My Day

LizG

16 hours ago, Ray said:

Quite a good rail service from Acle Ian 👍

Even better bus service from Acle to both Norwich & Great Yarmouth both right to shopping area 4 per hour & free to those of a certain age plus plenty of free parking in Acle within walking distance (added info for those not familiar with the area)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, grendel said:

i had to travel to leicester this week for training, and en route the motorway services were at £1.77 per litre, 

If ever you come this way again, Asda or Sainsburys at Fosse Park (right next to Junction 21 M1) are usually the cheapest anywhere. I filled up last Sunday £1.46/lt (diesel) at Asda, having seen it at £1.58/lt out in the sticks.

1 hour ago, Bytheriver said:

Even better bus service from Acle to both Norwich & Great Yarmouth both right to shopping area 4 per hour & free to those of a certain age plus plenty of free parking in Acle within walking distance (added info for those not familiar with the area)

Why do we go by car.I'm unable to walk long distances due to very bad COPD.Using yesterday as an example I used my mobility scooter. I can walk but only for short distances. I have a blue badge.There is no direct  bus service to Norwich. As yet I've not travelled  by bus or train.

1 hour ago, floydraser said:

If ever you come this way again, Asda or Sainsburys at Fosse Park (right next to Junction 21 M1) are usually the cheapest anywhere. I filled up last Sunday £1.46/lt (diesel) at Asda, having seen it at £1.58/lt out in the sticks.

yeah, I will remember that, but to get to my company offices at potters marston, i exit at junction 20, then trail across country. as it was the ridiculously small tank on my v50 (remember I am used to a V70 with a 70 litre tank, this one is barely more than 50 litres) did get me there and back, 412 miles on 39 litres of the dinosaur juice (47.9mpg) so I filled up at the local asda when I got home at 152.7/ litre. it tried to worry me as at 10 litres remaining it was just touching the top edge of the red reserve section.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

No one is going to convince me that in less than 24 x Hrs the newly priced crude oil has been pumped, refined then delivered to the fuel station holding tanks

Don't be daft Griff, that's next weeks price hike.  (probably not a joke!)

• Sad 1

We spent yesterday on board.  Tony finished off the  installation of the new air vents he  started last week and I put a lot of our stuff on board. We didn't need any heating till about 5.15pm. It was a really beautiful day. We've noticed that each time we have gone to this boat the weather has been lovely even when the forecast was saying different. Hope it is  a  trend that continues. We've been trying to get stuff done now as I'm due for another operation on the 28th March. While bigger than the two I had last Autumn it's not as huge as it may have been, as fortunately the result of the MRI scan I had (that caused me a lot of worry) to my great relief showed nothing that they didn't already know about. So I want to get as much  done as  I can while I'm still reasonably fit to cope. We really enjoyed yesterday and  didn't get home 'till  about 7.30pm I find the more time I spend on this boat the more I want to spend.  I know it is going to be a wonderful  bolt hole for me post 'op.

Carole

• Like 9

And so the misery continues.  Passed same fuel station earlier this evening, it's now at £1:62 per Litre,  That's an 8p per litre or :36p per gallon rise in just nine days, when will it ever end?

Methinks we are heading towards the £2:00 per litre or £9:00 per gallon mark in the not too distant future

My Farmer mate has just ordered 5000 litres of red diesel to arrive this week, normally they tell him the price on ordering, that has changed and stated the price will be given on the day of delivery such is the volatility of the market just now.  They are expecting it to be around the £1:00 per litre mark, he says right now it is the most expensive it has ever been

Griff

• Sad 2

I nearly fell over today, the local garage is normally a couple of pence higher than the nearest supermarket. It was showing £1.76 a litre, Morrisons was £1.54 a litre. Guess where I filled up.

I think we might see a voluntary 50mph limit on the motorways before long to save fuel.

We are heading back to the 70s.

• Sad 2

5 hours ago, ExSurveyor said:

I nearly fell over today, the local garage is normally a couple of pence higher than the nearest supermarket. It was showing £1.76 a litre, Morrisons was £1.54 a litre. Guess where I filled up.

Ouch!!  I thought our local garage was bad.  When we went past on Saturday evening, they’d raised the price of diesel to £1.70, against the other garage in Watton at £1.58.

5 hours ago, ExSurveyor said:

I think we might see a voluntary 50mph limit on the motorways before long to save fuel.

I can’t remember any of the cars I had in the seventies, including the two old Minivans that were my first two cars, getting close to the 50+ mpg I get out of my Skoda Octavia vRS diesel.

5 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

We are heading back to the 70s.

Oh I do hope so, Glam rock, four pints and a packet of crisps for a quid, one night stands galore, flares, proper cars you could fix yersen, stax of woodies afloat - Bring it on :55c8f94983015_default_happyparty:

Griff

Oh no!!  I don’t think Lionel’s (Lionel Blair’s = flares) and platform soles would be suitable for us now, Griff, but glam rock and cheap beer I’ll go with!! Grow old (dis)gracefully!!  😉😁

• Like 1

When I was 18, a quid's worth of petrol, bought for the weekend on a Friday evening, was two and a half gallons.

I could afford it, too.  I was clearing £14 a week in those days - cash in hand.  I have never been so wealthy ever since!

