My Day

LizG

Without a doubt, so it will still be hand cleaning at least.

The face and space part might be less of an issue depending on how quickly mass vaccination can be achieved.

The problem initially will be getting those who haven't been vaccinated to continue with precautions and not claiming they have had the jab, for that reason I suspect masks are with us for a while.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, psychicsurveyor said:

The problem initially will be getting those who haven't been vaccinated to continue with precautions and not claiming they have had the jab, for that reason I suspect masks are with us for a while.

Those who have had the jab will be having a suitable logo tattooed on their foreheads. Those without will be expected to carry a bell and to pronounce that they are unclean.

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Those who have had the jab will be having a suitable logo tattooed on their foreheads. Those without will be expected to carry a bell and to pronounce that they are unclean.

Many a true word in jest Peter .........i just hope the human rights lawyers are sharpening their claws  i foresee a two tier system emerging not everyone needs vaccination only the vulnerable .i cant put links on the forum but google Dr Mike yeadon ex pfizer, there is no doubt there is a nasty side to this virus but there is a very nasty side in its handling

finny    

• Thanks 1

today was shopping day, unfortunately due to a shortage at B&Q due to resizing the depot, they had no stock of an essential part, so as well as shopping for food i had to visit a second B&Q 10 miles away to complete my essential purchases, my next job today a bit of electrical and plumbing work. i have been waiting to do this work so that i could purchase the required parts on the same shopping trip as my weekly food shop, thus combining all my shopping into a single trip.

so work has been progressing on fitting the shower, just about teatime my daughter called in (as a single person living alone her and her boyfriend are my support bubble, plus she needed a few things to take to her new flat (strangely enough 3 bottles of gin were among the things taken), the shower is up on the wall, I have done the wiring run, just waiting until daylight to turn off the power and wire it into the consumer unit and do the plumbing, a few metres of trunking to hide the wires and then it will be done.

I'm enjoying a proper lazy morning.  It's nearly 1100 and I'm still in my dressing gown.  You know the type, the one with ever raggy cuffs caused by our four legged typhoon.

So what didn't get done yesterday?  I had to detour between collecting material from my supplier in between going back to grout that splashback to our hovel.  MrsG was struggling to cut through the bones in dicing up all that pork so I did as instructed, this lost me about one n half Hrs.

Shotgun measuring will now happen today

Got the daughters ceiling dressing done, today final sand down / knife stoppering

Got the paintwork done in our back bedroom

Still need to visit client for estimate

Back bedroom - Got 3 x double plug sockets to fit along with new ceiling light then curtain poles and curtains to put up. Van - inside and out to sort too.  Have to go to a retail outlet and vegetable shopping for son n partner - They are isolating due to waiting on covid test results.  Mk1a Purdey stair stopper needs doing too.

So, a fairly easy day of it.  Into shower and get mysen movitated.

'Movitated'? What kinda word is that then? - It should read motivated of course

Onwards and upwards as per the norm then Griffin, move yersen man!

Griff

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

so far today i have managed to plumb in the shower, I used one of those freeze kits which worked fine giving me time to cut the pipe, and fit an isolating valve, after which there was no rush to fit in the tee to the shower in the run to the bath taps (it being the only piece of pipe long enough to cut and fit a tee and an isolating valve), after this it was a matter of shutting down the electrics and wiring into the spare way on the consumer unit. then power back up i needed to commission the shower following a set procedure.

Although the shower is technically a 10kW one, i have commissioned it as 5kW by disconnecting one of the heater elements inside, this is because as i have explained elsewhere the electricity supply to the house would be on its limits at 10kW, and might possibly trip if the additional load of the cooker were used at the same time as the 64A cutout only allows for about 14kW.

anyway it runs, gets warm enough with enough pressure, not super hot, not extreme pressure, but good enough. its been fitted in such a way as i can upgrade to a 7.5kW shower if i wish, its just i have had this unit sitting there for over 5 years waiting until i was in a position to actually fit it, it was new in box but not new when i got it. at least now there is no-one to complain that its not hot enough, or whatever.

just got to fit the conduit runs around the wiring now.

