John Knight And Joan Hanford Info Required

JamesLV

Just discussing our forthcoming trip to the Broads with the in-laws and it turns out they know some folk who ran a boat out of Gt. Yarmouth, names were apparently John Knight and Joan Hanford and the name the golden galleon has been mentioned.

Do any of you lovely lot know anything about any of this?

17 minutes ago, JamesLV said:

Just discussing our forthcoming trip to the Broads with the in-laws and it turns out they know some folk who ran a boat out of Gt. Yarmouth, names were apparently John Knight and Joan Hanford and the name the golden galleon has been mentioned.

Do any of you lovely lot know anything about any of this?

Follow this link, plenty of info on Google

https://www.google.com/search?client=tablet-android-lenovo&ei=CXiWXLKIHJmU1fAPlcqeuAM&q=John+Knight+Golden+Galleon+Great+Yarmouth&oq=John+Knight+Golden+Galleon+Great+Yarmouth&gs_l=mobile-gws-wiz-serp.12...36499.51598..53521...0.0..0.291.3736.6j21j1......0....1.........30i10j33i21j33i160.3t5jUwzXDOE

Interestingly enough thats the perception of VW, but the facts are very different. The fault they made was to try and hide it - it was not necessary as their engines were always a lot cleaner than many others and indeed still are - look at the Which reports to see that many well known manufacturers are a lot lot worse!

Bit like driving a Skoda - people still come out with the old jokes about skips etc - they are 60 yrs old now but people still remember, thinking they are being original!

12 hours ago, marshman said:

look at the Which reports to see that many well known manufacturers are a lot lot worse!

but read that report in full and the footnotes will tell you that as VW are known to use a defeat device in their Euro 5 Diesels "a question mark remains over the results".

The misconception is that VW's are reliable, they are not. The Polo is the only car which to make the list of 50 most reliable cars, and that they are clean, which they are not. They are cleaner than some, but dirtier than others. It is no surprise to see Renault, and their budget offshoot Dacia coming in amongst the worst cars. A bit embarrasing for Volvo to see that their Euro 6 engines produced worse test results than the Euro 5s.

It is interesting to compare the results they got testing diesel against petrol cars. My Merc Blutec Diesel for example produces 0.028g/km, well below the Euro 6 limit, but the equivelent petrol car produces 0.21g.

Martin, As we both know, most figures about anything are artificial. Figures are produced by somebody to prove a point. Rarely are ALL the figures published together, and even rarer are figures published if they don't prove the point of the person making it.

Taking engines of equal power, Petrol engines produce more Co than diesel ones. Petrol Engines produce more Co2 than diesel ones. Diesel engines produce more particulate emissions than petrol. Which one is better to live next to?

Oh and please don't get me started on Electric cars.

• Like 1

on my last (petrol) volvo the CO emissions actually measured at the last MOT were way low  (about 1% of the allowed emissions, ) but that said the car was in daily use doing 120 miles per day, so the engine ran clean as it got to temperature and stayed there for an hour or so. I am looking forward to seeing the results of the emissions test on my diesel volvo when it comes up soon as that is doing a similar run daily. the biggest problems with high emissions from cars is the lazy just pop down the road, drive round town mentality of the drivers, where the car doesnt get run up to temperature properly, and runs dirty.

John,

I meant that the CAT produces the CO2 not the engine.

Diesels work best at high load for long periods. Petrol engines don’t care.

The law says you must have a CAT they aren’t necessary to get low CO carbon monoxide emissions but the law says you have to have one? Ask why?????

To drift further ask about CFC in fridges and ozone, or DDT miss use, Eutrophication of lakes / acid rain or any number of dubious emotion founded claptrap we a were taught as facts in school.

The point being the original theories behind not using them and them being replaced with much more expensive and gosh, fully patent protected alternatives have now all been found using empirically derived evidence to be complete BS. Anyone changed anything ... Ahhhh no!!!!! I wonder why don’t you ??

M

This is the Golden Galleon moored at Reedham in 2006. It was starting to get in a sorry state. I believe someone did try to buy her with a view to possible restoration but the owner wouldn't sell. As far as I know the BA removed the vessel to St Olaves where she was scrapped.

GG.JPG

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Malanka said:

John,

I meant that the CAT produces the CO2 not the engine.

Diesels work best at high load for long periods. Petrol engines don’t care.

The law says you must have a CAT they aren’t necessary to get low CO carbon monoxide emissions but the law says you have to have one? Ask why?????

To drift further ask about CFC in fridges and ozone, or DDT miss use, Eutrophication of lakes / acid rain or any number of dubious emotion founded claptrap we a were taught as facts in school.

The point being the original theories behind not using them and them being replaced with much more expensive and gosh, fully patent protected alternatives have now all been found using empirically derived evidence to be complete BS. Anyone changed anything ... Ahhhh no!!!!! I wonder why don’t you ??

M

And don't get me started on the new car aircon refridgerant HFO-1234yf  only changed because the company that made it lobbied the Eu to change it and it's total rubbish. Doesn't last, puportedly puts out a toxic hydrogen flouride gas if the car catches fire. The great thing is it's not backwards compatible with older systems. You couldn't make it up.