Another Eye Sore

BroadAmbition

1 hour ago, JennyMorgan said:

For the record if a dog does attack you there are various way of dispatching it by way of defense. A hard kick between the front legs, for example. Stand over the dog and sharply pull its front legs apart is another effective move. This was told me by a military police dog handler who also told me that ramming my fist down its throat  and kneeing it in its chest was normally fatal but I doubt that I could ever have maintained my cool in order to do that! 

I would hate to do that to any dog but then I wouldn't wish to end up in hospital either! 

I would be far happier if it could be said that ALL staffies were friendly towards people but they are not thus I shall remain cautious in their company. 

Sincerely wishing Miles a speedy recovery. Having had an unprovoked dog run up and jump at me on my bike, leaving me with a three inch scar along my thumb, I can only sympathize with him and others who have been attacked by 'friendly' dogs.

Mind boggling.

I can see two major problems with all this. Firstly you have the default reaction of the animal rights fanatics whose default reaction is usually "It's your own fault, you shouldn't have upset the dog"

Secondly, bearing in mind that not everybody has the size and weight of your average military policeman, what will your average six/seven stone alsation or rottweiler be doing while you are trying to pull his legs apart, stuff your fist down his throat (Without the benefit of inch thick gloves !) or hoping he keeps still long enough to get a knee anywhere near his chest.

I can see why such advice normally doesn't make it to the public domain !

If a dogs mouth is too small for a fist perhaps a couple of fingers will do, so long as you don't need them for a few days.

I have no idea of the average day in the life of an MP but I suspect he has a lot more experience of this than me.

My sympathies to MW, no-one should expect that to happen, young lives have been lost in the past.

• Like 5

I have been bitten twice during surveys, both by jack russels. The owners had assured me they were fine. They bite and don't let go and the injuries are painful.

The first one recieved a swift kick across the room and the second one felt the full force of a tool box. The owners were upset that I had hit their furbabies, but not as upset as I was.

I now never go into a house unless any dog is out in the garden or in a cage.

It wasn't the dogs fault, they were defending their space, it was the owners, they shouldn't be allowed to keep pets.

• Like 5

Once had a small British Bulldog who wouldn`t let me out of the bedroom, he stood in the doorway growling. Called the owner who laughed and said Well, he`s never done that before! Then there was a Doberman who was real cute until I stood up then I saw the other side of him. Now I`m with psychic all dogs must be shut in the kitchen or garden.

• Like 4

Seen the tweets, 300 signatures for his campaign now. Scrolling down I see the dog has been put down. Off the lead.... but inadequate control measures in place evidently. As Mr W states could have been a child. Dogs that can’t be controlled need to be kept on the lead or wear a muzzle if they can’t enjoy a little freedom at home. Wishing M speedy healing so he can get back to painting his boat.

• Like 3

For the record I was riding along a road and a black lab ran out of the owner's driveway when it then jumped up at me, tearing a strip of skin and flesh out of my thumb. No provocation whatsoever on my part.

MM, a firm jerk is apparently the best way to pull the front legs apart! Even at my age, if my life or that of my wife was on the line then I would like to think that I would have the courage to do it. Miles was lucky in that it only went for his leg. 

I'm afraid that the 'my dog does no wrong' fraternity need to be more honest with themselves.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

I'm afraid that the 'my dog does no wrong' fraternity need to be more honest with themselves.

I’m afraid that the ‘my dog does no wrong’ fraternity is usually the ‘I do no wrong’ fraternity as well. 

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, vanessan said:

I’m afraid that the ‘my dog does no wrong’ fraternity is usually the ‘I do no wrong’ fraternity as well. 

Who are also the "I'm entitled to do what I want" fraternity 🙁

• Like 4

Sadly there are the odd rogue dogs just as there are rogue humans etc and you cannot justify or anticipate their actions, however in most cases there is usually a trigger to attacks often of a protective or defensive nature, I have been bitten 3 times and in each case although I was not at fault there were other outside influences that triggered those attacks and in each case I didn`t blame the dogs.

I have also grown up with dogs since childhood and although I had complete trust in the dogs we have had I would never leave a child alone with one or leave one loose with strangers especially on my own property where the dogs protective instincts will be at there highest.

This is possibly another sad case where a dog has been destroyed for doing whats natural just protecting its territory and owners, I have every sympathy with MW or anyone bitten by a dog and while there are lessons to be learnt I hope it dosn`t turn into another witch hunt.

Fred

• Like 3

Once again we have a situation where so few of the circumstances are known to us that to apportion any blame to any of Mr. Weston, the dog or it's owner is ill advised.

A bad owner does not necessarily lead to a bad dog, any more than a good owner being a guarantee of a good dog.

In this case, the dog has been destroyed, which saddens me. It might have been the right course of action, but then again not knowing the background for the attack, I see no way of making that call.

• Like 3

As a dog owner , we have two border collies , I understand that this can be an emotive subject , the dog which attacked Mr Weston was seen out and about whilst wearing a muzzle (as mentioned in the YouTube video) so its behaviour must have been known to its owner(s) who were Incredibly irresponsible to invite a stranger aboard without restraining and muzzling the dog, especially since they were asked about the dog by Mr Weston when boarding .

