My Day

LizG

13 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

Different fuel admittedly, but when we bought the wife’s new (to her) car last June, it was doing around 33mpg on E5 petrol.  Since the change to E10 last September, the fuel consumption has fallen to about 27mpg.  We had to go to Milton Keynes a few weeks ago and for the sake of research, I filled with Tesco Momentum (E5 super unleaded) and the fuel consumption is back to 33mpg.

So, increasing the ethanol content in petrol, that is supposed to benefit the environment, appears (for us at least) to have made it worse, as we are now using more petrol.  The only benefit is to the Exchequer in the form of increased fuel usage for the same miles covered. Grrrrrrrr!!! 😡

I came to the same conclusion about E10 a month or so ago - my consumption dropped from a 300 mile range to about 270 miles.

So the last few tanks I have used 'premium' unleaded, but bought from Costco where the price is the same as standard E10 from supermarkets, and my tank range has returned to 300 miles.

Another "unintended consequence" of "going green" ...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, unclemike said:

who  says its unintended? more money in taxes is always intentional

The more tax might be intentional, but the worse fuel consumption on the pretext of "going green" and saving the environment surely is not, I would hope ?

11 minutes ago, Bikertov said:

The more tax might be intentional, but the worse fuel consumption on the pretext of "going green" and saving the environment surely is not, I would hope ?

I guess the problem is that governments like to be seen to be doing something, but all too frequently ‘knee-jerk’ reactions to a situation result in ill thought out resolutions that are either ineffective or have a retrograde impact.  Take some of the nonsense in the new Highway Code, for example.

• Like 3

Tescos Stalham I reported the fuel had gone up to 153.9 yesterday morning, it was 158.9 by the evening.

As for cooking oil in the diesel.. On TV this morning they report there could be an increase in the price of Cooking oil... Ukraine is one of the worlds biggest exporters of Sunflower Oil.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, TheQ said:

Tescos Stalham I reported the fuel had gone up to 153.9 yesterday morning, it was 158.9 by the evening.

As for cooking oil in the diesel.. On TV this morning they report there could be an increase in the price of Cooking oil... Ukraine is one of the worlds biggest exporters of Sunflower Oil.

Sunflower oil is dear enough as it is usually about £2,50 for about two litres.

Yes but luckily almost any veggie oil is ok for an Old diesel like mine.

This is where Norwich could use a Costco, from reports I've read elsewhere, they do 20L mini barrels of Veggie oil which brings the price down considerably..

Went for a ride out in the sun.

Horsey was very busy!

20220308_114532.thumb.jpg.6c294a4b145a6d82dc14dfcf1c1311ad.jpg

20220308_114528.thumb.jpg.8b4acf46c02ec77be865220276970162.jpg

The hut was open so bought a Chicken Salad sandwich, cup of coffee and braved the icy SE wind. I nearly retired to the car with it. God it was so cold coming over The Marrams.

• Like 7
  • Love 1

Well, it may be cold and today here in the Ely area of Cambridgeshire it's a beautiful day but very cold - down  to minus 2.2 overnight. However it's definitely Spring. How do I know? Tony gave the lawn its first cut of the season and he always leaves  it as late  as possible to do this. But he timed it well as he came in to  a large, warming bowl of home made tomato and red  pepper soup with parmesan cheese and garlic bread so he wasn't too unhappy!

Carole

• Like 2

And after nearly 3 months hiding away from the Beet Harvest mud! I relaunched my "picnic car".

I had the roof back all day along the coast, except for coming home, 60mph on the A149 between Potter and Stalham was too much.

Screenshot_20220308-164903_Gallery.thumb.jpg.2332b2d20e3d65adffc08992c556597c.jpg

So it is officially spring for me.

• Like 2

No I didn't  explain  properly. Our car is a 2021,so just a year old.What I should  of said.We didn't  need heating on,because  we didn't  need it on this afternoon, it was mild.So that was the first time we didn't need it on since last Autumn. 

• Like 2

And the misery continues, Monday of this week when I filled up prior to driving down to Norfolk, 'My' filling station was showing diesel at £1:62p per Litre, last night when passing it stated £1:77 :default_icon_e_surprised:  That's only a 12 per Litre  or 54p per gallon rise in just three days, that means its now £7:96 a gallon - Really?

Since inflation took off pre Ukraine invasion I reckon its now gone up 30p per Litre / £1:35 per gallon.  Not much I can do about it either where the 'GriffTile' van is concerned.  I cannot cut down my travel distance to supplier / clients as they are where they are.  It used to cost me around £115:00 to fill up from empty, at the current rates it'll now be around £140:00.  In reality it'll probably be more as I won't be needing any until next week :default_sad:

This blatant profiteering by the fuel suppliers really does need reigning in

Griff

• Like 6