My Day

LizG

Yep, IKEA bypass routes are well trodden! We don’t go around the ‘show ground’ area (you don’t have to!), we just cut to the marketplace. Then, we just go to the department we want by the nearest shortcut. I admit this does require a certain degree of familiarity of the store’s layout. 

If you are looking for large items you still don’t need to go around the whole store to find out where to collect your chosen item. Once you get out to the warehouse bit there are screens where you can check out which isle the items are stored in. 

• Like 1

Rip off diesel has actually come down in price to £1:72:09 per litre.  Still cost me £138:00 which is probably a record to fill Trevor Transit.  At least this time I managed to put the bog standard stuff in otherwise gawd knows what my new record would have been

Griff

I went to IKEA earlier in the week, as I had to buy a basic kitchen table and chairs for someone.

Over 2 hours later (not sure where it went), I got to the checkouts. The table I wanted wasn't self serve, but had to be paid for first and then collected form the collection point. 

So after a 30 minute wait, they brought it out - it was a 2 part set. Took it away, loaded into the car and went to the friends place to assemble it.

As I was opening the 2 boxes, I realised they had given me the wrong 'box 2', so instead of the table top in one box and legs in the other, I had no legs but the top from a totally different product.

And to make my day worse, by the time I had got out of IKEA, Screwfix had just shut when I really needed some bits for another job to help out the friend too.

It was at that point I remembered why much as I love IKEA, I also hate it with a vengeance.

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, Bikertov said:

It was at that point I remembered why much as I love IKEA, I also hate it with a vengeance.

Not a shop you pop into to pick something up is it.

No wonder they sell food, you could die of malnutrition before getting out.

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, floydraser said:

On the way up to the Lake District last Friday a news bulletin said the oil prices were stabilizing and they expected pump prices to drop soon. Hasn't happened yet but I guess they've stopped rising?

I fully expect the fuel retailers to take every opportunity they can to maximise their profits and take us for an expensive ride.  They’re always the same, put it straight up and forget to reduce it (conveniently).

3 hours ago, Bikertov said:

I went to IKEA earlier in the week, as I had to buy a basic kitchen table and chairs for someone.

Over 2 hours later (not sure where it went), I got to the checkouts. The table I wanted wasn't self serve, but had to be paid for first and then collected form the collection point. 

So after a 30 minute wait, they brought it out - it was a 2 part set. Took it away, loaded into the car and went to the friends place to assemble it.

As I was opening the 2 boxes, I realised they had given me the wrong 'box 2', so instead of the table top in one box and legs in the other, I had no legs but the top from a totally different product.

And to make my day worse, by the time I had got out of IKEA, Screwfix had just shut when I really needed some bits for another job to help out the friend too.

I’ve had three deliveries from IKEA in the last ten days, for dining room and bedroom furniture as well as a new bed base.  I have to say that there have been no damaged parts, nothing missing and everything has fitted together easily.

Well pleased!

DCB25E22-0940-4DA8-B99A-71934B8D1933.jpeg

E48F5779-6D6F-4BD4-A554-1D7A5FCE16CA.jpeg

2F4118B5-1FF9-4080-ABD2-E03B4541E18E.jpeg

E03A80AA-DDB3-43F3-8796-1E5507387EC5.jpeg

• Like 8

Yesterday being such a beautiful day I took a lunchtime walk down to the river. Had a lovely conversation with a couple out on their own boat. And then we happened to be there when the Admiral pulled in on Thunder. Great to finally get a chance to say hello to Russell. And Susan who is with him on this trip. 

EDC0BCF1-9A99-4690-8472-B5F649D74644.thumb.jpeg.fef99212b2fb6a6eef99dac1b47b90ad.jpeg

94C4F0AE-3C2C-4149-A92B-7B086DE784AA.thumb.jpeg.28cf2360dd239408d147b96c014c9c0c.jpeg

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, SwanR said:

. . . . . . . . . . . . . Great to finally get a chance to say hello to Russell. And Susan who is with him on this trip. 

We’ve met up with Russell a few times now and he is a really nice guy, very different to how you imagine him to be from watching his videos on YouTube.  His passion for The Broads is evident.  As for The Admiral, it’s a nickname he adopted after watching The Captains Blog (aka Robin Shepherd) and being inspired to also blog his adventures on the rivers.

Its earned him a lot of friends, including the wife and me, so good luck to him.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I have had a busy couple of days, I found that I was running my 100 year old lathe way to fast (aout 4 1/2 times too fast, so needed to replace the current 6" pulley on the countershaft with a bigger 12" pulley, unfortunately 12" pulleys with 1/2" bores are not so easy to find, and  are not cheap, but I struck lucky, i found someone selling 12" circles of aluminium toolplate 30mm thick on ebay, better still was the fact he was only 4 miles from me. the worst part was he was selling 10 of these chunks of aluminium, with a start price at £100 and  a buy it now at £200, ouch. i stuck a cheecky bit for £100 and waited the 18 hours left, nobody else bid, so I got them. friday I arranged to pick them up, - turns out its a local fabrication company, they make roulette tables, and these bits are the sections cut out where the wheel goes, anyway, I got chatting as we walked through the factory, lots of lovely toys, CNC routers that were just eating up 30mm aluminium like it was butter, anyhow, a short while later i came away from there with 11 - yes he threw in an extra one. (he had a bin full of the bits, some were up to 24" diameter).

anyway, i weighed one when I got home, 13 lbs 4 oz each, I have got about 145 Lbs of aluminium (at under scrap price), so it was going on the lathe to make a nice 12" pulley, the biggest chuck I have is 8", so it was bolted to the 10" backplate, and the bits i could safely turn were taken down to thickness, then I drilled some new holes in the bit that was the correct thickness and bolted it to the faceplate with these new holes, after which I could remove the original bolts and turn down the surface to finished thickness, I still have to put in the V groove, and face the other side, but thats what I have been up to today (oh yes, and clearing up a ton of aluminium swarf.

276320291_10158839828354639_3708577751954876528_n.jpg

DSCF9972.JPG

DSCF9973.JPG

DSCF9974.JPG

DSCF9975.JPG

DSCF9969.JPG

DSCF9970.JPG

DSCF9971.JPG

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, grendel said:

- turns out its a local fabrication company, they make roulette tables, and these bits are the sections cut out where the wheel goes, anyway, I got chatting as we walked through the factory, lots of lovely toys,

One of my friends used to be the CNC programmer there. Roughly between Ashford and Tenterden. If he was still there would possibly got you one for nothing.

2 hours ago, FairTmiddlin said:

One of my friends used to be the CNC programmer there. Roughly between Ashford and Tenterden. If he was still there would possibly got you one for nothing.

maybe they have moved, this place was in Chartham