12 minutes ago, grendel said:

so far today i have managed to plumb in the shower, I used one of those freeze kits which worked fine giving me time to cut the pipe, and fit an isolating valve,

A word of caution on freezer kits and isolation: I used a freezer kit - perfect. I used another one and being over confident, must have done something not quite right and it thawed! The main isloator to the house had seized up and we had a flood. Severn Trent were useless and we ended up hammering a pipe flat to stop the water.

Lesson: check the main isolator first!

But by grendel's normal standard of work, I imagine his copper pipes shine like a ship's engine room! :default_biggrin:

• Like 1

Main isolaters, turn them fully closed then fully open and then close them just past half a turn. That way you normally can wiggle them free if they become become stuck. Another trick on a stuck valve is to slacken off the top hexagonal nut three quarters of a turn and soak in WD40, tighten the nut afterwards though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

main isoator worked fine, shiney pipes, well where the paint was they were cleaned up with sandpaper and wire wool until they gleamed before I fitted the compression fitting, no leaks so far i did manage to buy a 3m length of 15mm copper pipe, but then I found a 1m flexible 15mm to 15mm hose, so the last metre up the wall is now flexible, i ended up using  less than 300mm of the 3m pipe.plus i have the added bonus of an isolating valve in the cold line to the shower and bath, I always fit an isolating valve if I am working on a water pipe, so most things now can be changed with just shutting off the main isolator and closing a valve. rather than draining the whole tank in the loft.

4 minutes ago, grendel said:

main isoator worked fine, shiney pipes, well where the paint was they were cleaned up with sandpaper and wire wool until they gleamed before I fitted the compression fitting, no leaks so far i did manage to buy a 3m length of 15mm copper pipe, but then I found a 1m flexible 15mm to 15mm hose, so the last metre up the wall is now flexible, i ended up using  less than 300mm of the 3m pipe.plus i have the added bonus of an isolating valve in the cold line to the shower and bath, I always fit an isolating valve if I am working on a water pipe, so most things now can be changed with just shutting off the main isolator and closing a valve. rather than draining the whole tank in the loft.

Soon as I see those flexible copper pipes I know it was a DIY job and a word to the wise if I may, always use Full Bore iso valves otherwise the flow of water is restricted through the valve.

• Like 1

My mains water isolator is in the gravel path running down the side of the house and involves lying face down with arm at full extension to reach it... There are no Isolators in the house other than those I've fitted.. Some time in the future the bathroom will get a refit and individual isolators will be the first task..

Meanwhile.. My Day or rather weekend, was mostly spent making and fitting internal doors to the workshop being built inside the  garage.. They are made, they work, but still need handles and catches.

The ring main was extended to 3/4 of the workshop area, so there are now power sockets either side of the work bench. The cable at the back of the workbench,  which will include a socket for the radio, is all that's left of that to do to form the ring. But ... There is a keel in the way..

So I backed off the keel bolts holding the lead lump to the wooden keel stub, filled the gap with thick bonding resin wound the bolts back up again, formed a fillet on the side I could get to, scraped of excess on the other..

Next week the adventure of getting 150KG+ off the work bench and onto the floor so I can do the fillet the other side before fibreglassing the whole assembly.

When our house was built, it was fitted with plastic isolator valves on all water outlets. Great, I thought, until I came to have to use them, at which point I found that they didn't actually isolate, but allowed a trickle of water through when turned fully off. I then found that after you abandon your plumbing job and turn the isolator back on, it continues to weep at an unacceptable level. I am now of the view that plastic isolators are not to be trusted over time and have laid in a stock of metal valves, which I use to replace the plastic ones whenever a plumbing job needs to be done.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

i once had the isolator on the bypass for topping up the central heating fail, in the open position as i was topping up the pressure, it seems the internal rubber o ring got itself wedged into the hole through the ball valve, i replaced it with a gate valve.

Most of those ball valves tend to leak once they've been used a bit, yeah.

I've got the metal ones on the central heating system because while I can live with turning the fresh water supply off for a bit, I don't want to be draining the whole C/H system in the winter to replace yet another leaking TRV or radiator. And you only notice the problem in the colder months, naturally.

Gate valves are probably the best, but they're quite big and obtrusive, cost about a tenner each and it takes longer to turn them off in an emergency.

My day, I cut my left index finger needing a plaster, now I cannot unlock my phone unless I use the pass code.

3 things learnt.

Do not use index finger when grouting, it can hurt.

Avoid doing any more DIY during any future lockdowns.

Must program more fingers into phone.

