Danger Concern Over Weed On Hickling

Boaters

It was indeed and my parents often used to drink there with Miles and his wife while Pat and I, not old enough to go in the club, were left outside to play on the M&GN railway line, which is now the main road from Stalham to Potter.

Pat and I reckoned we knew the car parks of pretty well every pub in Norfolk!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vaughan said:

It was indeed and my parents often used to drink there with Miles and his wife while Pat and I, not old enough to go in the club, were left outside to play on the M&GN railway line, which is now the main road from Stalham to Potter.

Pat and I reckoned we knew the car parks of pretty well every pub in Norfolk!

Please allow me a personal memory  by Vaughan. Grandad, the uncles,, all boating people, boatyard owners would meet at the Three Horseshoe's at North Cove. Between Lowestoft and Beccles after a feed of fish (probably nicked from Lowestoft market) 

And there we sat the cousins. In the back of one of the cars. Probably about five of us. In quivering anticipation.

A bottle of coke, each, and a bag of Smith's crisps was delivered by an Aunt. . And a blue bag of salt inside the bag of crisps. Magic. 

And, when they all returned to take us home they were so happy, laughing and pleased to see us. Strange that!

Edited by Wussername
Typo
  • Like 6

You must be younger than me, I to had the Smiths Crisps with the twist of soggy salt but the only drink available with a straw in the ale only houses around Chorleywood in the 50s was lemonade. My first taste of Coke was at a friends who's father was an American Airman and that Coke came from the PX on The South Ruislip Base.

OK, here we go off topic again, but lovely memories of Norfolk in the 50s.

My parents had two kinds of pubs - Broads pubs in the summer, and "shooting" pubs in the winter. Pat Simpson and I, along with others of our age, such as Peter Jeckells, David Moore, Michael Mack and many others, were left in the car park to amuse ourselves and often got into more trouble than we would have, if we had been allowed in the pub! We were indeed fed with a lot of Smiths crisps, Coke, and other soft drinks. Remember "Apricot Nectar"?

I think it is rather poignant that the Horse and Groom in Tunstead, one of our parents' favourite shooting pubs, has now been taken over by Pat Simpson and his partner Gillie, and he now finds himself on the other side of the bar!

5 minutes ago, ChrisB said:

You must be younger than me, I to had the Smiths Crisps with the twist of soggy salt but the only drink available with a straw in the ale only houses around Chorleywood in the 50s was lemonade. My first taste of Coke was at a friends who's father was an American Airman andQuote that Coke came from the PX on The South Ruislip Base.

My first taste of Coke Cola was in the mid to late 50's in a thick glass bottle from a cooler dispenser in Roberts Brother restaurant in Sheffield , to be honest for many years I have chosen not to drink the stuff.

Regarding crisps in those days there was only Smiths and all the kids just wanted to find the bags that had more than one twisted blue salt bag.

Regards

Alan 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Polly said:

Ours were midland fishing pubs and the car park pop was Vimto. :default_beerchug:

I had an Aunt who lived in New Brighton the cafes and stalls did warm Vimto there. I loved going there crossing the Mersey on the Royal Daffodil and Iris.

• Thanks 1

I dreaded getting a bag of crisps sent out with the Ben Shaws dandelion and burdock as it meant Uncle Albert had met a like minded individual and would be yapping for hours while I froze in the car listening to Friday Night is Music Night on the radio. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Wussername said:

Please allow me a personal memory  by Vaughan. Grandad, the uncles,, all boating people, boatyard owners would meet at the Three Horseshoe's at North Cove. Between Lowestoft and Beccles after a feed of fish (probably nicked from Lowestoft market) 

And there we sat the cousins. In the back of one of the cars. Probably about five of us. In quivering anticipation.

A bottle of coke, each, and a bag of Smith's crisps was delivered by an Aunt. . And a blue bag of salt inside the bag of crisps. Magic. 

And, when they all returned to take us home they were so happy, laughing and pleased to see us. Strange that!

The fish was generally a bass bag full of prime fish that crew members were allowed to take home. They were generally paid for with joints of beef. Now, where did the beef come from? The barter system for prime food was alive and well at North Cove back then, probably a hangover from WWII. My uncle was a farmer and he live just up the road at South Cove, he was very partial to a decent sole! For me it was ginger beer.  

Strangely enough I was speaking to an old boy today who, with his father, used to poach both the Somerleyton and Benacre estates, using ammunition and a sniper's gun that the father had been supplied with by HM Government should the dastardly Hun have invaded. His cache of ammunition lasted well into the late 1960's. I got the impression that the food chain started with pheasants! 

• Like 1

When I was cabbing in Bishops Stortford, I remember sitting in my cab waiting for business outside an establishment  and wondering just how much Coke these kids sitting in the cars could drink. there were loads of them. Some playing in the car park, others just sitting in the cars and a few fast asleep. Drinks, snacks etc. were being taken out to the cars by their caring parents.

Oh, I forgot top mention this was at 02:00 on a Saturday morning. Hmmmm.

I remember in the '60s going for walks, (we didnt have a car) when a pub was found , myself and my sister were sat at a bench outside with a glass of lemonade (R Whites finest). food was supplied early on in the walk, as we passed the corner shop on the way out, a 1d gobstopper each, kept us quiet for hours as we had nowhere to put them but in our gobs.

On 30/08/2017 at 12:39, grendel said:

is the channel wide enough for a sailing boat to tack along it without going outside the markers?

Yes, thankfully. We ventured outside a few months ago - which used to be no problem... won't be doing that now!  If a Pippin 20 lift keel got fouled up, our Pegasus would get in a mess...  It's a shame not to be able to venture further out, but if the navigation channel remains clear I'll appreciate that...  Hunter yachts draw less than we do...

On ‎02‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 07:50, ranworthbreeze said:

Wow that is a blast from past, it just struck a chord, I can remember that. Radio back in the day was used more than the TV; well at least in our house.

Regards

Alan

What do you mean blast from the past? it's still on now, we have that on the radio every Friday night at Broadland Model Railway Club.