My Day

LizG

A little win, and a sad loss.

When Breydon was born, nearly three years ago we bought new stairgates, despite having the ones leftover from when Jamie was little. They were posh black metal and dark wood ones from Argos. We bought two, plus two extension pieces for each so they would close off the hallway and landing at the top and bottom of the stairs, rather than have to fit on the stairs themselves. 

To be honest, they looked good but were rubbish. Within days the wooden gate sections were working loose and within a couple of months they "hung" on the hinges to such an extent they wouldn't swing closed properly. Then one broke completely and when I tried to return it Argos told me it was damage caused by misuse and that was not covered under warranty. The kids will grab hold of the gate and rattle it, and that is what has caused the damage, my argument being that a child stairgate should be built to withstand that, Argos disagreed. The broken one was replaced, at my expense, stupidly with another of the same to maintain "the look". It was no better than the first two.

CAB then Trading Standards got involved. TS had already had a number of complaints about these gates, not latching properly, breaking and splintering and they sent me a form to fill in and told me to keep the gates in case they were needed as evidence. Over a year later I had an email from Argos to advise the product had been recalled due to a number of technical faults which might render them dangerous. Then came the pandemic. I finally took them back to our local store today and received a full refund. 

The sad loss? Well driving home I notice building work has started on the old golf course. Back in the 1980s the local district council built the town a golf course. It was one of the best things they had ever done. OK, not much of a golf course but it proved very popular, 9 holes inc a couple of par 4s and a par 5. Pay and play. For years it was £3 for 9 holes are £5 to go round twice and play 18, Par 62. It proved so popular that the price increased at weekends to £5/8

When it first opened my father was responsible for collecting the money and issuing tickets, as he was the fishing warden at the leisure center ponds and the golf course was built partly around the lake and across a couple of fields alongside the bypass. I played two or three times a week. There were a few quite challenging shots needed, a par five with a narrow fairway needing accuracy off the tee, a dog leg par four where you had to choose to lay up well short of the green or try drawing around the corner and risking the OOB. It was no St Andrews but we liked it. 

If the warden was not around we would right our names on a piece of paper with the time we started and tuck into the door frame of his hut. He'd either wander round and collect the fees when he got back or wait for us to finish and collect it as we left. All very pleasant, very relaxed. It was taking on average £1000 per week, over double the income from the fishing lakes. 

Then came the recession and the golf course was closed. It was maintained by the parks department, who lost 4 out of every 5 members of staff to the cutbacks. The fishing warden was also made redundant and fishing tickets had be be obtained from the leisure center reception. There was no longer anyone available to mow and maintain the golf course or to collect the money and so the precious little asset, both in terms of income, and community facility was lost. 

It was no surprise that as soon as the course was closed the land alongside the bypass was acquired by the county council for "future development". 

Having lay waste for a number of years the bulldozers moved on to the land this morning, leveling the site so that work can begin on a new Burger King and Pizza Hut complex, right next to the existing McDonalds and KFC. It's only a small town, it doesn't need all these drive throughs. The KFC is empty 90% of the time, the site is so run down and infested with vermin, anyone who knows the place won't touch it with a barge pole. These new outlets are not needed. Alongside there are two hundred and sixty houses to be built, on a plot not much larger than the old church yard, how on earth they expect to shoe horn so many houses in I don't know. This will mean another two new roundabouts on the bypass, this will take it to 8 in less than two miles. 

The bypass is so slow nowadays that locals drive through the town again, it's quicker. We'll soon need a bypass to bypass the bypass. 

• Sad 4

Wasn't quite sure whether to put this in car talk, or my day, much of it could feature in either. 

I should have had an inkling that this would not be a good day when the phone rang just after 9.00am, my car insurance company. Now, following Griff's "adventures" with his windscreen i hesitate to raise the issue again, but last year when travelling along the M5 a bolt detached from a bicycle on a roof rack as it went past us, hitting the passenger side of the windscreen and chipping it. The insurance company sent a man to repair the chip, which he did. He did advise it would not fully hide the chip, but actually it didn't hide it at all, it was still just as visible. I contacted the insurance company as I wasn't happy with this but they said as I had given my consent the repair was all they could do. Yesterday, just as i drove up the street whilst lowering the roof the chip cracked, in for directions, up down left and right. I rang the insurance company who advised the windscreen company would contact me to arrange replacement. 

The call this morning was to say they cannot accept the claim, as they have already settled a claim on this damage. To say I went ballistic is an understatement. Anyway, that one's ongoing.