If events are taken as we have been told then yes I feel the only responsible action was to euthanise the dog .

I hope Mr Weston recovers from his injuries fully not only physically but also from the psychological scars he seems (by his own words) to be suffering.

• Like 2

On reflection I agree with MM on this, we just don't and probably can't know enough to judge. For example many dogs wear muzzles when out and about simply to stop them scavenging and eating things that could harm them.

Whatever the circumstances, it is a horrible thing to happen, I don't know the gentleman or his videos but certainly wish him a speedy recovery.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

Yes I know it's a misquote, but I couldn't resist it. What is this youtube clip you mention.

the dog which attacked Mr Weston was seen out and about whilst wearing a muzzle 

Perhaps it would stand you in good stead if you did not try to make mischief out of every circumstance on this forum.  Mr Weston is a forum member and each one of us should respect each other.   You dont have to like or agree with other members of the forum but we can still all be respectful.   

31 minutes ago, Hylander said:

the dog which attacked Mr Weston was seen out and about whilst wearing a muzzle 

Perhaps it would stand you in good stead if you did not try to make mischief out of every circumstance on this forum.  Mr Weston is a forum member and each one of us should respect each other.   You dont have to like or agree with other members of the forum but we can still all be respectful.   

I shall consider myself on the naughty step for at least an hour!

• Haha 2

As it happens Miles Weston used to be a forum member but was banned way back he has however contacted the team and asked that the following be posted as he can read the forum as a guest.

Hi,

My name is Miles Weston.

'Thank you to those who have posted good wishes.

It gave me no pleasure or satisfaction whatsoever in pursuing the death of this dog. It was easier to accept that as opposed to having to deal with another person being seriously injured or a minor being killed.

I would urge all boaters to insist dogs around others are all on leads at all times and furthermore not to underestimate the physical damage an uncontrolled dog can do.

Enjoy your summer.'

Regards

• Like 3

Wise words from Miles Weston. 

As one who has friends and relatives in the farming industry I am well aware of the damage inflicted on livestock by uncontrolled domestic dogs. We now frequently hear or read of deaths among the Norfolk seal population, needless deaths inflicted, once again, by domestic dogs.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Hylander said:

See his you tube video.

I have searched youtube and also a certain forum but cannot find a video about this. Maybe someone can link it here - if allowed?

I only ask because I was very nearly savaged by a bull terrier type dog which was loose on the moorings at Sutton Staithe boatyard last year when I was there for the legitimate reason of viewing a boat for sale.  The person who appeared to be the dog's owner (when I asked him)  turned his back and walked off onto a private boat.  I just wondered if it might have been the same one.

While its not a legal requirement in the UK, Staffies are among the breeds that are recommended to be muzzled when out in public, unfortunately for Miles in this instance the Staffie was not in public, but aboard the owners boat.

No wonder I don't sign in to these forums often. Its easy! Just send in somebody to chop the top off the pile of rubbish with a damned great chainsaw and then dump a load of spare rhond , those "hovers" that plague the area would do nicely,  around the damned thing  and then bang in some warning posts around it and let nature take its course with the rest of it.

Its a cheap and easy solution so what's the problem? Ah! provided it is a 9.00am. start, 15 minute tea break in the morning, hour for lunch, 15 minute tea break in the afternoon and no knocking off early! Four bods and a workboat should get that sorted in a day and a bit.

Mind you BA don't have much control over their staff do they?   :default_biggrin:    :default_gbxhmm:   

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Minigem said:

No wonder I don't sign in to these forums often. Its easy! Just send in somebody to chop the top off the pile of rubbish with a damned great chainsaw and then dump a load of spare rhond , those "hovers" that plague the area would do nicely,  around the damned thing  and then bang in some warning posts around it and let nature take its course with the rest of it.

Its a cheap and easy solution so what's the problem? Ah! provided it is a 9.00am. start, 15 minute tea break in the morning, hour for lunch, 15 minute tea break in the afternoon and no knocking off early! Four bods and a workboat should get that sorted in a day and a bit.

Mind you BA don't have much control over their staff do they?   :default_biggrin:    :default_gbxhmm:   

I had to look back at the title of this thread to understand what Minigem was posting about - I had completely forgotten! It’s drifted but sort of still on topic. Par for the course I guess. :default_wink:

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, grendel said:

I have pm'd a link to the video to you Vaughan

Thank you for that Peter. This must have been a harrowing experience for Miles, especially as he seems to have been on board to offer the owner a bit of free technical advice. There is no film of the actual dog so I can't tell if it was the same one that nearly attacked me. I suppose I am lucky in that I was just walking along the pontoon and not actually on board the dog owner's boat.

I must say that from what I saw of those moorings and the people living there that morning, if I had bought the boat that was advertised for sale,  I would not have kept it there.

Sorry, did I say living there? Living on board boats on marina moorings is, of course, not allowed on the Broads.

Is it.