A big plus Jill is very happy with the re-done shower room, new units fitted sink etc. 

paul

In my defence. I will say, it would have entailled pulling the fuse (illuminated/heated mirror) takeing 8 screws out disconnecting the supply and then the reverse proceedure.

I know because I had only fitted it 2 days earlier.

Then the executive decided it would look better with the sides tiled.

Anyway shower room refitted.

paul

20201117_153235.jpg

20201117_153213.jpg

• Like 3

I get a phone call from a lady in the neighbouring village early on last week.  She is proper upset on the phone, in tears.  She tells me that a couple of tiles are lifting in the kitchen AND bathroom floors.  The solid oak flooring is lifting in the hallway too.  The property is a bungalow.  She has been visited by a building inspector, gas chap and two plumbers who are all scratching their heads.  Could I go and have a look? 

Wednesday and I'm at hers at around 1830.  First impressions is that this property is immaculate both inside and out.  She is a single retired lady and a worrier too.  I calm her down ref worrying - waste of time is that, the bungalow is not going to fall down, roof blow off or catch fire.

Just what she expects me to do?  My best guess is that there is either a water leak somewhere that seems to be affecting four different areas that are well spaced out or even subsidence?  Apparently she has found an outfit that will come out with thermal imagine for a price - £800 just to find the leak if there is one but not fix it - Wow.  If they can't find the leak then they won't charge her - Chuffin eck - that's a lot of money but if it is a leak it has to be found

So, after using one's port and Stbd lookouts, they are not telling me source of the problem.  Employ ones intakes. I'm next into removing drawers in the kitchen, getting into cupboards, behind kickboards - Yes its smelling damp and musty - it's definitely a water issue

I pass this onto her and advise her to get the plumbers back in.  I also suggest that the bath side needs to come off - However it has been fully tiled and it is now way past 1900 and I'm yet again on another 12 x Hr day

Another call, she has had the plumbers back in, one of them agrees with me that under the bath needs inspection but they are fearful of gaining access without doing damage

Yesterday, Saturday forenoon - A supposed to be day off (It wasn't) and I am back at hers, still no solution.  The bath side has a run of vertical mosaics in the middle - Does she have any spare mosaics? - She does!

Just over an hour later I am packing up.  I have removed the mosaics, cut into and removed a section of plywood to expose the underside of the bath. Done a neat job too, this can easily be re-tiled and made good.  More importantly found the problem and the source

The bath bottle trap, the 40mm pipe carrying waste water outside the property was completely off the trap.  The lady of the house informed me she had a full bath every evening.  The problem started FOUR WEEKS ago after the gas board had renewed supply pipes and had been working outside by the gully.

That's four weeks of bathing at 100 x Ltrs / 22 gallons of waste water per day soaking into the timber tongued and grooved flooring, thank goodness it wasn't chipboard.  No wonder it was spreading throughout the house.  I fixed the leak - that is joined the pipework back up, went outside for a look-see,   It could do with a longer waste pipe and some supports on it - She has called a plumber to do this for her.  It's gonna take a couple of months to get the property dried out, fortunately she has a dehumidifier that is now running 24/7 by the 'inspection' hole in the bath side.

Needless to say she was over the moon with me.  Found the source of the problem, saved her £800 for a thermal inspection.  Plumber can make good for next to nowt.  It will dry out naturally then in January I can do some remedial floor tiling where required.

My charge? just one hours labour please.

She wasn't having that and offered my £50 - As if I charge £50 per Hr? (I wish) so that was turned down instantly 

So instead, I got my 1 x Hrs labour price,  My MrsG got a bunch of flowers and I got a kiss! (Kiss of the client - obviously)

Another satisfied client.

Job done

Griff

• Like 9

Nice one Griff, have to say it doesn`t sound like the plumbers were any good if they couldn`t find that and what was a gas man was doing there. I have seen plenty of pretty bathrooms over the years giving me no access to pipes and connections and have come to the conclusion that some trades just don`t care.  

1 hour ago, BroadAmbition said:

I get a phone call from a lady in the neighbouring village early on last week.  She is proper upset on the phone, in tears.  She tells me that a couple of tiles are lifting in the kitchen AND bathroom floors.  The solid oak flooring is lifting in the hallway too.  The property is a bungalow.  She has been visited by a building inspector, gas chap and two plumbers who are all scratching their heads.  Could I go and have a look? 

