My Day

LizG

There's plenty of non-covid bugs around at the moment, I've been absolutely floored for about a week with what started out as a cold but been negative all the way through, I'm not one for man-flu but starting to think this one may have been the real deal, the give away was sitting beside a banana knowing I needed to eat but just not having the energy.

• Like 1

Get well soon Mark. I'm crossing my fingers that we don't go down with it again before go to the Broads on the 30th. We had our flu jabs on Monday and I felt really rotten yesterday, better than getting flu though. I've heard on the grapevine that this year's flu is a particularly nasty one. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ExSurveyor said:

After dodging it for nearly 3 years I tested positive for Covid last night. 😷

A bit achey and a head ache ( nothing new there ) so far.

Daughter 1 - caught it twice but waited to this July for the first bout

Daughter 2 - caught it twice (just recovering from 2nd bout but timed it better this year, last year was 7 days before Christmas)

Daughter 3 - not knowingly caught it but countless colds and always negative

Me and Dr G - still once but not taking anything for granted.

Went around a very crowded London Friday and seem to have avoided it????

Get well soon!

Liz

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, kpnut said:

I had an interesting trip to North Walsham 
87BA019D-6282-44F0-A90C-D391A8A057AA.thumb.jpeg.db1f92e493e3e02d8faefeb7da9216ed.jpeg

I agree with everything you wrote. Within a healthy walk there is a decent adults only caravan site and on the outskirts, an antiques centre.

A while since we went but one really good feature was a minor narrow road where the locals had erected full size images of children on boards (I think?) along with their own 20mph speed limit signs. Very effective.

• Like 1

On 13/12/2022 at 18:00, kpnut said:

I had an interesting trip to North Walsham today when making a purchase in toolstation. 
It has a rather good looking market cross in the centre, with a cobbled pedestrianised street (will be once they’ve finished re-laying the setts). 
And a church which....

Welcome to my stomping ground kp’, I hope you had a nice time!

The pedestrianisation may well be a first for a North, if not, Norfolk town and one wonders what Norwich would be like now had the pedestrianisation never happened, just imagine Gentlemen’s Walk where it started. A gentleman by the name of John Palmer was instrumental in making that happen probably in the sixties so it’s only taken half a century for the idea to catch on elsewhere in the county!

As it happens John was a broads sailor who kept a wayfarer dinghy at Hickling sailing club and a pocket motorcruiser on a buoy nearby called Alys, I’m not absolutely sure but I think it was up for sale 20 years ago and advertised as an Ernest Woods design & build, had a transom hung rudder and looking at Craig’s list suspect an estuary type boat originally.

I know the Church well, my youngest was christened there. There is a clinker half model boat on the inside of the south facing wall, when I spoke to the then vicar about it I discovered he was also a sailor and a sea scout.

If anyone decides to visit, the motorcycle museum is right next to the railway station (Norwich bound platform) and the cat pottery is about 100 yards towards town just before you turn hard to port to head for the market place. The hop inn micro pub and Shambles cafe restaurant next door are a stones throw from the market cross and my go tos but there’s something for everyone unless you want a Weatherspoons, the councils dithered and the potential site has become a white elephant of maintenance spend for zero community value imho.

The former Barclays Bank was once the setting for the Tales of the Unexpected episode where robbers moled underground via next door... only to be disappointed when the safes were empty on account of being closed due to industrial action.

Duncan Industries manufactured the Duncan Alvis here with some help with the early timber frames from Herbert Woods and Graham Bunn. I think the business was canned eventually.

The town could get on the broads map again if the canal was brought back into use, a tad hopeful I know, it was only a horse and cart ride down to Spa Common to start a skippered Pleasure wherry holiday from Press Brothers in bygones.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Turnoar said:

Shambles cafe restaurant next door are a stones throw from the market cross and my go tos

That was it! I couldn’t remember it’s name. Thanks. 
So yes, an interesting town that just needs some ‘regeneration’. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Turnoar said:

The town could get on the broads map again if the canal was brought back into use, a tad hopeful I know, it was only a horse and cart ride down to Spa Common to start a skippered Pleasure wherry holiday from Press Brothers in bygones.

What a lovely post! Wish more people would take so much pride in their neighbourhood. 

