan went down to the community center for a Panto rehearsal at midday so I pulled the car further down the drive to finish getting the heater fan out of the car (it had stopped working a couple of weeks ago) I had already taken loads of screw out and undone various clips but it would not drop out of position. 

Virtually bent double head in the footwell, more light on the job I found the last offending screw all I had to do now was remove a heating duct which in all the video's I have seen easily pulls off, today it just came off, fan out.

The reassembly took only about 15 minutes including refitting the replacement fan,removed glove box housing and all the trim.

Job done it was time for a brew before switching the oven on in preparation for tea. Tan arrived back from rehearsal around 5.30pm and only had to wait for Yorkshire Pudding.

We settled down to some TV and a glass of wine.

Regards

Alan

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Hockham Admiral said:

WOW, Alan, well done!     :default_icon_clap:

And how much would that have cost at the main dealers, I wonder?     :default_crying1animated:

Hi John,

More than I was prepared to pay, the only cost was £65.00 (including delivery) for a used fan and of course more pulled out hair.

How are you managing with your pain at the moment? I am glad to see that the hospital meals look inviting.

Regards

Alan

• 2 weeks later...

What a day, early start - woke at 4.30, coffee and at 5.45 was out and working on the car, last night heading home the squeal from a back wheel told me a brake had jammed on, so this morning it was due to come off the car to be freed up.

6.15 and its off, I am in my workshop. eventually using 100 psi from my air compressor, and I have released one cylinder, the other one didnt respond as  easily, I eventually resorted to splitting the caliper into its two parts, then I could hold the cylinder in the vice to get a grip on it, fortunately, when I replaced the brake discs and pads a few weeks back I had spotted an outer seal had split and ordered a new set, this replaced the existing seals, and by 8am, the caliper was fixed and ready, by 8.30 it was back on the car and the brakes bled. now to get to my 9am appointment for a blood test (just a routine inr test). then its off to work. I get to the M25 and stop, nothing moving, this was either the ww2 bomb found by the airport being transported to shoeburyness, or the second one found in the aggregate yard at the base of the bridge.20 minutes later we are off and I get to work.

fairly uneventful trip home, daughter is just getting ready to go to work, her taxi arrives and she departs, a very short time later the doorbell rings and there is a hammering on the door, she is back, someone is nosing about my old car (the turbo died, then the engine, the rear brakes are frozen and the battery is flat and the drivers door lock is dead) its been sitting in the car park for a couple of - three years.

I head out to look and the miscreants are gone (shame they could have had it with my best wishes) I do however find that at some point somebody has tried to steal it, the steering, ignition switch et all have been thoroughly smashed up, ah well.

I really will have to get somebody to take it away now. then it was cooking some pancakes for my tea, and another batch to go in my fridge for my daughter to heat up tomorrow. 

Just another one of those days I guess.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just remembered I haven't annoyed you with this weeks sunday sailing report..

Today being Sunday is sailing day, so it was off down the sailing club, flags up, Bouys out, dodge the two fishermen, no less than 5 rods out on sensors, plus the two they were were wandering around with.

Weather Westerly, 15 to 35mph, sunny scattered clouds. Very gusty with gusts of varying directions. Tide ebbing strongly.

Race 1
Due to the high winds only 5 boats worth of crew in our class, turned up and only three of those set out.
One boat got a perfect start we were second about 20ft behind them and the third boat was above us a little behind.

We were just able to hold our course along the southern bank of the Riverside the wind on our right, but then the third place boat coming across the river was faster and soon got alongside blocking our wind so we dropped to third. Worse than that, with two boats in front of us we were getting dirty air so we were forced to tack off to get clear air.

When we tacked back we were a further 50 ft back. We then played followed the leader round the bend. Then it was full scale tacking in strong gusty winds, very hard work across a narrow river. The other two boats got alongside each other, slowing themselves, so we were catching up. Then suddenly one of the boats turned away, and ran down river. Saying they were giving up as the wind was too strong.
Then as the other boat approached buoy 4 they too turned an ran down river. This meant if we continued, we would win, so we did. We were glad not to have to use the spinnaker, we did goose wing occasionally. We turned right on Swan corner and on down to buoy 1 avoiding the dozen or so dinghies. Rounding that we headed back to the club hoping to see a shortened course flag for us, but no. So we set off for another lap.