• Haha 3

I was proper wealthy as a fifteen/sixteen year old just prior to joining the RN in Oct 76

I had a morning paper round, then off into Donny to work at a wholesale supply warehouse full time 0830 - 1630 then home for an evening paper round.  Thursday evenings was delivering eggs door to door, all day Saturday and Sunday (After delivering the morning papers) working at a clay pigeon shooting ground.  I had five incomes, one of which was full time. I was proper loaded with a huge combined weekly wage for my young years.

Then I joined the RN and was paid the princely sum of £11 per week :default_sad:

But - that's when the fun really started :default_norty:

And the rest as they say is history :default_icon_clap:

Griff

I remember even in the 80's, petrol being £1.45 a GALLON - then in some-or-other crisis it went up to £2.04 before dropping back down.

In those days, my Capri would take about 11 or 12 gallons, so around £20 to fill up. Wasn't to bothered in those days at getting ave 20 MPG out of it.

Now, I am over £90 to fill up the Audi - I fear it will be over £100 soon. Although most of the self-serve pump only pre-authorise you card up to £99, so that will be interesting.

Well Griffin, that was a cockup of masterly financial proportions.

This morning on my way back home from Donny's Keepmoat stadium blood test drive through (Whatever next?) I called in at my local fuel station.  I only needed just under half a tank, it is unusual for me to fill up unless I need a full tank but I'm soon to be Norfolk Broads bound in an hour or so.

Anyroadup, I pulled up adjacent to the fuel pumps, administered a half dose of diesel power additive, put the diesel nozzle in and began to dispense fuel.  I'm looking at the counter rapidly increasing faster than my Port and Stbd lookouts could keep up with it and noticed underneath it stating £1:75 per Litre - WHAT? :default_icon_eek:

I craned my napper round the 'GriffTile' van to look at the huge display price sign which stated £1:62 so why was 'My' pump stating £1:75 per litre? :default_icon_e_confused:

There it was, I had inadvertently picked up the wrong nozzle and was dispensing 'Diesel Supreme' :facepalm:Of course you did Griffin - Stupid boy

It was too late to stop and change nozzles so I carried on, fortunately not a full tank required to fill up.  So the 'GriffTile' van is now running on diesel supreme with a diesel power additive in it.  The journey down to the Broads - we'll be doing 'Tiger Times' at this rate :default_icon_e_surprised: 

Most expensive fuel I have ever bought - DOH!

Griff

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

I had stopped buying the 5 litre bottles of best sunflower oil to add into my tank occasionally as the price had risen to £6.50, as it was just not really worth it when 5 litres of proper diesel was just £7.50 (when the oil was just £5 for 5 litres it was worth adding the odd 5 litres to a tank full) but now its starting to look profitable again. I will say at this stage that diesel owners will want to do their own research as to whether their car can work on sunflower oil (or any other derivative) for a fact I know it can upset newer vehicles with all the emission controls and additives (it was 50/50 on the year of mine as some were fitted with eolys particulate filter additive fluid), I had mine checked and it has no reservoir for this, so is one of the ones that doesnt use it, if it did, I wouldnt contemplate using veggie oil.

Yep during the summer My ancient  landrover will be running on 50% veggie oil again..

Meanwhile this weekend Blue Moon had a mast on her for in a very long time, most the the rigging, sheets etc is now complete. the hull painting is now complete except for the anti fouling which I'll start next weekend

2 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

Well Griffin, that was a cockup of masterly financial proportions.

This morning on my way back home from Donny's Keepmoat stadium blood test drive through (Whatever next?) I called in at my local fuel station.  I only needed just under half a tank, it is unusual for me to fill up unless I need a full tank but I'm soon to be Norfolk Broads bound in an hour or so.

Anyroadup, I pulled up adjacent to the fuel pumps, administered a half dose of diesel power additive, put the diesel nozzle in and began to dispense fuel.  I'm looking at the counter rapidly increasing faster than my Port and Stbd lookouts could keep up with it and noticed underneath it stating £1:75 per Litre - WHAT? :default_icon_eek:

I craned my napper round the 'GriffTile' van to look at the huge display price sign which stated £1:62 so why was 'My' pump stating £1:75 per litre? :default_icon_e_confused:

There it was, I had inadvertently picked up the wrong nozzle and was dispensing 'Diesel Supreme' :facepalm:Of course you did Griffin - Stupid boy

It was too late to stop and change nozzles so I carried on, fortunately not a full tank required to fill up.  So the 'GriffTile' van is now running on diesel supreme with a diesel power additive in it.  The journey down to the Broads - we'll be doing 'Tiger Times' at this rate :default_icon_e_surprised: 

Most expensive fuel I have ever bought - DOH!

Griff

Different fuel admittedly, but when we bought the wife’s new (to her) car last June, it was doing around 33mpg on E5 petrol.  Since the change to E10 last September, the fuel consumption has fallen to about 27mpg.  We had to go to Milton Keynes a few weeks ago and for the sake of research, I filled with Tesco Momentum (E5 super unleaded) and the fuel consumption is back to 33mpg.

So, increasing the ethanol content in petrol, that is supposed to benefit the environment, appears (for us at least) to have made it worse, as we are now using more petrol.  The only benefit is to the Exchequer in the form of increased fuel usage for the same miles covered. Grrrrrrrr!!! 😡