My Day

LizG

10 minutes ago, SwanR said:

It certainly was a shame about the weather Liz although probably wise to get it done while you could. Very atmospheric photos and your grandson looks so sweet.

We did something similar today, a rendezvous at a service station to exchange presents with one of our family. It was absolutely pouring with rain so we couldn't even stand outside at a safe distance to chat. Instead we were sat in our respective cars, windows part way down, having a socially distanced conversation for about 30 minutes before one person got out and moved the bags between cars.

We had taken a flask of coffee with us so had that before we drove home ... in the rain! Could have been worse, at least it wasn't snow and ice or the thick fog we had yesterday.

We did go in but both daughter 1 and myself are working in Covid secure environments and son in law on furlough so grandad read a story

IMG_20201213_122616_545.jpg

• Love 2

Liz, Love the photo of Grandad doing a socially distanced story, they are both cuties!

My day involved going back to church to play the organ in a service for the first time since March. It was lovely to be back and see friends again, but quite strange. I guess just something new to get used to. There’s a limit on 20 people per service, one per pew as we are such a small church. Playing the organ whilst wearing a mask wasn’t easy either, as my glasses were tending to stream up, more so because the church was so cold my fingers were numb. Maybe colder than usual due to lack of use recently.

The church I go to was originally built for a very tiny village, now swallowed up by Milton Keynes. If anyone is familiar with MK, it’s the church at the north end of the Willen Lakes, just behind the hospice. It’s unusual, having been built in the 1660s to replace an earlier building. Inside it has pink walls and white plaster work on the ceiling with cherubs. A bit unexpected really, but lovely. It looks like one of the London churches built just after the Fire of London, and was designed by one of the architects of the London rebuild, Robert Hooke who was also a scientist. 

The rebuild was funded by the headmaster of Westminster School, Richard Busby, so our little church has a connectIon to Westminister Abbey to this day. We had a special visit to Westminister a couple of year back for Evensong and a chance for a tour around without any tourists. 

• Like 4

My day completed a crap week and it is only Thursday.

Never buy a car with air suspension.

The near side rear air strut failed on monday,  they replaced it and put it back together only to find the off side one then failed. That is an arm and a leg gone.

Today I found out I need a boiler replaced, the cost of which is the same as the suspension.

That is my other arm and leg gone.

I am not getting out of bed tomorrow and I am turning the phone off :default_biggrin:

• Haha 4
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, psychicsurveyor said:

My day completed a crap week and it is only Thursday.

Never buy a car with air suspension.

The near side rear air strut failed on monday,  they replaced it and put it back together only to find the off side one then failed. That is an arm and a leg gone.

Today I found out I need a boiler replaced, the cost of which is the same as the suspension.

That is my other arm and leg gone.

I am not getting out of bed tomorrow and I am turning the phone off :default_biggrin:

So now we can write anything we like about you because you can't use the keyboard and you can't run after us.

Also, you won't be needing the car as you have nothing to hold the steering wheel or press the pedals with, so it was all a waste of money anyway.

It sounds like a car with air suspension and multiple boilers???

Yep, crap week, stay in bed mate. :default_smiley-char054::default_sailing:

• Haha 2

Had a bad week myself too but now the children are off and it's the run up to that all important day, Christmas Eve, it's the best and most magical day of the year with the kids. Something to look forward to. We go into tier 3 from midnight, I know a lot of us will be, take care and stay safe all of you x

:default_xmas6:

Edited to add this is not a Covid thread, sorry, we've had enough of that I reckon  :default_biggrin:

• Like 7
  • Love 1

This afternoon I iced the Christmas cake and as I was putting it safely in it's tin it ocurred to me that it had been a remarkably quick process. Then to my horor I realised why, I had forgottern to "feed " the cake before icing it. A Christmas cake sans brandy? Unthinkable!!! so decorations very carefully removed.  Cake even more carefully inverted onto a layer of non-stick tin foil,copious quantities of brandy poured in though holes made with skewer, eveything re-assembled,cake looking non-the- worse for its disturbance  safely back in its tin. Disaster averted.

Carole

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

A sad day today, we're going into tier 4 as from midnight. I'm okay, I have my children and parents but there are so many people who are going to be alone, it's so sad. Other than knocking on doors and checking people are okay there's not much we can do

This is not a Covid thread, I just needed to say about it is all

Please take care, stay well and look out for each other :default_icon_kiss:

:default_xmas6:

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

The way I see it is that if tier 3 failed to control the problem, then it was inevitable that a tier 4 would be needed. It wouldn't surprise me if a tier 5 comes along sooner or later, total lockdown with bells on.

To be honest the only thing which irritates me is the number of people who think that certain things are essential. They are not. Sport is not an essential. Haircuts, tattoos, gyms and pubs/restaurants are not essential.

Take the guy sleeping rough (and there are plenty of them) and ask him what is and is not essential. Ask the pensioner who is having to choose between "Heat or eat" what is essential. Oh and don't start me on "mental wellbeing", the problem all sorts of people seem to be having if they can't have their own way.

No, I've had enough of peoples whinging. Put everyone on tier 9, only to be released from it when they have been inoculated.  

Rant over?,. nah not even started yet!

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

Tier 4 is being reviewed  end of the year.Perhaps things may ease.Lets hope so.

Certainly hope so too.

Apparently there are persons in York city centre well the worse for wear. Possibly from Tier 3 areas? (York is Tier 2) There's always some. 

But, let's remain hopeful!