My Day

LizG

1 hour ago, grendel said:

Just popped out into the garden and picked some apples from my tree for the apple crumble I will be cooking on lads week,

Nothing beats an apple crumble.. the big point of debate of course is the custard. Hot crumble must be accompanied by cold custard! Yes? 😁

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ray said:

Well, I'm shocked! 😂

Me too, There are some very strange tastes lurking on this forum. Marmite and sprouts together :facepalm:. Thick cold custard, very strange indeed :default_biggrin:

Custard just has to be hot and runny, poured over a chocolate sponge or sticky toffee pudding, scrummy x

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

dont get me wrong I will eat custard in all shapes and forms, but for a crumble it has to be hot and freshly made.

(early in my career I had an arrangement with the ladies in the canteen, they would make me a special apple turnover that could span a soup plate and then fill the soup plate with custard, always complement the canteen ladies on their food, it pays dividends.

• Like 1

I’m in Leeds on a medical trial at the moment. And my tea is in 10 minutes time. Good thing too as all this food talk is making me increasingly ravenous. And funnily enough, I think we are getting crumble tonight. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Gracie said:

Nooooooo, you strange person :default_biggrin:

You're not the first to make this observation and custard isn't the only reason 😂

3 minutes ago, grendel said:

always complement the canteen ladies on their food, it pays dividends

I have to agree, in the far distant past I worked at HJ Heinz and as a school leaver who didn't really look old enough to be out of school the canteen ladies "adopted" me 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ray said:

Nothing beats an apple crumble.. the big point of debate of course is the custard. Hot crumble must be accompanied by cold custard! Yes? 😁

Sorry Ray.  Just wrong.  Hot, smooth creamy custard.  It’s the only way.

Now, if you want to start a proper debate, chips and gravy - yes or no?

For me, definitely not.  Salt, vinegar and perhaps ketchup, but gravy . . . . just wrong on every level!

• Like 1

Just now, Mouldy said:

Sorry Ray.  Just wrong.  Hot, smooth creamy custard.  It’s the only way.

Now, if you want to start a proper debate, chips and gravy - yes or no?

For me, definitely not.  Salt, vinegar and perhaps ketchup, but gravy . . . . just wrong on every level!

Chips and curry sauce is the way to go! 

When my kids were younger they always wanted more crumble topping. My son said the ratio of apple and crumble was crucial. I said how much do you want then and he said at least a foot of crumble and that the fruit should just be a token gesture 

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Mouldy said:

Yes! We have a meeting of minds and world peace may break out if only everyone had the common decency to keep gravy away from chips 🍺

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, grendel said:

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . always complement the canteen ladies on their food, it pays dividends.

Hmmm.  Good advice, that.  Back in the day when I drove for a well known supermarket from one of their RDC’s in Milton Keynes, if there was a delay with the load and the opportunity arose to visit their subsidised canteen, it was always worth taking advantage as the food wasn’t bad . . . and was cheap.

I always wondered why when asked if I wanted gravy, my reply of ‘two lumps, please’ wasn’t always received well.

You live and learn.

• Haha 2