My Day

LizG

Time zone baby.

Yesterday, 12.12.22 at 1700 hrs I was told that my first Grandson had been born. However my son lives in Melbourne and BabyB's birthday is therefore today 13.12.22  at 0235 hrs.

973188410_IMG-20221212-WA00002.thumb.jpg.bd3c1a79f29e841c4189471b1695a99a.jpg

• Like 9
  • Love 7

8 minutes ago, Gracie said:

Oh Chris (Granddad) congratulations, he's a beauty. :default_icon_luvlove: I hope mum, dad and baby are doing well x

Yes, they are all very good. Thanks.

Things are different in Australia as no NHS. The three of them are in hospital in a large room with en-suite and they have a double bed. After 2 days, if all is well they are transfered to the Hyatt Hotel where the hospital has a whole floor for 5 days with nursery staff to be instructed in bathing  changing, feeding etc. And if all is good they go home.

Different from us he was born at home in a blizzard we could not get to hospital and Judith was in only 48 hours with our eldest son.

But while it sounds wonderful, it must be remembered not all are so lucky. My son is a very successful financial services executive and BabyB's birth is going to be very expensive.

Even with all our problems at present we should all be grateful for our NHS.

• Like 10

2 hours ago, ChrisB said:

Even with all our problems at present we should all be grateful for our NHS.

Maybe we should also celebrate modern technology (when we're not cursing it! :default_pcwhack:).

Not so long ago you wouldn't have been able to see anything of him for weeks.

Congratulations, Christmas just got more expensive...

• Thanks 1

Congratulations grandad Chris. Baby looks gorgeous. What a lovely Christmas present!

Thanks for your reflections over the NHS. I wonder how people cope in Australia (and other countries with mainly private health care) if they can't afford health insurance.

• Thanks 1

got a weeks holidayas it had to be used up, and now everything seems to be breaking down, today it was the turn of the washing machine, its not spinning, starts off with a great thump and the machine jumps, that is until you try it without anything in, normally it ramps up slowly and gets over it, but now the machine is jumping, i suspect a bearing failed or the shock absorbers, either way the clothes came out wet, and i am now looking for a new one

new washing machine bought, loaded in the car, wrestled down the hallway, round the corner and into the kitchen. Appliance jenga played with 1 extra washing machine and whew, tomorrow it will be pull the old machine apart for any useful parts (motors etc) and see if I can find what was wrong with it. I could have pulled it apart first, but then i guess it was nearly new when we got it, and thats got to be at least 12 years ago now. so i guess its been pretty good.

the appliance jenga was the worst part, as the washing machine fits in the corner, and the dishwasher has to come out to get the washing machine in and out as there is a gas outlet and socket on the wall, plus there is only about 1/2 cm spare space in the gap for the washing machine and dishwasher. then there is a cabinet on wheels that rolls into the gap in front of the washing machine, so effectively the washing machine resides in the dead corner at the join of 2 runs of cabinets, it works, the cabinet rolls out to access the washing machine, then rolls back and deadens any noise the machine makes.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I had an interesting trip to North Walsham today when making a purchase in toolstation. 
It has a rather good looking market cross in the centre, with a cobbled pedestrianised street (will be once they’ve finished re-laying the setts). 
And a church which is gigantic.
87BA019D-6282-44F0-A90C-D391A8A057AA.thumb.jpeg.db1f92e493e3e02d8faefeb7da9216ed.jpeg

5C9FF83C-A486-4430-8D38-550D376B6526.thumb.jpeg.690908dad72258320aa9a18520317c81.jpeg

I spoke to a man moving some staging in there. He said North Walsham’s wealth came from a summer tweed, rather than the heavy tweed from down the road at Worstead. A man called William Paston who was a descendent from the family at Fellbrigg Hall built the church and a grammar school, only to have his son squander a lot of the family money after his death. Horatio Nelson went to the grammar school, as did Stephen Fry. The church has a ruined tower, William Paston’s very ornate tomb, one of those friezes with all the saints/apostles, not so defaced as some I’ve seen in other churches in the area, and a massive font. There was nothing to explain just why the font is so tall. 

DA6954BC-D165-4AC2-9958-6C790D35367F.thumb.jpeg.e3451d64ad3e11e3e6889fea991237b4.jpeg

48E73CE5-68E3-4C3C-84A7-23A22EF70A4A.thumb.jpeg.a682f9e03cdc6a83818199909e03fe5d.jpeg

182FCB33-9416-4899-AECF-CFAF5C03F377.thumb.jpeg.44a019c19a37ab1950229b31fac21870.jpeg

The town itself could be a real Mecca for independent shoppers, with lots of little shops lining the main streets, but it seems that, at present, every second one is a charity shop. It reminded me a lot of Ross on Wye in Herefordshire. 
I did find a nice independent cafe with a hotpotch of tables and crockery. And very friendly. That allowed me to not patronise Costa!

E6965BBD-8A4D-495A-BBE7-A6584CB9F241.thumb.jpeg.5e8964689124c6fd4356fb56a9940685.jpeg

As a plus, there is still a bank in the main street, Lloyds.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

There is much to discover in Norfolk. Beyond the river bank.

Our villages, towns, theatre's, country gardens, local museums, churches and of course a wealth of grand estate halls and country homes. 

Thousands, every year go to Spain, or Greece. Sit on a beach, have a few drinks........and go home.

Bit like the Norfolk Broads in some respect. 

They come and they go. A box ticked.

Old Wussername. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the photos and info Kate. We visited once but soon went up to the coast as we weren’t particularly impressed with the place. It seemed rather run down. Since then we’ve only driven through. Perhaps a return visit is in order next year. 

1 hour ago, kpnut said:

The town itself could be a real Mecca for independent shoppers, with lots of little shops lining the main streets, but it seems that, at present, every second one is a charity shop. It reminded me a lot of Ross on Wye in Herefordshire.

Sadly, I think that applies to far too many of our high streets.  Out of town retail parks, shopping malls, superstores and online shopping have changed our shopping habits and done what I believe to be irrevocable damage to our local towns.

• Sad 1