• Like 1

A friend & neighbour fell on the ice outside her house last night. She couldn't get up and is quite weak and very thin as she's going through a pretty grueling chemo therapy. She phoned us but the phone was engaged, she phoned our other friends and neighbours, they were out. We live in a cul de sac with no street lights in a small village and the temperature was -4, there was  no chance of passers by.

Heaven only knows how but she got back into her house with a broken hip! The other friends eventually came home, checked in on her and called an ambulance. The 12 hour wait turned out to be 'only' 8 hours.

What really makes you stop and think is that although we are all friends and good neighbours with a strong support network if she hadn't somehow got indoors our friend could have very likely died on the pavement outside her home just 100 yards from us!

Take care people.

• Sad 12

Ray, so sorry to read this, I hope your friend recovers, she must have been terrified.

I experienced an act of kindness this week. My dad had an appointment and I had to get him in the car on my parents driveway which slopes a tad, he was sliding all over the ruddy place until some builders next door came and lent a hand in helping me get him in the car. When we got back they had cleared the driveway of ice

My boys took them a tin of sweets , nothing much, just a gesture of thanks. There are still some good people in this world 

:default_xmas6: x

• Like 9
  • Love 2

My day has definitely not gone to plan. 
It was to get some more rooms at mums cleaned, visit a friend, pop into estate agent, go back for more cleaning, then to take car for a new tyre at 4pm. I don’t want to be driving back on numerous motorways for 250 miles with a nail in my tyre. 

the first two things happened, but then had to go straight to garage, 3 hours ahead of schedule as one look at the tyre convinced me it wouldn’t see the day out without being flat. 

So no more cleaning, (as the house will be too dark with all the lamps gone), the estate agent will be shut when I finish,  and 3 hours to kill wandering round a fairly small village with the only cafe shutting too early!

In some ways, it’s nice to be forced to have nothing to do! But I wish it’d stop raining!!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 15/12/2022 at 09:31, Ray said:

What really makes you stop and think is that although we are all friends and good neighbours with a strong support network if she hadn't somehow got indoors our friend could have very likely died on the pavement outside her home just 100 yards from us!

My Mum has a very good alarm pendant that she wears around her neck everywhere during the day, it has built in roaming sim and gps and will connect direct to the monitoring office and they communicate through the pendant, if they can't raise me they call emergency services, they have the code for her keysafe so police/amulance could get into the house if locked.

If she falls it detects it as well as using the button and triggers too and as it doesn't rely on a base station it works anywhere in the country, once when desperate for the loo and trying to unlock the door it triggered a fall alarm as it was flying about round her neck and once when she forgot to take it off at night it triggered as well which was good to know it worked.

This is the one.

https://personalalarms.org/products/SureSafego?gclid=Cj0KCQiA-oqdBhDfARIsAO0TrGGv10I6PjGG-q3lAHDTc24hLtBkDVidaEnkhJZujT3ZiHr9f-HnJPwaAihVEALw_wcB

• Like 1

They are very good, I had a call from my mum's service while out on the boat this year! Couldn't hear a thing, had to hold station on tickover to deal with it.

Mum had put my name top of contacts. She has good friends next door, more 5 minutes away, my brother is 20 minutes away... I'm 200 miles away 🙂🙄🙂

Not such a good day here either was looking forward to Christmas then today heard my youngest niece has had to be sectioned and that our little rescue pup needs double knee surgery 

tree lights just lit I’m trying to feel it xx

58999F0A-40B8-4975-919E-1D4CF16A526A.jpeg

• Sad 8

53 minutes ago, Lulu said:

These alarms are great if they bloomin wear them!  Mother in law, and my grandmother had them. We would say have you got your alarm button? ‘Yes dear, its beside the bed’, or ‘its in the other room ‘🙄

Reminds me of my dad and his TV remote.  He always used to leave it by the television so ‘he knew where it was,’ then moaned about getting up to change the channel when instructed by my mum!

It’s strange how some things get you though.  Although mum’s passing is still relatively recent, I thought I had my emotions under control since her funeral, but looking for a  Christmas card for the wife, I couldn’t help notice that they were in the rack immediately next to the Mum cards.  Must confess that it felt very strange to not buy a card for either parent for the first time.

• Sad 5