During this lap we saw a laser dinghy have a spectacular crash. As it gybed on the bend he lost control clipped the bank sending his boat 45 degrees up into the air. His mast hit a tree and the front half of his boat crashed down onto the bank. The wind the violently swung his boat round and off the bank into the river heading back up river. We could see the crew checking to boat for damage as we swept past, we are told by some miracle there was no damage to boat or crew.

So we did another lap hoping for a shortened course again, but no, so off we went again I said the my compatriot it was good the wind had dropped... Bad move we were hit by huge gusts again, but as we were not having to compete, we sailed on for safety not speed. Completing this lap we were greeted by the shortened course flag and finished. After a cup of tea we packed up as everyone else in the fleet had done so.

The dinghies went out again, just as they were alongside the club, a laser mast failed and broke in half. The laser top mast plugs inside the lower mast using a plastic collar to hold it in place. The collar is held in place by a rivet through the top mast, and that rivet is always where the mast breaks...

After the usual cheese rolls and coffee it was time for home.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Gosh, Queren, you should be handing out medals all round for endurance and fortitude!     :default_icon_clap:

My day today,  just one hour ago, in the local surgery, started with the practice nurse taking out 40, yes 40, surgical staples from my left knee......

Now home and eyeing the whisky bottle but I must exercise that knee down to the Hockham Eagle and back first.

Then we have a bottle of fizz in the fridge for Val's Day celebration, to be followed by the Scotch coffee!     :default_drinks:

• Like 6

I was planning to write a couple of reports. In fact I ended up badge making, see Spring Meet for details. 

There was shopping and looking for a replacement kitchen cupboard door... The one on our under sink cupboard hasn't lasted well, but Howdens have changed their range; no luck there, so back to the drawing board.

The highlight of the day was going to the cinema in MK to see the RSC live link to Stratford. It was a wonderful production of Twelfth Night, really great! The set, music and costumes first rate, and Chris Luscombe, the director has a great touch for comedy. Ade Edmonson was excellent as was Kara Tointon; they were the 'names' in the show but the whole cast were spot on. 

I haven't seen a theatre live link to cinema before, but this was BBC standard production, so it gave you great experience of the performance, plus interviews with the director and with a backstage feature on costume in the world class RSC wardrobe department.

Excellent!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

So, last night me and MrsG were out in Donny, which for us is a rarity.  We were attending a surprise 30th B'day party.

Between 1900 - 2300 I had about 7 pints or so.

Home for 2330 -ish then to bed.  However I forgot my golden rule to drink a pint of water or so before turning in.  Consequently this morning or arising at around 0730-ish I had an orifice like an Aborigine's flip flop.  So, downstairs to let dogs out and there was a bottle of water left out on the side, that'll do nicely methinks, one swift slurp later . . . . .

It was white vinegar      AAAARRRGGGHHHHH    :23_stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

That MrsG of mine had used it and not put it away, I normally get water out of the tap if it hadn't been on the worktop I would never have reached for it.  I have sent her to the dog house - (Which is normally where I am)  Of course madame thinks it's proper funny!

NBN 384.JPG

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

My Day today involved myself and Tan down at our local community centre for our dress rehearsals for next week's production of Jack & the  Beanstalk. We started at 9.20 am and walked out of the building at 6.10 pm.

Yorkshire Television attended during the rehearsals, there should be a small feature on Tuesday, this year is our 80th production.

I have been involved backstage for over 50 year and Tan for around 45, Tan is prompting in this production and her brother is playing the Baron and his daughter is in the junior corus. Myself for my sins doing the lighting and backstage lifting the backcloths.

Regards

Alan

• Like 6

On 15/02/2018 at 09:03, Polly said:

I was planning to write a couple of reports. In fact I ended up badge making, see Spring Meet for details. 

There was shopping and looking for a replacement kitchen cupboard door... The one on our under sink cupboard hasn't lasted well, but Howdens have changed their range; no luck there, so back to the drawing board.

