Is It Possible To Have Some Control Over River Water Levels?

Thiswan

If Tap A fills a bath in 4 minutes, and tap B fills it in 5 minutes, if taking the plug out empties the bath in 7 minutes, how long will it take to fill the bath if both taps are opened and the plug taken out? I don't know. What's that got to do with this topic? Well, it seems to me there are a lot more variables than two taps and one plug hole to consider, and if you get the wrong answer, the consequences might be a lot worse than an empty bath or flooded floor!

Ray, It's simple.

If the rate of flow decreases, then the same amount of water flows out so levels remain the same. If the rate of flow remains the same then more water gets out and levels drop.

So, this would mean, in practical terms, if I were heading from Bernie arms to Hickling, it would be easier and use less fuel if the rate drops, but I still wouldn't get under Potter bridge because the levels would still be up. However, if the rate remains the same,  the clearance under Potter would be better, but having punched that massive tidal flow, I wouldn't make it to the bloody bridge anyway.

Always look on the bright side of life

Of course if a deeper river runs slower it also drops more sediment and gets shallower again.

I doubt there will ever be a simple solution, the fact is these watercourses have always been changing in their nature and we are probably weeing in the wind trying to stop them, the same as the coastlines have always been changing but now it's a problem because we insist on building on the tops of the soft bits and then complain when they disappear under us.

On 18/11/2018 at 23:24, FairTmiddlin said:

If my broads history serves me right and this is going back some time, when I used to talk to the Herringfleet marshmen back in the 60's.

And again in the 2000's  https://www.greatyarmouthmercury.co.uk/news/yarmouth-flood-barrier-planned-1-501595

https://www.greatyarmouthmercury.co.uk/news/tidal-power-could-happen-on-river-yare-in-four-years-1-792412

I also remember attending a presentation on a plan in the 1990s. The late Dr Martin George was the main speaker, he was strongly in favour. The strongest lobby however was from the RSPB who wanted Halvergate Island to be flooded, withe the mash farmers there chucked off. Fortunately that plan came to nothing.

Sadly we wre left with the mess that we now have on the Northern rivers which has destroyed views across iconic Broadland scenery from most boats.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Thiswan said:

Oh no, I think I,'ve done it again! sabbatical for me I think

Don't you worry! This is a subject we often agonise about on this forum, as it is close to all our hearts! As a lover of the Broads yourself, you are quite right to be concerned about it!

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Thiswan said:

I should have just asked what could be done about getting through the Potter Heigham bridge

hire a boat from Martham boats, then if you cant get under the bridge - you are the right side to explore those quiet waters anyway (the number of days a Martham boat cant get under that bridge can probably be counted on the toes of one foot

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, grendel said:

hire a boat from Martham boats, then if you cant get under the bridge - you are the right side to explore those quiet waters anyway (the number of days a Martham boat cant get under that bridge can probably be counted on the toes of one foot

lovely old wooden boats, though I have seen some of their old ones moved into the sheds to take a mould off of the old hulls, maybe they will be bringing out some new traditional boats with fibreglass bottoms and wooden tops, be nice if they do.

1 minute ago, Thiswan said:

That's not one of those Norfolk jokes, is it? nothing to do with me 

Thats Norfolk through and through, like the webs joining the toes.

Hi all love this topic of northern broads, not getting through the bridge , 

Higher a martham boat , they don't have a problem with any of their boats getting through bridge,  

Better still have a week on top side of the bridge and enjoy the quiet no hassle moorings,lwildlife in abundace,  wide waterways, walks and lots to see,

• Thanks 1