My Day

LizG

A very nice long day.We got home about 6.30pm,very wet  this morning.Sobwe got our chocs, coffee and a nice bottle of red wine from Meopham. Then onto lunch,Marina's brother was very surprised 😮 that we were all there for lunch,14 of us.Lunch was very good,nice to see family we've  not seen for a time.

A few photos 📸 

20221030_101858.jpg

20221030_113351.jpg

20221030_183527.jpg

• Like 3

Had our jabs around 3 weeks apart. The Covid jab - Moderna - floored me for a day and a half but with the flu jab I just felt slightly under the weather for the afternoon.  Regardless of the side effects, I don't fancy either flu or covid, so I am happy to get vaccinated whenever a jab is on offer.

Saw the weather forecast was pretty fair today and made a snap decision to go to the boat and close her off for Winter. Arrived about 10.45.am First job was to get her thoroughly dried off. Then put in the anti-freeze. After that Tony took off the canopy and also dismantled the framework. When we bought the boat it had a fastback canopy which which made it impossible to get full use of the cockpit. So we had a new canopy made with a framework that gave much more head room at the stern. However we have a winter cover that was made for the previous configuration so Tony had to dismantle the new frame work in order to fit the winter cover. this done, with a little help from me the winter cover was fitted. We had a sandwich and a coffee, stripped out the larder and bedding, drained down the domestic water system and were on our way home by  2.00pm. I think next year we'll have the cover altered to fit the new configuration as it was a bit of a faff.

Carole

• Like 3

Today I helped out Hemsby  Lifeboats,this afternoon  and evening  for the fireworks.At Hemsby  playing fields.There was two of us on the tombola stand.There was a bar,bbq  music. Amusements,stalls.A good evening the fireworks were good too.Not sure how many people  attended,but it was a lot.

A few photos. 

20221105_162056.jpg

20221105_162053.jpg

20221105_162043.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

I've just checked  Hemsby  Facebook page. Last night  we raised  just over £12.000.Very successful evening.

Since moving to Martham,I've helped out a number of times.The crew and volunteers  do a great job,There's also a lady living  close  by who's raised considerable amounts of money  for Hemsby Lifeboats.

Next up early next month Santa 🎅 will tour the surrounding areas.

• Like 5

In fact raised  last night was £12,146.80.

They work very hard at raising money. The Lifeboat event early  August they raised 18k.The Herring  festival not sure how much but they sold 33 stone of fish.I've been involved all my life working in the voluntary sector. What the crew and volunteers do at Hemsby  is outstanding 👏

• Like 6

1 hour ago, BroadAmbition said:

Purdey with fireworks going off outside 

Griff

A0BCC9BB-F3C8-46A0-BDEB-2D1C2735A4B7.jpeg

That's a gundog for you, our Tina is a nervous wreck this weekend.

Our last dog Winston would happily sit and watch fireworks and lightning without a care, it was so much easier.

what a day, I had some mandatory training at milton keynes, starting at 10am, so plenty of time to get there,  so as it was a 2 1/2 hour journey, and not wanting to arrive late I left at 6am, made good time up to the flyover off the A2 over the M25, I was now 2 miles from the tunnel and it was 7am.

and we stopped.

2 hours later we were moving again and I was headed through the tunnel (apparently it was stop oil protestors on a gantry above junction 31) now we were moving and it was looking like I would arrive about 10.30, couldnt be helped.

Except I got to junction 27 for the M11, and everyone was diverted off the motorway onto the M11 - great (another batch of protesters), i headed north, and carried on past the first turnoff (there was a 3 mile queue to turn off, and headed up to stansted where I took a break at bishops stortford services. map out, and yes if I took the A120, I could get to the A507, which would take me via the A1M and across country to the M1. I left the services just after 9.30, and eventually after a very pretty cross country hike, arrived at the venue for 11.30 having missed completely the first section of the training. the M25 was at least open for the return journey, but that still took 3 1/2 hours, all told a 13 hour day from when I got into the car.

not fun

the only good news of the day was that the police are now treating those arrested for these protests as criminals, so they can be properly tried and convicted.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Winterisation.

No longer being a boat owner! Never the less the "Picnic Car" is now away until spring having been serviced and valeted and left with the hand brake off. I covered about 3000 miles this summer from north of Skegness to Flatford Mill all with the roof down.

20221109_061817.thumb.jpg.b1c49c4b4d275d3c5585fe4b08b7d73b.jpg

• Like 2

11 hours ago, grendel said:

if I took the A120, I could get to the A507, which would take me via the A1M

That’s a route I know well Grendel. Nice twisty turny road that A507, but it gets you there. Some people I work with got stuck on the M25 yesterday. This disruption to people’s lives is unacceptable. 

16 minutes ago, SwanR said:

This disruption to people’s lives is unacceptable. 

It makes me chuckle reading about these environmentalists.  Don’t get me wrong I, as well as many of us, realise that we are doing damage to the planet, but changing our way of life to become carbon neutral will not happen overnight.

Watching these idiots claiming to be friends of the planet, wearing clothing made with by-products of oil, suspending themselves from bridges using nylon ropes whilst cars and trucks are ticking over, pumping more pollutants into the atmosphere in queues of traffic, all seems to make a bit of a mockery of their protests.

• Like 8

43 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

Picnic car? - Give us a clue then!

Griff

It was not my 1st choice:-

1 was MX5 but I needed to open doors fully to get in and out. So could not put it in garage.

2 was Abarth 595 Cabriolet. Fab if you lived in Italy or Spain with smooth roads. Spine shattering on the A149 coast Road.

Hence:-

image.thumb.jpg.20e3a3d30c469cd7874daa10a0fa1708.jpg20211018_145038.thumb.jpg.5a1e953e1756eacb4d8be321dfa215a1.jpg

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

P@@@ing every  one off and causing more pollution because  so much traffic backs up.

I fear it is rather worse than that.

This is a fundamental breakdown of law and order, which the police appear incapable or unwilling (or both) to control.

No matter what their "cause" or its merits, these  idiots are being allowed to commit multiple public order and criminal offences, all of which are arrest-able by a police officer, with complete impunity.

This sort of mayhem cannot be allowed to continue, in a civilised society.  The law of the land must be enforced.

• Like 8

55 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

No matter what their "cause" or its merits, these  idiots are

Protesters! 

I rather suspect "these idiots" think the real "idiots" are the ones allowing new licenses for gas and oil exploration, or the "idiots" driving their gas guzzling cars on the road and warming up our planet.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, why do we have to label them as "idiots"

I agree the law needs upholding and that peaceful protests should be possible without disrupting everyone, but I also happen to think that we can do without more labels on this forum.

• Like 3