My Day

LizG

We went into Norwich this morning. It was the first time we had done so since moving up here. Lockdowns and Covid restrictions have meant that we haven't been out and about as much as we might otherwise done in the last year. The city centre was busy so it was nice to walk down by the cathedral to the river. The yacht station is of course closed so no boats about.

IMG_2478.JPG

IMG_2479.JPG

IMG_2481.JPG

IMG_2482.JPG

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, SwanR said:

. The yacht station is of course closed so no boats about.

When we were there the week before last there were very few boats in the yacht station. I was a bit surprised given that everyone seemed to have all their boats out.

I presume everybody was clogging up the Northern Broads (as we were later in the week).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Had a lovely day today. Weather  beautiful but cold Went to Sheerlines to  say hello to Hi-Jinks. Hung a pair of curtains to check we'd got the colour right -  we had,  and the maker had done a really splendid job if them can't wait to see them all in situ. Went to the Yare to  say our goodbyes, had a superb lunch  enjoyed my fiirst glass of wine in 10 days met up with old marina neighbours and had a lovely drive home. I commented to Tony the only thing that could have improved the day was if we had been able to get on our boat instead of  having to come  home.

Carole

• Like 3

Bro' received the replacement oil pressure sender for our Beta t'other day as expected.  What was not expected was how they came to charge us over £10:00 for the postage.  It was delivered by Royal Mail.  The actual cost of the postage printed on the Label was about £3:60.  Beta charged us £8:50 plus 20% vat.  That is profiteering and a rip off in my book. 

We shall be having words with Beta via email on this one :default_pcwhack:

Griff

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/11/2021 at 07:50, SwanR said:

I was fascinated by the way the birds all sit facing the same way in the wind. Snapped this in a little visit to Potter Heigham yesterday. 

9D14EEEB-EBA4-44B5-8DBE-91CB299778B5.thumb.jpeg.1a4e401231a0a33a785dfe53fe604b4b.jpeg

It's because if they sat with their bums to the wind they would whistle and attract predators...

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, annv said:

It was free in my day all part of attracting mum with children to purchase in store, it's a very mercenary world we now have. John

This is where Christmas has moved so far from being a religious Christian family oriented festival to a full-on commercial 'experience' and sales opportunity.

• Like 2

Cooking Christmas dinner is MrsG's part of ship and I wouldn't dare remove her responsibilities from her.

I will and do assist when instructed to do so.  Yes, there will be pheasant and partridge as a side roast on the dining table and of course Purdey will be treated to a Christmas dinner, she will even get to pull a cracker, keeping a cracker paper hat on her noggin for a photo will be the normal challenge

Griff

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• 4 weeks later...

My day, My Week,

I'd like to talk about paint......

OK moderators, this on a sailing boat not a motor cruiser..:default_biggrin:

Well I've had a disaster..

The last coat of paint I put on Blue Moon's hull, has not gone hard after several weeks and in places has not stuck on properly.. 

So the decision was to strip it off and start again.

My fault ? Or the manufacturer? It's not a well known brand of marine paint I used, it is much cheaper than say international paints. Anyway I've bought a can of Toplac to replace it with, it's a stronger light blue than I wanted. (squall blue) but I'm not messing with it, it will be applied as per the instructions.

So the decision was to strip the soft paint  off and start again.

First I tried a hot air gun and scraper.. 40mph winds from the warm south defeated that..

Then I tried a sander with conventional paper... Paper clogged up almost instantly

Then I tried non clog sanding mesh.. it clogged up instantly.

So at this point I got aggressive, and angle grinder With a scotch bright sanding pad..

That worked , I cleared the hull of the soft paint in one day, not too many extra deep scrapes and none through the glassfibre, just through the hull smoothing filler. (The hull is a glassfibre / plywood/ glassfibre sandwich). I looked like a snowman after that..

The next day the scrapes were filled.

After a day off due to rain , the hull was sanded using the conventional sand paper.. lots of it.. I looked like a snowman after that..

The next day,  the whole hull was given a coat of VCtar2, with second coats on the leading edge of the keel and rudder.. unfortunately I've run out of VCtar2, and the chandler's closed until Wednesday. I want to put another coat of VCtar2 below the waterline..

So today the plastic covers have gone back on, we have a reversal in weather forecast from Wednesday, cold freezing weather from the north..

As it is I couldn't continue to work on the hull this week, towards the end of working on the boat  my left knee gave way, in great pain, it did it again late yesterday evening, and again this morning trying to come downstairs..

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

Tuesday this week I finished work early as was expected that gave me the opportunity to rectify an issue round at my daughters place.

Prior to Christmas she went up the loft to for their decorations only to find damp, a lot of it, so much so that the lining under the roof tiles had droplets of water clearly visible and dripping off the joists in some places.  I was called round to investigate.

Earlier in the year they had the soffits and facias replaced with upvc, they did not use my recommended roofing chap but a guy who was recommended to them via a friend of theirs.  The idiot of a cowboy had not fitted two vents into the soffits but left the two elephant trunking pipes just sat on top of them.  These two trunking pipe are fed from the en-suite and bathroom extract fans that I fitted a while back, they are the larger high volume types.  I was well dis-chuffed but at least I had found the problem.  There are five of them in their home (Three grandsons) so that hot heavily moist discharged air had been pumping into their loft space daily, with winter arriving no wonder they had a condensation problem

I explained to her that they needed to vent the two extract fans to atmosphere, the simplest method would be a core drill though the gable end in the loft space, with a non-return flap vent on the outside, a 'Y' fitting inside then both trunking pipes connected to that making sure the hole through the wall was sleeved

She contacted 'Her' builder chap, yes he could do it but not until mid January and it would be £200:00  TWO HUNDRED.

Well I wasn't having that.  The 'Y' piece, sleeve and flap vent cost me £6:50.  Up into the loft core drilled through the block, then 9/10th through the outer brick, outside up t ladder, complete core drilling (Awkward at height), fit vent flap and sleeve, back inside to the loft, connect 'Y' piece and trunking.  Job done.  Took me about three hours all in including getting tools and my large ladders out / packed away

I have told her to ring 'Her' roofer and explain why she will not be recommending him to anyone and to ring 'Her' builder explaining that her Dad did the job for £6:50- + three free hours a saving of £193:50

What was the hardest part of the job? - It'll be getting £6:50 out of my daughter  :default_icon_rolleyes:

Griff

• Like 6