Wednesday and I'm at hers at around 1830.  First impressions is that this property is immaculate both inside and out.  She is a single retired lady and a worrier too.  I calm her down ref worrying - waste of time is that, the bungalow is not going to fall down, roof blow off or catch fire.

Just what she expects me to do?  My best guess is that there is either a water leak somewhere that seems to be affecting four different areas that are well spaced out or even subsidence?  Apparently she has found an outfit that will come out with thermal imagine for a price - £800 just to find the leak if there is one but not fix it - Wow.  If they can't find the leak then they won't charge her - Chuffin eck - that's a lot of money but if it is a leak it has to be found

So, after using one's port and Stbd lookouts, they are not telling me source of the problem.  Employ ones intakes. I'm next into removing drawers in the kitchen, getting into cupboards, behind kickboards - Yes its smelling damp and musty - it's definitely a water issue

I pass this onto her and advise her to get the plumbers back in.  I also suggest that the bath side needs to come off - However it has been fully tiled and it is now way past 1900 and I'm yet again on another 12 x Hr day

Another call, she has had the plumbers back in, one of them agrees with me that under the bath needs inspection but they are fearful of gaining access without doing damage

Yesterday, Saturday forenoon - A supposed to be day off (It wasn't) and I am back at hers, still no solution.  The bath side has a run of vertical mosaics in the middle - Does she have any spare mosaics? - She does!

Just over an hour later I am packing up.  I have removed the mosaics, cut into and removed a section of plywood to expose the underside of the bath. Done a neat job too, this can easily be re-tiled and made good.  More importantly found the problem and the source

The bath bottle trap, the 40mm pipe carrying waste water outside the property was completely off the trap.  The lady of the house informed me she had a full bath every evening.  The problem started FOUR WEEKS ago after the gas board had renewed supply pipes and had been working outside by the gully.

That's four weeks of bathing at 100 x Ltrs / 22 gallons of waste water per day soaking into the timber tongued and grooved flooring, thank goodness it wasn't chipboard.  No wonder it was spreading throughout the house.  I fixed the leak - that is joined the pipework back up, went outside for a look-see,   It could do with a longer waste pipe and some supports on it - She has called a plumber to do this for her.  It's gonna take a couple of months to get the property dried out, fortunately she has a dehumidifier that is now running 24/7 by the 'inspection' hole in the bath side.

Needless to say she was over the moon with me.  Found the source of the problem, saved her £800 for a thermal inspection.  Plumber can make good for next to nowt.  It will dry out naturally then in January I can do some remedial floor tiling where required.

My charge? just one hours labour please.

She wasn't having that and offered my £50 - As if I charge £50 per Hr? (I wish) so that was turned down instantly 

So instead, I got my 1 x Hrs labour price,  My MrsG got a bunch of flowers and I got a kiss! (Kiss of the client - obviously)

Another satisfied client.

Job done

Griff

Spot on with your original instincts Griff.

I have lost count of the number of these 'wet floors' I have looked at over the years.

Thermal cameras are great, and hideously expensive ( 3k+ ) but are useless on timber floors.

I used to charge £150  for the same service and always advised the owners to have all the supply and waste pipes inspected.

When a plumber reported that there were no leaks my response was, there is, you just haven't found it.

A water leak will spread the full extent of a solid floor and any abutting areas.

The worst one I found was identical, detatched bath waste. missed on 6 visits by British Gas.

The drying time for the concrete beneath the timber floor will be around six months but the bath area will be quicker with a dehumidifier.

Water on the loose in a house is a nightmare.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

and what was a gas man was doing there. 

Easy answer there.  In desperation she had called them out as the issue came to light about a week or so after the gas crowd had replaced the supply pipes to her property right up to the meter (They have been doing this throughout the village, did our village a couple of months ago now) The gas supply went into the house next to the gully where the bath waste pipe is situated.  They had obviously disturbed it outside and consequently separated it from the bottle trap under the bath without knowing it (He cynically says) If the original plumber had done his job properly with supports and a longer pipe this would have never happened, nor would it have happened is the gas crowd had taken more care.  All they told her was that it seemed a bit loose outside, so no definitive answer for her from them, or the plumbers / building inspector who all failed to find it

Griff

• Like 2