My Day

LizG

56 minutes ago, TheQ said:

I see two stage verification of credit / bank cards comes in at the end of the month.. Just how is that going to work in shops where there is No mobile phone signal like the Big Tescos at Harford Bridge (large areas of the store have no signal at all). I predict lots of very annoyed people and long queues even when it does work...

I think I'll be going back to cash which will mean a regular trip to find an open bank, because I guess cash machines won't work either..

it means people with no mobile phone can't use credit cards..

My understanding is that the two stage verification is for online purchases only? 

Chris

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheQ said:

Yeah just re read the rubbish they've sent me. it's Online only at the moment.... but still gives me a problem, mobile phones don't work at our house...

How old is the phone?

Most phones now have either VOWIFI or VOLTE. Which you can use in remote locations by internet.

7 minutes ago, FairTmiddlin said:

How old is the phone?

Most phones now have either VOWIFI or VOLTE. Which you can use in remote locations by internet.

Over 10 years, in that time I still haven't finished using the second £10 worth of credit..

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

of course if you dont set up 2 factor verification, they cant expect you to use it, once again it is down to companies assuming that everyone has a smart phone, twice now at work i have had new verification protocols changed because they made this assumption, 'you must use a verification app in future' quick email- i dont own a smart phone, could you provide me with a company phone to be able to use an app, no, carry on as you have before. 'you must sign into the office using a qr code' will you provide a smart phone so that I can scan the qr code, no, just carry on as before.

so the answer is to contact your bank and ask how they expect you to use multi factor authentication, if you dont own a smart phone, and if they expect you to use an app to do so, could they provide a smart phone for this purpose, with a sim card provided at their expense, and see how quick they back down.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Mouldy said:

. . . . . . . . Anyway, back home, I spent the afternoon starting to assemble the wardrobes that were delivered on Monday by that famous Swedish flat pack furniture vendor.  Due to supply issues caused by Covid, driver shortages and errant container ships in the Suez Canal, it’d taken a long time for all of the individual parts to be available for delivery at the same time.  With our new bed due to be delivered tomorrow, we’ll soon have our bedroom back and functional again.

So, currently taking a break from wardrobe assembly and having lunch.  I’m aware that IKEA furniture may not suit everyone, but it does for us.  I made some other units from the same source last week for our dining room, so together with the wardrobes currently in progress, I’ve assembled quite a lot of individual parts.  Nothing missing and nothing damaged  . . . . . . . . quite remarkable really.

One thing I have noticed is that the various parts are manufactured all over the world, even components in the same box.  Mexico, China, India, Romania, Poland, Italy and even Sweden but nothing from the UK.  I wonder why. 🤔

18 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

So, currently taking a break from wardrobe assembly and having lunch.  I’m aware that IKEA furniture may not suit everyone, but it does for us.  I made some other units from the same source last week for our dining room, so together with the wardrobes currently in progress, I’ve assembled quite a lot of individual parts.  Nothing missing and nothing damaged  . . . . . . . . quite remarkable really.

One thing I have noticed is that the various parts are manufactured all over the world, even components in the same box.  Mexico, China, India, Romania, Poland, Italy and even Sweden but nothing from the UK.  I wonder why. 🤔

We are big fans of IKEA, and were even before Harry started working for them about 12 years ago. Their furniture seems quite sturdy, if put together properly. It helps that Harry gets a discount too! Although he's had one or two not so good managers, he's found that, in general, IKEA is a really good employer. Their response to Covid was really good, with employees continuing to be paid a good percentage of their salary. More recently, although IKEA have apparently closed their stores in Russia, Harry has heard that they are still paying employees, at least for in the short term. They have also made a large donation to a children's charity helping out in Ukraine. 

When they were allowed to, but before the store was allowed to open, IKEA did click and collect. So Harry, who normally works in the restaurant was doing 'picking', which he enjoyed. They were super cautious about re-opening the restaurant too, first just opening the take-away Bistro, then taking bookings for a limited number of restaurant tables until things got more 'normal'. 

So, all in all, a pretty robust response to all the madness. Harry was the only member of our family working in a public-facing workplace, and his 89 year Grandad was living with us last year, so we were very grateful to IKEA for taking things seriously. 

Never got a penny in furlough or any other state funded hand outs, neither did MrsG.

You can bet we both end up assisting to pay back the national debt though :default_pcwhack:

I can feel a dose of  'Car-Owner-Virus'  coming on later today as I have to fill up the 'GriffTile' van with over inflated rip off priced diesel :default_pcwhack:

Griff

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Bikertov said:

I'm shocked Grendel, that you don't have a smart phone !

dont want one either, the screen is too small to read, the buttons too small to press, i have a dumb phone that does calls and texts, and thats on pay as you go, generally i top up the credit by £10 every 3 or 4 months, whhy would i need a phone costing hundreds of pounds when i cant use it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, YnysMon said:

We are big fans of IKEA, and were even before Harry started working for them about 12 years ago. Their furniture seems quite sturdy, if put together properly. It helps that Harry gets a discount too! Although he's had one or two not so good managers, he's found that, in general, IKEA is a really good employer. Their response to Covid was really good, with employees continuing to be paid a good percentage of their salary. More recently, although IKEA have apparently closed their stores in Russia, Harry has heard that they are still paying employees, at least for in the short term. They have also made a large donation to a children's charity helping out in Ukraine. 

It was like being forced to walk around an exhibition in procession when I went to one of their stores; we had to walk around the whole shop to find what we were interested in, then the only way out was to carry on in the procession to the checkouts where there was no bypass for non purchasers. Put me off for life. Hope it's changed since then.