The highlight of the day was going to the cinema in MK to see the RSC live link to Stratford. It was a wonderful production of Twelfth Night, really great! The set, music and costumes first rate, and Chris Luscombe, the director has a great touch for comedy. Ade Edmonson was excellent as was Kara Tointon; they were the 'names' in the show but the whole cast were spot on. 

I haven't seen a theatre live link to cinema before, but this was BBC standard production, so it gave you great experience of the performance, plus interviews with the director and with a backstage feature on costume in the world class RSC wardrobe department.

Excellent!

Good. We are off to see Twelfth Night on Wednesday evening. Looking forward to it!

Wind south to south westerly, from nothing up to, about 15mph.

Sunny with scattered clouds. Tide coming in for the first half of the race, going out for the second.
Today is the Tino Trophy or more correctly the Martin Dugdale Trophy, in memory of Tino who died at a fairly young age at a sailing event some years ago. His widow, daughter and grandchildren were present as usual for the race.
This is a single long race although the there are different class starts all worked out on handicap afterwards.

Course. 4p 1p 2p dinghies starting 5 minutes after the Yeomans but all in the same race on timed handicap.

The race it was a very tight start with the boats manouvering around, we didn't come out well starting second to last and very soon became last.

Soon it became evident two boats had got away, while we were back in the pack. Tacking our way up to the bend, we slowly worked our way through so by the bend we were up to third but were well behind the first two.

Round the bend and up to black horse broad was a single long tack close to the right hand bank. Which we made, just then round buoy 4 and haul up the spinnaker which sometimes collapsed as the wind was a little to close to windward. The others stayed close behind as we chased the leaders. Going onto a full spinnaker run down the straight to the club.
Then drop the spinnaker and go close hauled. To buoy 1 with the 4th place boat close on our heels. Gybe round then close hauled again to buoy 2 and the next lap.

We tacked our way up the straight slowly getting a distance ahead till the bend, we rounded the bend OK but the fourth place boat got a big lift and came charging up behind us and gained a small overlap to windward of us. The wind then dropped we both drifted on for a distance. Then the wind came back. Because of the overlap we got a lot of wind in the foresail but nothing in the main this pushed us onto the bank where we bounced along the wooden quay heading slowing us dramatically. So we dropped to forth by a long way.

The rest of the lap was follow the leader although we did get back right behind the third place boat.

Places stayed the same but the wind started dropping, the lead boats got that, then us in the middle, then those at the back. This meant the entire fleet concertinered up, although we were still 200 yards behind the first pair. Then one of the lead pair made the same mistake as us and bounced on the bank. By the time he recovered boat 3 was tight behind them and us behind boat 3. So we rounded buoy 4 and spinnakers up again.

With us behind blocking the wind, no one was getting away. Come the bend, we took the inside whereas the other two took the more normal middle to outside course.
It was the correct decision, we swept level with the other two then half way down the river we cut across, coming out in front. At one point we were three abreast blocking the wind and the lead boat lost speed. So we were now in second place, but then got a small overlap on the lead boat at the Swan Inn corner. Then into a tacking match with the lead boat, but we didn't have enough overlap so they got away.
We rounded buoy 1 then 2 and looked back to see boats 3 & 4 getting in each others way with boat 5 bearing down on them. boat 5 managing to get up to 3rd and the boat that spent a long time in second down to 5th.

The rest of the race was follow the leader, very closely, on the way back from buoy 4 we saw a laser dinghy also hit the bank, but then was unfortunate enough to get blown into someone's dinghy dyke. It took him quite a while to get out.

So we finished second in our fleet behind a lady helm.

When the results for the Tino Trophy were given out on handicap, the first 10 boats were within 3 minutes of each other. A laser was first, a yeoman second, a laser 3rd and us in a Yeoman 4th just under 30 seconds behind the winner.

This afternoon I went for a hearing test. This is the first one in decades, but Phill thought technology having moved on I might get a different answer than last time. Way back I suddenly lost a lot of hearing, inner ear damage from a drug reaction (probably tetracycline) and no available help.

Today, no good news, unless I want to go for a cochlear implant, and I don't.

Why mention it? Well guys if I look at you a bit 'gone out'  at the meet or clearly don't collect your meaning, please repeat slowly, and louder (not you Griff or Mike!) I am not necessarily being thick, just deaf. 

• Like 4