My Day

LizG

9 hours ago, Wussername said:

You do not see them

Once or twice a year, with a clear sky and a bit of luck we see them dog fighting over us here on the coast. The handling of the aircraft and the noise of the engines beat any display I've been to 👍

• Like 1

It was the Horning SC, Yare and Bure open Regatta this weekend, For which I was on Rescue boat on Sunday.. 

There has been a reduction in Weed on Black Horse broad, so as traditional it was held on there..

It seemed to be a good event and other than putting buoys out and retrieving them the only rescue boat work was getting the White boats through the dyke.

There are however patches of weed, in particular there was one patch near where we had placed a buoy on the course.. Every so often a boat would sail round the buoy and then after a few yards come to a near stop.. As they ploughed very slowly through the weed accelerating again once through.

Other boats which were sailing quite happily, would slow slightly somewhere round the course, but keep going.. However staying slow for some time due to weed trapped round their rudder.

Liz when we pushed her boat out of the broad was found to be towing weed...

• Like 1

car is booked in for MOT and brake work today, got a call this morning, apart from the brakes its failed on the one thing I couldnt check, the emissions, so they are doing a full service for me, oil, filters etc and going to run some diesel magic through it and a carbon clean too if it needs it, just waiting now for notification they have finished and to go pick it up.

the garage is 3.5 miles away, so i throw the electric scooter in the boot to get home and back, the only issue htis time round was- could I find where i had put the charger last time  used it- a year ago?, it was on 3 1/2 bars, now on 2 1/2, so will i get back to pick it up, or will it go flat on me (note I use countryside paths and back ways for the vast majority of the route, the rest I walk.

ok so i got a call at 4.30, car is ready, now its a good 1 1/4 hours on foot and about 40 minutes by electric scooter, so, i set off fingers crossed that 2 and a bit bars would get me there, its fairly flat, the footpath runs alongside the river, so i got halfway along the gravel section before the batterys gave a red warning only about half a mile short, pushed the rest of the gravel section, then up and over the railway bridge, managed to coast down the other side as the battery had regenerated a little and was showing 1 bar again, eventually coasted to a stop with the red warning right outside the garage. (replacement charger should arrive tomorrow or the next day) just 10 minutes before the garage shuts for the day

so what did they do, MOT, front brakes pads and discs (rear were inspected and found to be perfect, so not needed), a service, oil, oil filter, air filter diesel filter, that got it through the emissions, so with everything plus £132 labour came to just £434. 1 advisory, one rear light in a cluster of 2 was out, quite happy at that, and the garage living up to its name affordable automobiles.

• Like 3

Answer the door to have two pretty young ladies come in and take my shirt off and proceed to shave my chest, then they expect to get a good blood pressure reading, it's not my arm that cuff should be on all the blood's gone elsewhere!

If it wasn't for the chest tightness and pain it would be a fantastic start to the day...

Taken to local hospital for checks not Papworth so only minor, now feel like a fraud. 

Got a day off work at least just wish the beepy machine would shut up.

• Like 1
  • Sad 7

My day back dated to last Friday:

We've had a new VW campervan on order since March. We fully understand the delays due to global goings on so there has been a delay past the June build time. I had a phone call about 4 weeks ago to say it was half built at VW but they were waiting for parts. Had a call on Friday with good news and bad. Good news: my van is in the uk. Bad: It's got the wrong engine and gearbox! 

My choices were: accept it and save some money. Wait for a week another one with the right engine but wrong gearbox. Re order and go again.

Easiest way out all round is that I take a refund and walk away.

Between VW, their dealer and the converter, they could blame each other all day long. They can sell any van they produce so why should anyone put themselves out for me? They now have one for immediate delivery to which they can apply all the latest price hikes. Win win win.

We were very disappointed and deflated but in the big scheme of things we are lucky to have our health and the ability to enjoy life in other ways.

Like Smoggy recently, I have had a few health scares and tests where one minute you are choosing hymns, next you feel a bit of a fraud. It puts a lot of things in perspective.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, MargeandParge said:

How far is The Cross Keys from the moorings and is it a nice pub ?

We went in May for lunch and it was very good.  Nice beer garden for better weather and the food (that we had, at least) was excellent.  I’d guess it’s about a quarter of a mile from the moorings.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MargeandParge said:

Hi Ian

How far is The Cross Keys from the moorings and is it a nice pub ?

(Oh, and have you left a tab running? ):default_biggrin:

Kindest regards

Marge and Parge

It's about a ten minute walk.Considering my COPD can give me a bad time,it was fine.Sorry no tab.They don't do tabs only cards or cash up front.:default_blink:

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Bikertov said:

An early start this morning. 3 hours in the queue so far, and no idea how much longer.

But it will be worth it when we get to Westminster Hall

Good luck with that.  As much as I’d like to be there, there’s no way I could queue for that long.