My Day

LizG

1 hour ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ue7wM0QC5LE

The Python four men from Yorkshire sketch.

But it wasn't originally a Python sketch.

The four Yorkshireman sketch was written for Not the 1948 show, by Tim Brooke-Taylor, John Cleese, Graham Chapman and Marty Feldman. The recently departed Barry Cryer was the wine waiter, who possibly also helped to write the script.

The next iteration of it was on, I'm sorry I'll read that again. It was seven years after that the Python team resurrected it for their, Live at Drury Lane shows.

2 minutes ago, FairTmiddlin said:

But it wasn't originally a Python sketch.

The four Yorkshireman sketch was written for Not the 1948 show, by Tim Brooke-Taylor, John Cleese, Graham Chapman and Marty Feldman. The recently departed Barry Cryer was the wine waiter, who possibly also helped to write the script.

The next iteration of it was on, I'm sorry I'll read that again. It was seven years after that the Python team resurrected it for their, Live at Drury Lane shows.

Correct.

And here it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKHFZBUTA4k

56 minutes ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

That wasnt my reasoning for posting the sketch in full and yes it is a classic along with the Parrot in the pet shop sketch.

Oh no, that wasn't the tone of my post, not at all !

If anything, I was deprecating myself for getting it wrong :default_blush: 

Thanks for the link to the sketch - it put a smile on my face and made me giggle at work this afternoon ...

• Like 1

Smog, measles, mumps, corporal punishment, speaking when you're spoken to, permission to leave the table. Half term was 3 days, cleaning out the coal fire ashes....

I'd rather have been a kid today thanks. 👍🙂

Nostalgia ain't what it used to be 😁

• Like 3

3 hours more jobs after finishing work, that is trip to been and queued, purchase new toilet and cistern - fit same the incoming tap wouldt turn off fully and dripped, and generally everything on the old one was rusty and stuck, anyway its out, the new one is in, now to watch for possible leaks, literally just finished, but once again a working toilet.

13 minutes ago, grendel said:

3 hours more jobs after finishing work, that is trip to been and queued, purchase new toilet and cistern - fit same the incoming tap wouldt turn off fully and dripped, and generally everything on the old one was rusty and stuck, anyway its out, the new one is in, now to watch for possible leaks, literally just finished, but once again a working toilet.

Bet that’s a relief!!  :default_hiding:

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, grendel said:

It wont leak while you watch it but the moment your back is turned .....................

:default_biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Ray said:

Smog, measles, mumps, corporal punishment, speaking when you're spoken to, permission to leave the table. Half term was 3 days, cleaning out the coal fire ashes....

I'd rather have been a kid today thanks. 👍🙂

Nostalgia ain't what it used to be 😁

Not sure I would.  Can you imagine the thought of not being able to drive a proper car when you turn 17, or having to listen to rubbish music instead of the memorable tunes of the 60’s, 70’s or 80’s?

Plastic waste appears to have replaced smog as the issue of the day and learning basic manners and respect are attributes which have lasted through my life.

Things may be easier for youngsters today, but overall I’m not sure I’d swap.

• Like 4

Good point about the music 👍

Mt first car was a VW Beetle ( old school, 6v) my second a Ford Corsair 1500, I could do any repair needed on them... these days it's not worth lifting the bonnet, although to be fair I do enjoy my modern car.

Plastic waste is an international problem, you're right and something we all need to address urgently. Smog on the other hand meant being kept indoors for days on end, I had childhood asthma and there were no inhalers then!

I used to love SciFi as a kid, today's internet featured in the imagination of many of the great writers in one form or another 🙂

Maybe the best world of all would be the one with the best aspects of both times and none of the drawbacks of either? 🍺

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

No tiling for me today.  Catching a train this morning to Birmingham, meeting a group of mates all of whom I served with in Gibraltar 97 - 2000, not seen any of them since then,  It'll be an 'All day Sesh' due home around 2330

Griff

Careful Griff - you're venturing into a world of strange dialects! :default_rofl:I used to attend our reunions at the Tally Ho in BIrmingham but for the last two years it hasn't happened.  Have a great time and fingers crossed that the trains run smoothly!! (Hope you've got deep pockets - Birmingham can be a tad expensive!!).

Chris

• Thanks 1

not a great start to the day here, I managed to log on and can access the internet via my work computer, but for about 50% of the rest of the websites I try and visit (including google) i get nothing. Luckily NBN is working.

an internet search via my work machine tells me that there is a BT outage centred upon my postcode, Its not good timing a I have training via teams this morning, youtube is up, but refusing to play any videos (must be a bandwidth or speed thing) so I am not hopeful that I will be able to receive the video content of the days training later- which will be 100% of the content of the session no doubt.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, grendel said:

not a great start to the day here, I managed to log on and can access the internet via my work computer, but for about 50% of the rest of the websites I try and visit (including google) i get nothing. Luckily NBN is working.

an internet search via my work machine tells me that there is a BT outage centred upon my postcode, Its not good timing a I have training via teams this morning, youtube is up, but refusing to play any videos (must be a bandwidth or speed thing) so I am not hopeful that I will be able to receive the video content of the days training later- which will be 100% of the content of the session no doubt.

BT aren't having a good time at the moment! We experienced an BT outage Wednesday night which was centred on the Birminham area.  We're not with BT broadband but have to rely on the BT line for the broadband service that we subscribe to.

Chris

I ended up with only the work computer still functioning, so ended up shutting down everything, and then going through restarting everything in order, which has finally got everything functional - fortunately for me the teams meeting was cancelled

• Like 2