My Day

LizG

9 minutes ago, Ray said:

That eel sauce Ian, is that what they call liquor? (Not sure how it's spelt)

For me pie and mash has to come with peas and gravy 👍 

It’s not always made with the liquid that the eels have been stewed in now, although that’s traditionally what it was and combined with a parsley sauce.

• Thanks 1

Egg custard isn’t that difficult. If you add some cornflour it helps to stop it splitting. I do my custard in the microwave, and if it does look split I just gave it a whisk and it comes together again. Half a pint of milk, one egg, a teaspoon of cornflour and dessertspoon of sugar. I put it on medium in the microwave for a couple of minutes, then whisk well, then repeat that until it’s done. If left to cool it’s thick enough for a trifle with being too thick and completely set. 

• Like 1

My last job on Fridays I used to fry fish Pollock or Haddock,often about 300 hundred  bits of fish.My mix was 3 2 1.3 kg of plain flour  2kg cornflour  and 1kg baking power mix with sparkling water. Allow to rest for at least an hour.We also did pie mash, garden peas and mushy peas.Gravy and curry sauce. Pies often chicken,beef or lamb and a veggie one.

• Like 3

Not sure I could manage eels with anything.
And chips can’t have gravy, maybe curry sauce but definitely tomato sauce. 
And yes, it was apple crumble for tea, in just the right ratio for me (about half and half) with hot runny custard, so they got it half right!!!! Very nice though all the same, especially as I didn’t have to make it myself. 

• Like 1

My dear old uncle George worked on Lowestoft fish market all his life. Filleting fish. His hands were swollen from chilblains. He had to keep dipping them in warm water. They were so cold.

It was all he did, it was all he knew.

He was allowed an allowance of fish, once a week for his own family. A meagre allowance.

When he retired at 65 he decided to continue the tradition. I used to accompany uncle George sometimes, with his trade bike, to the market, to  visit his mates. A sack laid in the basket of the bike. Underneath of course were the fish on the return journey.

This went on for years.

George was quite ecstatic about his deception. Proud as well. A feed of fish on a Friday for the whole family. There was little more he could do.

The security officers on the gate knew exactly what was going on. They were under the most strict instructions from the directors not to stop him. Such was the respect and affection they had for him. Never has such a privilege been granted since or will be again.

Thank you Uncle George  for that wonderful feed of fish on a Friday night, always fried, Dover soles, lemon soles, place, skate, rooker, 

Vinegar and salt. Never eaten with knife and fork, just fingers, hot, greasy, finger licking good. They were fishing folk.

Never has fish tasted so good.

My childhood, on holiday, with Uncle George and Aunt Ivy in Rouen Road, Lowestoft.

• Like 6
  • Love 3

28 minutes ago, Wussername said:

My dear old uncle George worked on Lowestoft fish market all his life. Filleting fish. His hands were swollen from chilblains. He had to keep dipping them in warm water. They were so cold.

It was all he did, it was all he knew.

He was allowed an allowance of fish, once a week for his own family. A meagre allowance.

When he retired at 65 he decided to continue the tradition. I used to accompany uncle George sometimes, with his trade bike, to the market, to  visit his mates. A sack laid in the basket of the bike. Underneath of course were the fish on the return journey.

This went on for years.

George was quite ecstatic about his deception. Proud as well. A feed of fish on a Friday for the whole family. There was little more he could do.

The security officers on the gate knew exactly what was going on. They were under the most strict instructions from the directors not to stop him. Such was the respect and affection they had for him. Never has such a privilege been granted since or will be again.

Thank you Uncle George  for that wonderful feed of fish on a Friday night, always fried, Dover soles, lemon soles, place, skate, rooker, 

Vinegar and salt. Never eaten with knife and fork, just fingers, hot, greasy, finger licking good. They were fishing folk.

Never has fish tasted so good.

My childhood, on holiday, with Uncle George and Aunt Ivy in Rouen Road, Lowestoft.

That's lovely Old Wusser, thank you for sharing that x

7 hours ago, Smoggy said:

Why is it in photos and video the sea always looks fairly flat no matter how lively in reality?

You're still making me horribly jealous.

When I drove it there was no way I could film at the same time hence filming someone else.  We actually diverted through the islands to avoid the worst, more lobster pots as the season has just started but a lot calmer.

29 minutes ago, ranworthbreeze said:

Rather than crumble I would prefer apple pie with a deep filling of apples and of course hot custard.

Good call Alan!  Needs a little cinnamon with the apple and the apples still need to have texture, not puréed.

To be fair, it’s a pie, whether it’s chicken, steak or apple (not mixed though), they’re amongst my favourites!

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, SwanR said:

I am hearing of quite a few people with Covid at the moment. Hope you feel better soon Ian. 🤗

Yes, our Minister, who also happens to be our Dr, told me on Sunday that the medical professions had been expecting a spike after the Queen's funeral due to all the mass gatherings.

I should probably try to find out when Graham and I are due to get our boosters.

Back to Eels I used to go with my Dad to COOKS in Dalston    East London where they had a drawer which pulled out the from the the front of the shop for you to select  from a mass of live eels in the tray to be prepared for you ,with a pie and liquor  ,was the best TAKE Away at the time ,along with Faggots and pease pudding from Edmonton .they were the days .No Just Eat delivery’s in those days. :default_dry: 

I had my fourth booster on Monday, this time Moderna so Ive now had two Astra Zeneca, and a Pfizer plus the Moderna so the full cocktail . Reacted to all of them after 12 hours having the jab and felt pretty rough for 24 hours. Paracetamol did wonders.  My 89 year old parents haven’t reacted to any of their jabs (all Pfizer) and they had the flu jab at the same time. They be made of sterner stuff than me! 

I had my 4th Covid booster last friday, got the email and went to the local walk in centre, all 4 have been pfizer, the feeling rough tarted about 12 hours later then lasted a further 24 hours, nothing I couldnt work round, but just slightly rough, flu jab booked for the end of the month.

Tony had his booster (Moderna) and flu jab at the same time and the next day felt quite nauseous and thickheaded. Ok again after a couple of days. 

I think I read that 64 and under need to wait a while yet, maybe just be round my area though.