Another Eye Sore

BroadAmbition

Dismantle in situ as far as possible to remove eyesore element then place yellow poles to warn of mooring hazard.

Not an ideal solution but one that works under the situation and will improve the look of the place.

• Like 3

The EU did a lot of research on end of life inland craft some 10-12 years ago so clearly a Europe & Worldwide problem - maybe the answer is a Scrappage  Scheme with an appointed breaker maybe small subsidy & publicity to ensure boats "on the edge" are dealt with before they are abandoned.

I think Vaughan is absolutely right - it will be a logistical nightmare and, to top it all, a pollution spill in that area especially could be a nightmare! I know it could be contained but to have a spill in that area, one of the last untouched fens, would be beyond contemplation and I suspect that that even Natural England may baulk at it!

Sutton Fen ,the other side of the dyke is an area not even the BA can go in on a regular basis - it is literally untouched apart from I believe, a bi annual flora and fauna survey I believe. This will not help but think about a little - the costs mount up at the mere thought! Probably the worst place you could dump it!!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ray said:

Dismantle in situ as far as possible to remove eyesore element then place yellow poles to warn of mooring hazard.

Not an ideal solution but one that works under the situation and will improve the look of the place.

Take the top structure off and fill the hull with soil, assuming it is concrete. It will soon disappear in the reeds.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Vaughan said:

I am not sure I would like to be offered the job of re-floating that, in its present location!

Floating reed beds all around, no road access, no hardstanding for a crane, and water too shallow to approach with a barge or wherry.  It would have to be done with divers building a plywood coffer-dam all round it, before pumping it out.  That all assumes it hasn't got a hole in the bottom, or if it is indeed Seacrete, that the hull has not cracked apart at one of the corners.  It has been known before!

And then what to do with it?  I very much doubt that the slip at Sutton Staithe would handle it, so maybe Richardsons.  Would they really want to be involved in a job like that?

The fact remains, it is not sunk in the navigation, so it is not a BA obligation.  If the land-owner objects to its presence, they can pursue the boat owner through the courts.  Which would be rather akin to tilting at windmills.

Anyone else got any good ideas?

Or on a low tide 2 or 3 high power fire pumps, board over any obvious holes, would soon rise, seen broads boats deeper than that raised using that method. Drag to Richardson's or sutton and crane out.

Just a couple of thoughts: Do we know who the owner is? Do we know he has no funds? If someone were to refloat it, would he then come out of the woodwork and claim it back and if so, how would you claim back any costs incurred unless you had his prior permission?

Happened to me with 1936 MG SA which had been dumped in a field for 20 years. Luckily a legal notice had been posted giving a set time for the owner to come forward. So should a legal notice be given to the owner and by whom?

That's made simpler hasn't it? No. :default_coat:

Once that's cleared up I would think it would make a good project for a student looking for a degree in environmental studies.

Ok, I lied about "a couple".

1 hour ago, Bernard said:

Or on a low tide 2 or 3 high power fire pumps, board over any obvious holes, would soon rise, seen broads boats deeper than that raised using that method. Drag to Richardson's or sutton and crane out.

Away you go then!  No-one's stopping you.

Just take another look at the photos, to see that the  freeboard is underwater and there are no decks, as such.

And once you have done it, who is going to pay for your efforts?

1 hour ago, Vaughan said:

Away you go then!  No-one's stopping you.

Just take another look at the photos, to see that the  freeboard is underwater and there are no decks, as such.

And once you have done it, who is going to pay for your efforts?

I never said I had the funds or kit to do it, why the hostile response, just saying how it could be done, have seen it with low tides with the freeboard above the water, it's not an impossible job.

Sorry Bernard - but of course the water goes up and down! I have been on the Broads long enough to know that!

However the NTL (Normal Tidal Limit) is an officially recognised limit of tidal influence and  is marked as such on OS maps for the various rivers concerned. It is an average and does not mean that above that, tidal influence is not felt. The point being in this issue, is that as it is classified as above tidal waters, so salvage rights applicable lower down may well not apply - as always I am open to be proved wrong!!!

I am sure that others will explain more fully (or I hope they will! ) but it is the legal head of tide for many issues. The NTL on the Bure is outside the top entrance to Wroxham Broad, and the Thurne at the top end Candle Dyke where it enters Heigham Sound.

Nice day today to relax and chill and think of the finer things in live. Consider the things that we can do to make other peoples lives easier. Tomorrow and next week look good too. Best wishes to all, here’s to a good natured discussion. :default_biggrin:

• Like 2

For all of you that really dislike Miles W,  he has just been attacked by a Staffy,.  I am hoping that this does not bring you joy.  He spent 2 days in hospital after an op to repair the damage.  

See his you tube video. 

my aunt used to breed staffys, even had a crufts champion, they were the stupidest dogs you ever saw, her mum next door had one of them and one evening her husband popped round and didnt turn on the light when he went in. once he had dragged himself and the dog to the light switch and turned it on the dog let him go and looked most apologetic, they guard their humans very well, maybe the dog thought Miles was threatening his human.

For the record if a dog does attack you there are various way of dispatching it by way of defense. A hard kick between the front legs, for example. Stand over the dog and sharply pull its front legs apart is another effective move. This was told me by a military police dog handler who also told me that ramming my fist down its throat  and kneeing it in its chest was normally fatal but I doubt that I could ever have maintained my cool in order to do that! 

I would hate to do that to any dog but then I wouldn't wish to end up in hospital either! 

I would be far happier if it could be said that ALL staffies were friendly towards people but they are not thus I shall remain cautious in their company. 

Sincerely wishing Miles a speedy recovery. Having had an unprovoked dog run up and jump at me on my bike, leaving me with a three inch scar along my thumb, I can only sympathize with him and others who have been attacked by 'friendly' dogs.

• Like 2