A little after 10:00 the company that should have been collecting my Honda CRV rang to say that they could not make it today as arrange, the next date they can collect it is Monday, which is no good as we will be in Norfolk (Hallelujah!) . I have arranged for them to collect it when we get back, but it's far from the quote today / collect tomorrow promise on their advertising. The MOT runs out whilst we are away, so I shall have to move the caravans, trailers and the boat around now so I can get it on the driveway. 

So, I thought to get some unwind time I would mow the lawns, especially as one of them is likely to become a boat park in the near future, but the mowers won't start - neither of them. I've cleaned carbs, I've changed air filters and spark plugs, I've been to the garage and got fresh petrol, I've removed and cleaned ignition coils, I have a good spark on both, fuel is flowing, both fire up with a shot of easy start, then fade away and stubbornly refuse to restart.

So i sit down with some stilton and pork pie for me tea and log on to the forums. I only frequent two nowadays, this and one about caravans, only to find on the one that isn't this one an outrageous personal attack because I dared to suggest that a certain brand of continental caravan was not as good as some people made out, based on the fact that my grandparents had one in the 70s and it was rubbish and that there have been a number of people posting with issues about them on the forum in recent weeks. Now I'm pretty think skinned, I know my opinions can sometimes be contrary to others, and I will stick up for them and when people stick up for their different opinion (obviously incorrect:default_biggrin:) I don't take it personally and never hold a grudge. But this post, from a moderator no less really upset me. 

As a result I've been a real grump futtock all evening. Still, tomorrow is another day. It will start with two lawn mowers and a two stone sledge hammer. 

I haven't checked this evening's lottery numbers, I don't think I'll bother. 

• Sad 5

Chin up Paul, I too have had days like this recently and it really does make you boil over in rage. After a while you consider all a little more calmly and, yes, feel no better at all. I spent a good while putting together a few very carefully worded but bitter and critical and sent these off both by email and snail mail, Eventually these excrement holes do contact you in very syrupy manners and try and repair the situation. Oh no by jiminy! You must try harder than that I think and continue to bombard them with very pointed correspondence. It does not totally mend the situation but it really does make me feel a lot better. Very best of luck Paul.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 19/06/2020 at 10:38, petersjoy said:

Even after 14 years owining it i still enjoy the drive there and back, many years averaging twice a month.

Apart from one other time this was the longest time since just before lockdown that i haven't been to the boat.

Can't wait to be able to stop there overnight again.

Hoping for a week from 8th august for our honeymoon if the wedding can still go ahead on the 7th.

A quick update, the wedding goes ahead tomorrow, myself and my wife Elaine will be heading to the boat on Sunday for a weeks honeymoon, i will be putting some bunting and banners on the boat so if you see us about give us a shout, if you are moored near us i'll apologise now if there's any boat rocking happens. :8_laughing:

• Like 7

1 hour ago, petersjoy said:

A quick update, the wedding goes ahead tomorrow, myself and my wife Elaine will be heading to the boat on Sunday for a weeks honeymoon, i will be putting some bunting and banners on the boat so if you see us about give us a shout, if you are moored near us i'll apologise now if there's any boat rocking happens. :8_laughing:

Congratulations! Have a wonderful day (and honeymoon)! :default_biggrin:

9 hours ago, petersjoy said:

Towing tin cans on a string might slow you down.. 

• Haha 1

I've spent the week repairing the eaves of the mobile home in the garden,  later it's time to water proof it all.  The heat should help that. 

But first I'm off down to the boat yard to see how the boat test/ antifouling / service is going on. 

Horning sailing club's,  very limited regatta on black horse broad appears to  be going well. Sadly I cant go down due to the limited numbers allowed. 

• Like 1

Following a beautiful early morning walk on the beach.

20200807_075603.thumb.jpg.c02dd150ac573d244ad8c1aa1d5fa43e.jpg

20200807_075558.thumb.jpg.12c135d8dd947ab723719a358799ce77.jpg

I am stuck indoors, fans on all windows closed. The combines have started, there is so much dust and chaff on 2 sides of my land you can't even see the machines.

20200807_141419.thumb.jpg.8d0cfa079f49ef0b5eda3c8f7c073e14.jpg

20200807_141431.thumb.jpg.a10245a1566a54229fb80a6233cb9d4a.jpg

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I have just worked out that due to the virus, and other outside influences it is 293 days since I was last in Norfolk. I am 99% certain that that is the longest absence from the county since I was born, 53 years ago. 

• Like 1

Never mind Cris they don't take long to cut a field these days my sister has this problem her farmer lets her know and they take a day out or visite use until its over. the same when stuck behind a tractor on the road i just say to my self that's my food supply for the year. John